• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

ideas for a new campaign

phydaux

SOC-12
I’ve been kicking around some ideas for the campaign I plan to start. I want all the characters to fit together. As a GM, there’s nothing that makes me scratch my head more than having characters like a wealthy noble dilettante, a struggling merchant captain and an ex-Marine combat monster all in the same party. I figure I’ll have all the players make similar, complimentary characters, based on the type of campaign we all agree to play. Here is a short list of the campaign options I’ll present to the players before they create their characters.

Classic Merchant – Fly around, buy and sell, get rich. This would be very “Character Dependent.” While I have enough ideas for a few adventures, after 6 or so sessions, it would be up to the goals of the party to drive the campaign. This works well with some player-groups, but often players just sort of show up and say, “Gosh GM, what’s my character supposed to do tonight?”

Pirate – The Anti-Merchant Campaign. The old saying goes. “All merchant campaigns become pirate campaigns after 6 months.” So, why wait? Purpose-built pirate characters with specialized equipment and a ship. The terror of the skies! Again, very “Character Dependent.” You can only role-play a boarding action so many times.

Skiptracers – The Anti-Pirate Campaign. This is a great option because the party doesn’t need a ship. If the party does have a ship, a combo Merchant/Skiptracer campaign is a great option and offers lots of flexibility. This combo campaign could be great fun and run a long time.

Classic Mercenary – Start small, get big, lots of fighting ,and MONEY! Frankly, this is what I’m ITCHING to run. Role-playing massed combat sucks, so I have all kinds of plans for adventures while the mercs are on weekend pass, while between contracts, etc. I just don’t know if the players would be open to the campaign.

Scout – Exploration/First Contact. Dust off my old copy of Leviathan and lead the players off into the unknown. Very “Star Trek”ish. Lots of options for game sessions. Lots of fun to be had here.

Noble Dilettantes - Go after the secret of the Ancients. With the right players, this would just be SO MUCH FUN! Wealthy nobles with too much time and money on their hands, hunter guides leading them off on adventure, absent-minded professors doing their field research, and don’t forget the professor’s beautiful niece! There is just so much potential for fun it makes my head swim!

Naval – Command small vessels, work up to Heavy Metal. Kind of “Honor Harrington” style. It would be set in the days just before the Fifth Frontier War. The only problem is I don’t know how to NOT make it a tabletop space combat game. The options for character interaction, character development and role-playing just don’t seem to be there.

Political/Espionage – Schemes within schemes. I have a few ideas for this. Sort of “Top Secret” but set during the Fifth Frontier War. While it might be fun for a while, I’m afraid the action would peter out after a few sessions.

I think my best options would be:

Merchant/Skiptracer
Noble Dilettantes
Scout
Mercenary

Any comments or suggestions?

I'm doing a mercenary campign right now, and I love it. Each player rolled 2 characters --a "ground guy" and a "space guy". One player rolled up a Noble Baron and founded the unit. Other players bought shares in the company and they hired some NPC's and were off and running. At the end of next game (session 3 of the campaign) they should have their hands on a Broadsword class cruiser (an old, damaged one, as part of a "no imperial entanglements" contract).

Their fortunes really took off when they captured a Pinnace from a rival merc outfit and ransomed it back for 1 Mcr, that really hepled things out.

Anyway, the "space guys" are a mixture of Nobles, Merchants, Scouts and Navy characters. One merchant is so feeble in combat he wouldn't accept a rank in the unit, but invested his money and acts as the spokesman for the board of shareholders.

------------------
Dave "Dr. Skull" Nelson

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phydaux:

Scout – Exploration/First Contact. Dust off my old copy of Leviathan and lead the players off into the unknown. Very “Star Trek”ish. Lots of options for game sessions. Lots of fun to be had here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A scout campaign doesn't have to involve travelling to the unknown. The PC's could be employed as a survey team and told to survey an imperial subsector/sector. (See The Imperial Fringe adventure)

This means the PC's movements can be restricted to a selected area, the PC's have a small income based on the number of systems surveyed but without having to get bogged down with full trading rules.

Just a thought

J.

