• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Imperial Law

I remember reading somewhere that the body of imperial law is quite small ; i suppose it would have to be to fit with the huge diversity of the imperium . Assuming that this has not already been done , isn't it time we developed it ?

A starting point would be to determine areas covered ,
off the top of my head ---

currency ,
trade ,
piracy ,
slavery ,
taxes and tithes ,
military prohibitions and obligations

and others........??

IMPERIAL CONSTITUTION

Article One -

1) Member worlds shall owe allegience only to the third imperium , and not to any other interstellar organisation , trade group , cartel , government or similar body ......

(lawer-types , i need your help here)

That's a rather difficult proposition from a legal perspective. How far does an oath of allegiance go - I owe a duty of trust and confidence to my employer (well, actually i'm self employed) - does my allegiance to my employer contradict the bit after the comma of article one. The same can be said by the use of the word 'only' in the first part. Is a world where the population is employed by Susag going to be prosecuted under Imperial law for being in that job and thus breaching Article One?

I would tend to draft such a term in less exclusive terms. Possibly I would draft it in terms of the allegiance in the final instance, rather than in 'only' terms. Otherwise, the law will catch all relationships of trust and confidence.

Remember, the Imperium is a Merchantile empire or that is its main thrust. Things that would interfer with trade between the stars would be prohibited by law. This is enforced by the Imperium having the Interstellar Military and treaty authority.

It is somewhat set up on the original powers of the Federal Goverment in the USA. However unlike the USA it had aristocracy and its inherant problems and advantages.

LIW

I suspect it's been left deliberately vague to give GMs the elbow room necessary to run their milieus at a level they feel necessary for their gaming groups.

IMTU:

The Ruling Nobility have quite a bit of authority. In matters of justice & law, the MoJ is around and handles the vast majority of cases, but application can be made to transfer cases directly into the Court of the Local Noble. The Local Noble may have a Justicar appointed to handle it, or may handle it themselves, though with Subsector Dukes and higher, the only cases that get handled by the Local Noble personally are those involving other nobles. While the MoJ follows Imperial Law (where available) and case precedents, the Noble Court can issue pretty much whatever verdict it wants, restrained only by how it feels public opinion (in small part) and noble/megacorporate feeling (in large part) will react. IMTU, most Ruling Nobles pride themselves on the impartiality of their handling of the law in their Courts (but this is also probably not the case in most other TUs).

In any event, what I'm trying to say is, in disputes where the limited amount of written Imperial Law does not cover the matter, and the case is transfered to the Court of the Local Noble with jurisdiction, the decision over how to handle it is largely up to that Local Noble. IMTU, although scrupulous when handling criminal or security matters, the Imperial Nobility are not so scrupulous when handling trade and commerce, and will often rig decisions to favor themselves and their Fief whenever possible. In cases when their immediate Superior Noble is making a decision affecting them, there will be intense lobbying efforts, in person, and through third parties (the Sector Duke's relatives will be besieged with gifts, persuasion, anything in an attempt to curry a wide-front favor; it's all a grand game of Court Politics), in an attempt to persuade that Superior Noble to make the "correct" decision.

This . . . how to say it . . . variability in many matters creates a disparate set of rulings between Subsectors (and occasionally between worlds). One of the jobs of Sector Dukes is to spend time working with his Subsector Dukes to iron out radical differences in individual case rulings between the Subsectors in order to given the MoJ a body of case law that is less than totally schizoid to deal with.

Unknowen number (most probaly an early one)

The Imperium shall not interfrar with Local Law and or Coustom, Excepting where it is Ligitimaly Requsted (see Ch.XX Sect.XXX)or deamed to be in the over-riding intrists of the Imperium by an Aproprate Athorty (see Ch.XX Sect.XXX). Futher the Imperium reserves the right to Inact, Enable and Enforce any Laws, Stactuates, Rrgluasions Ect. that it so choses apon and within suspsfic tertories and limitasions and those Enlisted, Enroled, Commisioned, Apointed Ect. to its Service and or Athority(see Ch.XX Sect.XXX and Ch.XX Sect.XXX)......

Translasion the Imperium will do what ever the hell it want's but is just as happy to let things run themselves most of the time, but it will keep the peace and mantain good order where it wants or needs to (like at starports and apon its baces), don't forget the Third Imperium is an Aurtoracy not a nice representative Democracy like most of us live in, its just to big to run as a police state all the time from border to border, besides police states arn't the most productive or stable ways to run a peace time govenment, so the hands off aproch has bean adopted.

