• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Inflatable Lifeboat (T20)

far-trader

SOC-14 10K
Springing from a discussion here (page 4 actually), I've come up with the following Inflatable Lifeboat. The general design rules are:

1 - Hull - Using a standard flattened sphere hull as the base form it is constructed of a modified Hoberman Sphere. The hull is built of the frame and flexible covering with an expanding alloy foam to inflate and rigidize the hull when deployed. Cost for the hull is calculated as double, before the standard design discount. The hull is 10.0dT when deployed but only 5.0dT when collapsed. It can not be deflated once deployed.

2 - Helm - A standard small craft helm is included but built to be folded to half volume. This doubles the base cost. It includes two crew seats and a small airlock/fresher.

3 - Computer - Only the basic Model 0 (a MTU rule) is provided. Cost and volume are subsumed in the normal helm. This includes a very basic computer and avionics package with limited sensors and comms.

4 - Engineering - A 2g thruster and small dedicated fusion powerplant are included. Also built to be stored in half the normal space they are not serviceable while stored but are built to be maintenance free until initiated. Costs are double. Fuel tankage is good for 4 weeks but is empty and collapsed until deployed, at which time it is filled by siphon from the main ship's tank.

5 - Passengers - Again built to collapse to half volume the ship can seat 8 in comfort once deployed, at double the cost of normal seats.

6 - Cargo - An allowance of 1.0dT is made for survival gear. This may include up to 0.5dT included when the lifeboat is ordered and installed, with the other 0.5dT available once it is deployed. Optionally the crew and passengers can just load up to 1.0dT when the lifeboat is deployed. The cost of any included and stored gear is not included and must be provided at the time of order.

One such lifeboat station (5.0dT) is included per 1,000dT of ship, in all standard Imperial designs, adjacent to the hull and handy to the crew and/or passengers. The lifeboat itself must be purchased separately. Once deployed the lifeboat cannot be reinstalled and must be replaced. The station may be used for other purposes if empty. It is often used as an additional, large, ship's locker.

The lifeboat inflates and deploys attached by it's airlock for access. Inflation and powerup takes less than a minute and is totally automatic with the push of the local button or computer command once the safety interlock is released remotely or manually.

Sanitary facilities are primitive and room to stretch your legs nearly nonexistent if full or doubled up. The best option is to make a habitable planet-fall and use the ship as a shelter till rescue.

The lifeboat includeds a standard ELT that should run indefinitely, squawking GK for rescuers to home in on.

Inflatable Lifeboat - TL9

Hull +10.0T Mcr 1.4
Flattened Sphere - fully streamlined once deployed.

Helm -4.0T Mcr 0.2
Seats 2 crew and includes small airlock/fresher once deployed.

Eng. -0.9T Mcr 3.0
2G drive and powerplant, fuel 0.2T once deployed good for 4 weeks

Seats -4.0T Mcr 0.4
Seats 8 in comfort, double capacity possible but cramped.

Hold -1.0T
May inlcude up to 0.5T of nonperishables at time of order if purchased separately. No access until deployed.

Final cost after discount is Mcr 4.0 and time for delivery from order at any class A or B starport is 5 weeks. Ready to install Lifeboats may be available but will not include preinstalled survival gear in the hold. Replacing or installing in the station will take one day.

Used models may also be available, often at less than half the new cost and may be in service as cheap orbital taxis, especially in class C starport, and lower, systems.

So, as always... comments
critiques :( flames
file_23.gif

Very nice design Dan.Was reading the original thread & "saw" the light pop on in your head when the idea was posted,Knew you'd have something up real soon.My 1st thought was an advanced base(from LLB3)w/a engine & controls.Again good job.Going to intro it into MTU.

Thanks WarriorKnight, if it works for you I'm a thrilled designer :D

I just realised though that while I pointed to the inspiration I should really credit it here too so...

Thanks Madarin Dude and kaladorn for the inspiration :cool: and of course everyone else in the thread, it all helped to gel the idea.

Good to see that some of the ideas get fleshed out. I just thought that if it is only for a few uses it does nto nee to be as robust as a cutter or pinnace so then there can be some considerations or space.

Thanks Madarin Dude, I had no good ideas on how to make it a cheap disposable (at least not easily with the rules sets) so I went for pricey but compact. The bonus is its got some value after you use it, if you can get it to a market, and of course there's salvage oppurtunity for PC rescuers ;)

Now before anybody (myself included) gets too attached to this tech I'd like to see some worst case munchkinism PC twists using it and see how evil it could really be. My PC hat doesn't fit when my head is swelled up from playing GM
file_22.gif

The best I can come up with yet is:

1 - Build a carrier that holds a lot of compressed Fighters (twice as many to the same hull) and when it is on scene the Fighters are inflated and deployed.

Pretty easy fixes here I think.

First the form could be unsuitable for high gees (maximum 2G).

Second the form is also unable to mount ship size hardpoint weapons.

Third the design cannot be armored.