I have always thought, but have not actually been able to run in order to prove, that a troubleshooter campaign with the PCs working for Oberlindes, post FFW, would be a lot of fun.

Vargas,

yeah, i could totally do that, but the combination of high tech, a megacorprate sponcer and dealing with the poor, disenfranchised workers will make the campaign too much like cyberpunk.

and that whole "So many credirt for evert planet you survay" thing just doesn't set well with me.

Phydaux,

I can see your point about the survey idea, it is a little contrived but does work well for new players.

I think the Oberlindes troubleshooter campaign has merit, but you would have to be careful to avoid "cyberpunk in space".

Reading back through your original post, you seemed keen to try the Mercenary idea. I like the idea of running the adventures as what happens between jobs. If your players are keen it should work well. DrSkulls suggestion of 2 chracters/player may work. You should be able to include enough elements to keep most players happy.

J.

Interesting, I didn't immediately equate an Oberlindes sponsored team with a cyberpunk setting. My intent in involving the shipping line is to provide some direction and resources to the team while at the same time being able to have diverse adventures. The characters could be involved in security/rescue missions, detective work, negotiations, alien (major and minor) encounters, speculative trading and the like. The characters can also act on behalf of the company in those situations where travel times prevent timely communications and/or where the folks with the right skill set aren't present (a hostage rescue when a squad of mercs is unavailable). Keep in mind too that in between the Oberlindes sponsored activities, real life will happen to the PCs too!
I hope that this helps fill out the concept.

My group's favorite Traveller campaign took a BIG que from the anime "Dirty Pair". They were trouble consultants in a supersecret espionage orginization: The Military Household Espionage Ministry (MayHEM).

Always interesting is to add a SLOWLY revealed conspiracy which unfolds a bit at a time, against a backdrop of just about any of the above.

In my current campaign, the PC's are beginning to suspect hiver influence in their externally provided goals, and in their prior service "History". I'm not revealing if it is true or not, but I've provided some hints that it is in fact a hiver manipulation.

Should they read it, I'll drop one hint here: The Solomani Rim War - Hiver Manipulation? The Solomani party - Hiver Manipulation!

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

What about a survivor game? One of my favorite ones. Picture this.

A group of marines must evacuate the imperial ambassador from a balkanized Tech 7/8. Orbital support is only aviable from the other continent. The setting is a tense war between two nuclear capable powers. The Imperium is officially neutral, although it has been secretly supplying both sides. Add to that there is a major revolutionary civil war...

Just as the marines arrive at the airport because the spaceport has been blown to bits. Bombs and mortars going off everywhere. They have to learn how to fly a jumbo jet or military carrier. There is a lone terrorist (one of the players plays this role) on board who emerges from the shadows once the plane is airborne. The ambassador is badly injured in the firefight as is the plane. It must set down in one of the Southern uninhabitted islands. Read: crash.

As twilight settles there are flashes in the distant horizon. A high pitch squeal and then static on the radio. The effect of the EMP has fried all electronic equipment. Without any idea where the marines are. Maps even if recovered are unfamilar. Alone on a strange planet with hostile natives.

Then the marines hear a bleeping noise from the ambassadors chest. The ambassadors splutters, that you must save his attache case (handcuffed his wrist). The bleeping makes it clear that the ambassador was a pseudobiological robot who is now set to explode from a hidden bomb...

Now they must survive and make their way back to civilization. Nobody really knows that they are out there. Provisions are limited. Hostile planet. Survive.

Naturally this is a thumbnail stetch, with much of the above needing to be role played out.

There are also room for high level intrigue as the attache case is empty, as it becomes clear that the Imperium was supporting both sides plus a third neutral bloc. Megacorps also had vested interests in the bombed out countries which now have to be retrived.

The above scenario uses themes from: The Killing Fields, Good Morning Vietnam, Twilight 2000 and Escape From New York. And, also every Survivor type film imaginable.

[This message has been edited by kafka47 (edited 16 January 2002).]

<snip>

The above scenario uses themes from: The Killing Fields, Good Morning Vietnam, Twilight 2000...