I have never understood what the structure of Imperial law is, or in fact whether there is any concept of the rule of law at all. It seems that there is a MOJ, but then there are early adventures where Imperial power is exercised in an entirely arbitrary manner (LKW has explained somewhere that the early Imperium was to be a bad Star Wars type entity). I consider the concept of due process to be an essential mark of a 'legal' system - is it present in the 3I?.

There seem to be Edicts of the Emperor that have force of law. For example the edict granting sentients rights in the Imperium - but what are those rights? Are they by convention? Case law? Constitution?

Are there central courts? Circuit judges who travel from world to world? Baronial Courts tied to the local noble's fief's? Are their courts at all or does (as is possible reading JTAS) the Imperium work on the basis of military tribunals that execute swift 'justice'?

I must confess, I eagerly await LKW's nobles book on the Nobs to get a greater insight into all this stuff.

Originally posted by Elliot:
That's a rather difficult proposition from a legal perspective. How far does an oath of allegiance go - I owe a duty of trust and confidence to my employer (well, actually i'm self employed) - does my allegiance to my employer contradict the bit after the comma of article one. The same can be said by the use of the word 'only' in the first part. Is a world where the population is employed by Susag going to be prosecuted under Imperial law for being in that job and thus breaching Article One?

I would tend to draft such a term in less exclusive terms. Possibly I would draft it in terms of the allegiance in the final instance, rather than in 'only' terms. Otherwise, the law will catch all relationships of trust and confidence.
-----i assumed that it was the 'world' that owed allegience rather than the individual citizens . as the imperium is an interstellar organisation it would be the highest organisational level of the world which is a memeber of the imperium , i.e. government(s) or megacorp . these organisations have freedom to rule as determined locally except for specifics in the small body of imperial law ( no slavery , piracy , taxes to be paid , making land/space available for military use etc..? ) there would aslo be commitments from the imperium to do the best it could to support trade , keep shipping routes clear of piracy etc .

the reply to Elliot's question is in LBB 8 Robots and backed up in the article Signial GK & the viris and also in survival margin
There seem to be Edicts of the Emperor that have force of law. For example the edict granting sentients rights in the Imperium - but what are those rights? Are they by convention? Case law? Constitution?
and it sais Whoever the Emperor sais is a Sentient and they have what ever rights the Emperor grants them, that beaing said susceive Emperors have decleared the majiority of Organic Sentient beaings to be Sentient under the laws of the Imperium and to make things easer their is a bill of Sentient Rights in effect that can be revocked at any time by the Emperor or suspended by order of selected offichials (including members of the higher nobility) with in a limited time and astrographic frame-work. dont forget the MOOT may aurthrise a "Right of Assinasion" or suspened the ruling Emperor from office, nobles and offichials may sanchion or (in some caces) have sanchioned there underlings, if anyone gets to far out of line the must pay the piper (posibaly with their lives) so the Imperium works bacause it is in everyone's best intrests to behave and play nice

My lord Duckfinder,
When I say 'I' i was using it in the sense of 'I' a legal person. A world can be an 'I' if it has legal personality (i.e. it can sue and be sued in its own right - something that I consider membership of the 3I logically must grant).

The difficulty with a 'only to the 3i' loyalty clause is that if the planet's only employer and raison d'etre is a megacorp (and that must be many planet's in the 3i given the stranglehold over the economy that megacorps seem to have) then it is guilty of treason if it has any conflict of loyalty.

For example, what would happen if the MOJ demanded disclosure of commercially sensitive files on the megacorp - would the sorry ass of a planetary leader be guilty of treason if he tipped off the Megacorp's sector VP? Or refused to disclose as that would put the economy of his world at risk of said Megacorp pulling out.

The answer may well be yes - he is guilty of treason - but as the Imperial family have lots of shares in Megacorps one would think that this legal problem would be softened over.

In fact - what is the 3I in this sense? The MOJ, the Emperor? A metaphor for a commercial union of 11,000 worlds?

