• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Human?

Alias

SOC-8
Hi been reading "Consider Phlebas" by Iain M Banks, made me think about what is human in Traveller, is everyone bog standard or has evolution slowly altered humanitys DNA to fit local environments? Just wanna hear what you think.

That partily could be manifested in the fact that Vilani humans seem to have a longer lifespan than Solimani or Zhodani, and Zhodani have a higher number of psionists.

It could be itneresting though to alter that so that each different race of humans had differed further.

Pretty new to Traveller so I'm not totally up on all the history and info there is. However I quite like the idea of a diverse humanity, so I plan on spicing things up a little. For example one of the worlds the players are gonna visit will be inhabited by humans whose feet act as secondary hands to grip with (the colonists were forced into the trees by as yet unknown factor!)

If you can grab a copy of GURPS traveller to read, it has alot of source material. the Ancients, took humans and moved to several different locations in the galixy, the ones that are almost idential to the human(solimani), are the Vilani and the Zhodani. There are other human species, that have been geneticly modified. this speices of yours could fall under that. give them two apposable thumbs, and three fingers. and make their feet more dexterious.

SJ Games is planning to publish GT: Humaniti this summer (currently slated for July, IIRC). It covers a whole bunch of human minor races, which will certainly include some modified to suit their environment or for other reasons.

Just read a scientific article about the Sherpas! These Ladies and Gentlemen live at 3,500-4000m alt and geneticly have a higher proportion of red blood cells and larger diaghragms alloying them to carry and hold more oxygen then the rest of us!
So their ya go environmental evolution in action on the planet we live on.

Originally posted by Alias:
Hi been reading "Consider Phlebas" by Iain M Banks, made me think about what is human in Traveller, is everyone bog standard or has evolution slowly altered humanitys DNA to fit local environments? Just wanna hear what you think.
Welcome to the Culture! Banks is very good reading.

Well, Gurps Space has examples of how humans might vary based on the planet they live on. (exo, endo , etc. morph) I think 2300 AD had similar ideas. I've considered using it in Traveller.

Personally, I find the idea of "minor" humans one of the more interesting parts of Traveller and am looking forward to GT: Humanati and any Vilani books.

I'm tinkering with some of the ideas from Gurps:New Sun (any novel by Gene Wolfe is highly recommended) such as some nobles being different than the rest and voluntary "primitives". (genetically enhanced to be taller for one)

FWIW, I play a minor human ex-barbarian in a t20 PBEM. You can find (somewhat outdated and need cleaning up) stats for The Skythian, Brown Fox here

Main difference is changes to the throat and nasal passages (and some other things yet unrevealed) to better adapt to his home planet.

Yes he has a trading card. :cool: But he doesn't quite look like that. :(

Casey

Back