<snip>

really? because it started off sounding just like Blackhawk Down.

idea...
misjump variant...
a normal misjump takes a ship a random distance <d6# of d6's>(up to 36 parsecs, that's roughly 117 lt years)...

what if, instead of goig the physical distance, they jumped forward the 117 years without leaving the system? or backward?...

imagine a megatrav jumping back to before the assination?..one ship, one small crew that's knows but no one currently can belive them because they don't exist in ANY record?

or virus? knowing it's coming, going to hit the port their in but <again> they don't exist becuse there is no record of them?...do they let it happen or race out to stop the x-boat that carries virus in?

food for thought....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nurd_boy:
idea...
misjump variant...
a normal misjump takes a ship a random distance <d6# of d6's>(up to 36 parsecs, that's roughly 117 lt years)...

what if, instead of goig the physical distance, they jumped forward the 117 years without leaving the system? or backward?...

imagine a megatrav jumping back to before the assination?..one ship, one small crew that's knows but no one currently can belive them because they don't exist in ANY record?

or virus? knowing it's coming, going to hit the port their in but <again> they don't exist becuse there is no record of them?...do they let it happen or race out to stop the x-boat that carries virus in?

food for thought....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done it in limied ways. In my games, I've never sent PC's back, but have brought them forward. I've had them encounter befuddled persons from the future, however.

It didn't seem to faze my players a bit. Then again, most of the players already KNEW the timeline (in a few places better than myself)...

Then again, the guy who went forward was on thesis 17.2 of trying to control a misjump. (I let him pick a prohibited direction.... 1 of six...)

A real challenge for a GM is to feasably create prophecies and then have them coe to pass. Oh, and make certain to keep exact wordings handy (audiotape is excellent) for later review, and only make happen the ones which a GM secret roll makes.... it can become a wonderful distraction to any other type of game.

------------------
-aramis
=============================================
Smith & Wesson: The Original Point and Click interface!

For the pirate campaigns, you can also work on building out the base, and on organised crime. Clashes with other pirate groups, infiltrating imperial security officers, base protection and forced relocation (the imps have arrived in force), and so forth can provide the players with some really interesting times ...

I've got a bunch of ideas for a campaign I've been waiting for Traveller d20 to come out for.

Characters muster out and get left at an Asteroid Mining facility.
Have to pay for oxygen & stuff & money is running out.
They play a card game where they win a ship (don't know exactly how to work that out)
Was playing cards with an Imperial Marshal (or whatever) that the get to know.
Helps out Marshal in some way.
Marshal offers them a "retrieval" job
Come to find out that the retrieval is a pregnant woman.
A death cult is after this woman because she is carrying the next Messiah (or whatever) or at least they think it's an important baby.
There is also an artifact involved.
Anyways, the Imperial Marshal gets killed, the pregnant woman gets killed, but the characters have to cut the baby out of her. (I know, sounds gross, but one of the guys that wants to be in this wants to play a shell-shocked doctor)
And the Star Trigger (a variation of) is also involved.
There is a main bad guy that has transformed himself into something beast-like.
The Bible that talks about how a Dragon will knock down a third of the stars in the sky and will go against a child and that’s where my ideas started. (and I'm not a religious person)
The Dragon is the bad guy with a Star Trigger type of weapon, and the baby is, of course, the child.

Anyways, I’ve come to the conclusion that there are only six basic adventures/missions (not including blindly walking around).

Information
Guardian
Recovery
Consultation
Harassment
Liquidation

Hope some of this helps.

Later,

Scout

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phydaux:
<snip>

The above scenario uses themes from: The Killing Fields, Good Morning Vietnam, Twilight 2000...

<snip>

really? because it started off sounding just like Blackhawk Down.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ran this as mega-adventure (less than campaign) more connected than average adventure, 5 years ago.

What inspired me was the JTAS adventure called Embassy Row. I just wondered what would happen if those G-Carriers were blown out the sky and the Imperium decided to play power politics on a particular world to get an Imperial friendly government...

[This message has been edited by kafka47 (edited 28 January 2002).]

Back