As to 313's point - I agree - but the ability of Emperor's to revoke the edict of sentient rights or for dukes/counts/generals/admirals/office juniors in the MOJ to revoke the edict at will seems to me to smack of arbitrary power and not a legal order at all. I see it like this: no due process, no judicial authority to review, hear and determine exercises of power contrary to edicts = no law. If law applies to you because you are a lowly worker, but not to me because I am a Duke, it is no law at all in my books.

So perhaps 'Imperial law' is nothing more than an ideological tool used to justify the fact that the Imperium is in fact an Empire that rests on the arbitrary whims of men not laws (which is to amplify and paraphrase Mr Miller's summary of the Imperium).

Well, here is what I have on the separation of indvidual world governments and the Imperium:

LIMITED MEMBER WORLD AUTONOMY (LMWA)

Each world admitted into the Imperium under a Member World Charter (and not conquered), is allowed Limited Member World Autonomy, or LMWA. The LMWA allows a world's government and inhabitants specific freedoms in exchange for agreeing to certain duties.

LMWA, Freedoms
1-The internal politics, laws, and elections of a world will not be interfered with by the Imperial Government as long as the specified Duties and Restrictions are followed.
2-The Imperium will extradite criminals wanted on a Member World to that Jurisdiction if the Imperial Citizen is not already wanted by the Imperium or another Member World. In cases where the Imperial Citizen has committed a crime against the Imperium, Imperial Jurisdiction takes absolute precedence. In cases where more than one Member World has filed criminal charges against an Imperial Citizen, the local Ruling Noble will rule on who is allowed to take custody (the exact noble to decide depends on how far spread the Imperial Citizen's crimes go; if crimes are lodged on Regina/Regina and Terra/Sol, it would take a ruling from the Emperor to decide who received jurisdiction, as the crime was trans-Domain).
3-Member Worlds are entitled to defend their world. They are granted Local Naval Jurisdiction out to 100 Diameters of the surface of their world, the world's Inherent Defense Zone. Member worlds may apply for and be granted the right (by the Sector Duke or above) to take jurisdiction over the 100 Diameter zone of other worlds within the same star system. If a Member World has control of a world in another star system, it may also apply for and be granted control over that world's Inherent Defense Zone. Member World naval vessels may not equip jump drives unless they have been granted the multi world control waiver noted above, in which case they may further apply for per-ship jump equipage waivers (the local Sector Duke would decide exactly how many ships to allow to equip jump drives).
4-Member Worlds are entitled to be defended by the Imperial Military, as judged necessary and expedient by the Sector Duke and Sector Admiral (and possibly higher authorities, in some cases). (Note: Except in the case of general war, this means that a world will be defended against any attack.)
5-Imperial Citizens from each Member World are permitted to conduct trade throughout the Imperium with the sole exception of Red Zone worlds. No Member World may establish any form of taxation, duty, tariff, etc., against any other Member World that is not levied against all Member Worlds evenly.
6-Each Starport managed by the Starport Authority Bureau of the Ministry of Commerce is Imperial Territory, both ground and orbital facilities. Imperial Law applies fully in this Territory. Non SPA Starports must adhere to all Imperial Law regulations regarding safety, traffic control, storage of goods, and legality of goods (overseen by SPA regulators).
7-The Imperium may purchase territory on Member Worlds, and if it does so, this territory is Imperial Territory. This applies to Starports run by the Imperium, Ministry Offices, Noble Offices, Military and Scout Bases, etc.

&nbspLMWA, Duties and Restrictions
1-No world may succeed from the Imperium under any circumstances, for any reason or cause of belief.
2-The Imperial Human Rights Accord must be observed. (1)
3-The Imperial Rules of War must be observed.
4-Imperial Criminals must be extradited to Imperial Jurisdiction.
5-Imperial Citizens are allowed freedom of movement off their homeworld. (2)
6-Any Imperial Citizen may attempt to enlist in any Imperial Service at will, and no Member World may block this under any circumstances. (3)
7-No Member World may form any type of political or military alliance between themselves and any other Member World or domestic organization, or any foreign nation or organization. (4)
8-The Imperium and its hierarchies are the Government of the State, and no other may supplant it. (5)