Fourth the double cost for all components is going to make it inefficient as heck.

Fifth, unless you expect 50% loss where do they retreat to?
file_23.gif

So you might see some used in spec ops where you don't need all that and the structure would probably be better for stealth tech as a bonus. And it can be brought in on a small ship (even a Type S) and deployed with none the wiser.

So anybody else see some exploitable frontier?

Problems, comments:

1. 2G? Why? 1G works too.
2. Batteries instead of a plant? Feasible?
3. Fuel - No way no way no way you want to be dependent on the main ship's fuel transfer system working. That's just a baaaad idea for a lifeboat.
4. Restrictions: No armour (check!), reduced hull integrity leading to lower G capabilities (check!), perhaps bonuses to internal explosions or other critical hits (lacks bulkheading and proper reinforcement), no large weapons mounts (check!).
5. I'd put enough computer in to accomodate an autopilot so zero crew are required, and voice command so someone can give it some simple instructions (along with the mandatory DVD on the lifeboat that plays shortly after launch, outlining features, safety procedures, operations procedures, and likely survival strategies).

Thanks for the input kaladorn.

Originally posted by kaladorn:
Problems, comments:

1. 2G? Why? 1G works too.
Originally it was 1G but there was room for 2G and the cost was still low enough and I figured I might as well maximize it for the fully streamlined hull. Besides you get away faster and can go farther. So it was just a personal preference

2. Batteries instead of a plant? Feasible?
Not sure really, having a hard time figuring out the conversion of T20 batteries from the vehicle design sequence to the ship design sequence. Every time I think I have it nailed it looks wrong.

3. Fuel - No way no way no way you want to be dependent on the main ship's fuel transfer system working. That's just a baaaad idea for a lifeboat.
So you think that may be design flaw ;) Could be, could be I'm just evil, you will note it also has no fuel scoops
file_23.gif

Well actually it was to abide by the original compressed stored idea without introducing complications.

4. Restrictions: ...perhaps bonuses to internal explosions or other critical hits (lacks bulkheading and proper reinforcement), ...
Ahhh, yes I like (check!)

5. I'd put enough computer in to accomodate an autopilot so zero crew are required, and voice command so someone can give it some simple instructions (along with the mandatory DVD on the lifeboat that plays shortly after launch, outlining features, safety procedures, operations procedures, and likely survival strategies).
Sounds like a very nice top ticket option for the extra 1.0T, fit in a Model 1 computer and electronics. Allow it to be stored in 0.5T folded, and when its deployed the survivors have 0.5T to throw survival gear into.

Originally posted by far-trader:
1. 2G? Why? 1G works too.[/qb]
Originally it was 1G but there was room for 2G and the cost was still low enough and I figured I might as well maximize it for the fully streamlined hull.
[/QUOTE]

For the space, I'd have put in the fuel I talked about or batteries.

Not sure really, having a hard time figuring out the conversion of T20 batteries from the vehicle design sequence to the ship design sequence. Every time I think I have it nailed it looks wrong.
I might give an MT version a spin.

you will note it also has no fuel scoops
file_23.gif
Scoops might be handy, but having on board fuel so you aren't dependent on the ship's fuel system being in working order (imagine a power failure, for instance) just seems like a minimal requirement (IMO).

Sounds like a very nice top ticket option for the extra 1.0T, fit in a Model 1 computer and electronics.
Read : Requirement! (at least for civilian liners - merchant crew could get away with needing a pilot)

Originally posted by far-trader:
1. 2G? Why? 1G works too.[/qb]
Originally it was 1G but there was room for 2G and the cost was still low enough and I figured I might as well maximize it for the fully streamlined hull.
[/QUOTE]

For the space, I'd have put in the fuel I talked about or batteries.

I might give an MT version a spin.

you will note it also has no fuel scoops
file_23.gif
Scoops might be handy, but having on board fuel so you aren't dependent on the ship's fuel system being in working order (imagine a power failure, for instance) just seems like a minimal requirement (IMO).

Sounds like a very nice top ticket option for the extra 1.0T, fit in a Model 1 computer and electronics.
Read : Requirement! (at least for civilian liners - merchant crew could get away with needing a pilot)

Ever consider inflatable fuel tanks filled with hydrogen gas? 1 manuever drive unit takes up 1 ton of space, 14 cubic meters, that itself will take two map squares. Then there is the fusion power plant which is 1 ton + 1 ton of hydrogen, that is another 6.5 cubic meters + the 1 ton of hydrogen at 1 bar pressure is 795 tons of volume displacement, allow 1 ton for the habitation sphere and your looking at an inflated craft of 799 tons, deflated its 4 tons including the convential liquid hydrogen tank that's discarded once the hydrogen balloon is inflated I think using hydrogen balloons instead of fuel tanks makes for some very interesting spaccraft.

Wet Navy by terry Innes has flexible hull material rules, as does Wood, WInd, Fire and Steam.

Those are awesome if you are doing MT designs for this. You can even meet the armor requirements that way...

Back