(1) The Imperial Human Rights Accord was one of the primary incentives used to persuade planetary populations of candidate worlds of the worth of joining the Imperium.
(2) Access to offworld travel cannot be made impossible by regulation, obfuscation, or trickery. A handful of extremist governments use propaganda to persuade their populations that leaving is a bad idea; some even use regulations to make it difficult, though as noted these difficulties cannot be so extensive as to render leaving effectively impossible. I3, the ISS, and the local Ruling Nobility (and their appointed Officers) conduct observations to assure that this rule is obeyed.
(3) The Imperial Services are under no obligation to accept unsolicited job applications, though, and can turn away anyone they don't need. Condition 5 is a requisite for Condition 6, and if this were not the case, there would be insufficient personnel to fill the positions of the Imperial Government (most especially the Navy, Army, and Marines).
(4) This does not stop Member Worlds from owning other worlds wholesale, though, in this case, it is not an "alliance", but rather outright extension. In some cases, Member Worlds were originally admitted to the Imperium as a cluster, with one world effectively governing others (Captive Government). However, as the centuries grind on, most worlds subject to such governments tend to form revolutions to throw off such governance, and as long as the conflict does not escalate beyond certain parameters, the Imperium will not interfere. LMWA Freedom #4, though, usually prevents the reverse, as Member Worlds under attack by another may request protection from the Imperium (and that the Imperium has a much tougher time ignoring).
(5) No Member World may establish any organization that supplants the functions of the Imperial Government, or otherwise attempts to overtake the responsibilities that fall upon any part of it.
In all cases, the Imperium reserves unlimited rights to intervene in a Member World's affairs if the government violates these rules, or if they cannot prevent their citizens from violating these rules on a consistent basis. Intervention may take many forms, where military intervention by the Imperial Navy, Army, or Marines is a last resort. Intervention usually comes first in the form of the local Count ordering the world's Margrave take up a mandatory advisory role to the planetary government, a limited command authority role, where the government must follow the advice (suggestions, orders, what have you) of the Margrave in matters related to correcting the violation; protests by the planetary government in favor of alternate plans are moot at this point, if the planetary government's (or one of them, in the case of balkanized governments) previous plans to solve existing violations worked, the Count would not have had to order the Margrave to take on the direct command role. If the Margrave's advice (orders) is refused or cannot be carried out for whatever reason (reluctance, incompetence, etc.), then Imperial Interstellar Intelligence's Intervention Branch personnel are called in to implement the Margrave's advice (in whatever reasonable form the Margrave requests). If violations continue at this point, it is usually the result of active opposition. I3 can, at this point, bring in additional assistance in the form of a small army of operatives. If military opposition to violations corrections arises, then the military is called on, although the Count and Duke will view this as a failure both on the part of the Margrave and I3. In practice, results rarely escalate to the point where a Margrave is ordered to dictate to the planetary government, most such governments are well aware that opposing the Imperium is generally pointless, as so much mass can be brought to bear against them that their opposition will probably fail. Eleven hundred years of success in these matters, and the usual political education of the planetary government's rulers (during childhood, etc.), helps them to understand this. It is usually when the poorly educated claw their way into government, those who lack an appreciation of the strength of the Imperium when the mass of its power is brought to a point, or whose background makes understanding the scope of the Imperium in comparison to one world either difficult or impossible, that situations may escalate to serious levels.
Violations of the Imperial Rules of War bring more severe reactions, depending on what was done. The Imperial Navy will take immediate action without consulting anyone if it learns that any agency anywhere in the Imperium other than itself is operating, in possession of, constructing, or planning to build any Strategic Weapons System without explicit authorization from the Emperor, and after the action is ordered and underway, will then inform the appropriate parties (reports will be created and sent off within twenty-four hours), which include the Count, Duke, Archduke, and Emperor, plus I3 and the ISS. In cases where conventional military action reaches a scale where it becomes a threat to the Imperium (a decision resting with the local Count), appropriate local parties (Count and Duke, plus I3 and ISS) will be contacted and planning for appropriate (overwhelming) intervention will commence (and if the planning proves unnecessary later, it turns out to be good training). Imperial Navy elements are assembled to escort assault transports full of Imperial Marines (and, if necessary, Army units) to the target world. This usually ends the problem, quite messily.

Please remebear that even with in the frame work of Imperial Law their exists a systom of checks and balances that exsist to keep those in pisitions of athority from abusing that same athority but as the power of an individual increases the burdern decreases, one of witch is the fact that the Emperor (and the nobility)could not effectivily rule by the force of edict alone, and if they did their is a good chance that at the first oppertuinity they would be removed from office. Due Process (as a layman) reconises it would have to exist to automate the runing of the leagal (notice i didn't say Justus) systom or else nothing would get done the 3I is too large without the automasion of govermental functions like the leagal systom and to mess with thease systoms of automasion to much would be counter productive defeating their orignal intent. so as i said the 3I only works is their exist a leaveal of mutrual self intreist for every one to play nicely those that choise (or are forced) not to become outlaw or if the acts become wide spred we have the Secound Civil War (IY 1116-1130).

Originally posted by Elliot:
If law applies to you because you are a lowly worker, but not to me because I am a Duke, it is no law at all in my books.
This has been the normal situation throughout the past five or so thousand years. It's called class society. It's still true of western societies today, although a bit less obviously.

For example: drug laws are less commonly enforced in certain communities than others, some people can afford to hire expensive lawyers while others get court appointed ones, etc... It may not be "supposed" to happen, but it does.

There is also the problem of whose interests laws serve. For example, laws limiting the abilities of workers to strike favour employers over workers, while laws enforcing workplace health and safety regulations favour workers over employers. And so on...

It applies to the Imperium too.

In fact, it probably applies to the Imperium more than any present day society. The Imperium is an oligarchy - a great tangled web of rival factions, which no single faction is able to control. The Emperor certainly doesn't run the show, but instead balances the factions against each other, and acts, to a certain extent, as an arbiter.

The evidence for this lies in the activities of the megacorporations. These groups are quite literally at war with each other on dozens of worlds. And all the Imperium can do about it is suggest that they play nice!

Well, and penalise particular factions for particularly nasty actions - but what evidence is there that these penalties are imposed in anything like a consistent manner? Or, for the matter, what evidence is there that the Imperial definition of "particularly nasty actions" is anything other than arbitrary? After all, use of tac nukes is a crime under the Imperial Rules of War, but what about hacking a million people to death with machetes? Apparently, it's fine...

The key to the Imperium is that might is right - but that might is unable to be wielded by a single individual. As a result, there is a balance of power amongst the wielders of power - and the resulting deals and compromises are what passes for "law" in the Imperium.

Oh, and if you don't like it, you can get enough ships and troops together to remake the Imperium in your own image. Good luck!

Alanb has above said somthing sillmer to what I was about to, I would like to point out that Imperial Law has little place in the lives of the Normal Citizen as any thing pertnate to the man (woman or other) on the street is most probaly replacated in the local laws meaning that the only people who should have dealings with Imperial Law art those indviduals, orgnisaions or other leagal entities that need to due to their responcibilitys or needs so Bill factory worker/truck driver or what ever has all his leagal needs and responciblitys coverd by Local Law where as Cpt. Bob IN due to beaing a navy captain is coverd by and subject to Imperial Millitery Law, and Baron Will of outer nowhere is aforded certern diplomatic and govermental priliviges but is also subject to responcibilitys and laws that do not appily to the aravage Citizen

Posted by Alanb:

'This has been the normal situation throughout the past five or so thousand years. It's called class society. It's still true of western societies today, although a bit less obviously.

For example: drug laws are less commonly enforced in certain communities than others, some people can afford to hire expensive lawyers while others get court appointed ones, etc... It may not be "supposed" to happen, but it does.'

I agree with you - but when discussing 'law' it is important not to confuse the law with sociology. For example, if drugs are to be illegal, in a legal system the law must make possession illegal for all, or must state who may possess them legally. If the law does not apply to a baron, then that is fine, if the law so says. Certainty is the key.

The fact that the corruption associated with class societies creeps into the picture is another matter. If the police turn a blind eye to little Lord Fortenroy, then it is not the 'law' that is at fault but the agencies enforcing it. But if the said lord attended court on charge of possession, he should get the same treatment as Johnny Muck from the slums.

Thus a key note of law in my book, is certainty (Even if not equality in a sociological sense).

I do not necessarily see that in what we know of Imperial law, with the ability of nobles, etc to alter it at their whim.

'The key to the Imperium is that might is right - but that might is unable to be wielded by a single individual. As a result, there is a balance of power amongst the wielders of power - and the resulting deals and compromises are what passes for "law" in the Imperium.'

I am also in agreement with you again - that is why I say that the concept of Imperial law maybe considered to be more ideology than legal order. 'Might is right' sounds very similar to
arbitrary power to me.

As to Imperial law not extended to citizens - probably correct in the round, but a sentients rights law (a la Book 8) rather indicates that the law does extend to citizens.

Cheers, I look forward to your thoughts.

EV

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
[QB] Well, here is what I have on the separation of indvidual world governments and the Imperium:

Each world admitted into the Imperium under a Member World Charter ......etc

great , i love it . this is the kind of thing i was hoping we could develop :D

Originally posted by hirch duckfinder:
Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
[QB] Well, here is what I have on the separation of indvidual world governments and the Imperium:

Each world admitted into the Imperium under a Member World Charter ......etc

great , i love it . this is the kind of thing i was hoping we could develop :D
Thank you! :D

Here's what I have on Tax Law:

Imperial Taxation

Imperial tax collection is conducted by the Imperial Ministry of the Treasury. There is an official process that assesses the Gross World Product for each Member World. Tax assessors working on each world (technically members of the MoT Subsector Offices) cooperate with the Office of the Margrave or Baron and their official contacts with the world's government(s).

The tax rate is 2% of that GWP each year, and 4% during any time of General War. This amount is called the Member World Contribution (MWC).

Of the MWC, 66% is assigned to the Subsector as the Member World Subsector Contribution (MWSuC), 33% is assigned to the Noble's World Budget (NWB), and 1% is assigned as the World Level Noble Stipend (WLNS) to the noble (Margrave or Baron) of the world.

The sum of all MWSuCs from all Worlds in the Subsector equals the Subsector Total Collection (SuTC). The SuTC is divided into three parts. 66% of the SuTC is assigned to the Sector Contribution (SC), 33% is assigned as the Count's Subsector Budget (CSuB), and 1% is the Subsector Level Noble Stipend (SuLNS).

The sum of all SCs from all Subsectors in the Sector equals the Sector Total Collection (STC). The STC is divided into three parts. 65.5% of the STC is assigned to the Imperial Contribution (IC), 33% is assigned as the Duke’s Sector Budget (DSB), 0.5% is assigned as the Domain Level Noble Stipend (DLNS), and 1% is the Sector Level Noble Stipend (SLNS).

The sum of all ICs from all Sectors in the Imperium equals the Imperial Annual Budget. In practice, though, most spending done with these funds is decided far in advance. Those Imperial funds that are to be spent locally, remain at the Sector level for those purposes decided upon earlier.

One advantage of these Imperial level funds is that wealth generated by internal Sectors that require less military spending for defense, and less infrastructure spending because of existing extensive development, can be applied to poorer frontier Sectors, although this creates its own level of political wrangling at the Imperial Court.

Sectors that are toe to toe with major enemies (like the Spinward Marches, for example), receive far more military spending than the wealth they generate would indicate.

The NWB, CSuB, and the DSB funds are all at the disposal of the noble in charge to fund various governmental actions at their level of Imperial Government District. It is considered a serious abuse of power to spend these funds on personal matters, as the noble’s stipend is intended to cover that need. There is a fine dividing line between personal and governmental spending, though most nobles manage not to cross it.

The higher tax rate for General War may be in effect at the Sector, Domain, or Imperial levels, and may be declared by the Ruling Noble of that level of Imperial Government District.

IMTU, all world governments have the following rights:
1) to maintan a standing army
2) to enact and eforce laws up to the 10 diameter limit
3) to adress their assigned imperial noble, and demand response.
4) to restrict entry by non-subjects
5) to trade with other worlds

They have the following duties
1) to adhere to the rights of sophonts and imperial citizens without reguard to local law. (which see below)
2) to provide for the defense of the imperium by credit, personell, troop, and ship assignments
3) to support the assigned noble and his household in the security of their feif.
4) to obey the edicts and customs of the Imperium.
5) to surrender such lands as to form a suitable feif for the assigned noble.
6) to surrender to the priveldge of extra-imperial treaty.
7) to participate in the interstellar economy*
8) to accept the imperial credit
9) to pay such taxes as the emperor permits and/or demands.

*in many cases, this is not practical, and is thus ignored.

Righs of the Subject:
all subjects of he imperium have the right to life, save where such is forfeit by due process of law or in proper conduct of war, and to freedom from involuntary servitude (other than for military service), ancestral criminal charge or sentence, and psionic compulsion.

All citizens of the Imperium (I make a distinction):
have the right to a trial by Imperial citizens
Have all the rights of a subject
Have the right to property
Have the right to travel from world to world
Have the right of adress to an imperial noble

All Nobles of the Imperium IMTU gain the following additional rights:
The revokable and surrenderable right to ancestral title and the duties which accompany same
The right to grant their title, feif (if any), and duties upon any valid heir
The right to speak in the moot
The right to audience with the local noble
The right to appeal all criminal convictions to the local noble
The right to bear armaments (within limits... one must obtain local permit to do so on worlds, but these are usuallyno a problem for a single sidearm and blade) by permission of the local imperial noble

Landed nobles gain:
The right to raise huscarls to defend one's feif
the right to support by the feif
the right to make law within the feif
the right to address all subject government levels
thr right to issue writs of nullification of criminal and civil charges &/or convictions against individuals
the right of summons upon the world where thheeir fief exists, for persons, documents, or other mobile assets, to enable enforcement of imperial law.
the right of deputization: a nobleman may appoint agents to investigate matters on their behalf
The duty to administer their feif
The duty to represent their feif's world in the moot
Votes in the moot by rank.
Right to subinfeudate to extant imperial nobles, and theirby enfeif them.

Ooooh! There are several things in there that I hadn't thought of yet.

<copy, paste>

I've noted in some reading above a few minor issues. Forgive me if they are discussed elsewhere in page 2 (I've read up to 2/3rds page 1)

Limited Member World Autonomy is something I more or less have evolved to in my own Traveller universe. But I have to look at the overall picture instead of just one minor aspect.

Lets look at the Imperium when it first started out. Nominally - it was a democracy that was rotten to its core. Each world had its own government, and its own power brokers. Oddly enough, Cleon the first was able to bring together a meeting of men who would transform the society of Sylea, to that of a seemingly constitutional Aristocracy. But I don't see people looking beyond that humble beginning into what the 3rd Imperium would become!

Take the history as given in Mileu Zero. It states that the Imperium expanded peacefully and without taint of war to force members to join the Imperium. It bypassed any government that indicated its unwillingness to join. Only after a given time did the Imperium begin to FORCE worlds to join.

What does this say to me? It says that in the beginning, those worlds who joined, joined because there was some compelling benefit for joining the Imperium. How do you get a bunch of people eager to join into an Imperium collective unless it somehow benefits the LEADERS of the world in question?

Once you can begin to identify what mechanisms were employed to bring a world into the Imperial fold - you can start to outline what those treaties must have been like.

For instance - that 100 diameter rule. Where do you employ all of your planetary navy (you know, those system defense boats)?

What about the real estate in your own star system? If the Imperium controls the space between planets - does the world have to ask permission to send a warship to its own gas giant?

What about the domain of law?

What happens when a world joins the Imperium - does the Imperium guarantee that the current government will always remain in power (or can a coup d'etat take place to change the world government - what happens then? Does the Imperium recognize the new government or does it restore the old one?)

For me?

Each world is sovereign unto itself - and lays claim to the entirety of its stellar real estate. The Imperium has the right to traverse all of space without need to consult with the owning system's government PROVIDING that the Imperial Space does not trespass in "no navigation zones" as set by the planetary government.
Each world is required to render assistence to the Imperium during clearly defined periods of emergency (as defined would generally mean war). Each world is required to allocate a given percentage of its Gross Domestic Product for purposes of the Imperium - to follow a complicated formula based not only on the world's GDP but also its ability to trans-ship what is owed to the Imperium!

Each world is required to remand any criminals it catches for extradition. However - no world must give up anyone it considers to be a non-criminal (else, how could such an individual be extradited!).

Each world's soveriegnty is to be respected in accordance with the treaty proper. Worlds that have been conquored obviously would be granted less treaty rights than a world which joins voluntarily.

Now comes a VERY important question - and how people answer this determins an aspect of the Imperium in general...

Are those things which the member worlds pay for worth the price the Imperium charges for it? In other words - if the Imperium taxes the world for support of its military - what are the obligations of the Imperium towards its member states for such Military? Put another way? What kind of bang for the buck are the taxpayers getting?

See - if you can't make it attractive for worlds to join voluntarily - why would they have joined? If the "contract" to join was so one sided - who in the hell would have joined?

Back