• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

HubWorlds

I'm just about to start up a TNE game. This is the first time my friends and I have played Traveler, and I'm planning on starting us in the HubWorlds setting. A few questions.

1) What's the Black Curtain?

2) What's important to cover to learn the game?

3) What's a black globe? It's listed under the Screens cascade but there's no description.

And, most importantly: do you have any suggestions?

Originally posted by Aubaine:
I'm just about to start up a TNE game. This is the first time my friends and I have played Traveler, and I'm planning on starting us in the HubWorlds setting. A few questions.

1) What's the Black Curtain?

2) What's important to cover to learn the game?

3) What's a black globe? It's listed under the Screens cascade but there's no description.

And, most importantly: do you have any suggestions?
Welcome to the boards, Aubaine! Glad to hear that you're running TNE, as there are never enough games out there.

To answer your questions:

1. The Black Curtain is an area of space that is under the control of a particularly nasty form of Virus. This Virus has merged with Lucan (Emperor Strephon's son, who was responsible for much of the devestation of the Rebellion as well as the creation of Virus) and is keeping him alive using anagathics on Capital, the former Imperial throneworld. The reason that the Black Curtain's there is that nobody on the outside knows what's going on inside- for the simple reason that there are so many Vampire ships in there that nobody's survived to report back.

That's the extremely abridged version. If you want more details, may I suggest the "What Would You Ask Dave Nilsen?" thread that's stuck to the top of this board? It's a long but incredibly rewarding conversation with the TNE game designer, in which he talks a fair bit about the details of what's behind the Black Curtain.

2. I'm not sure what you mean here- do you mean "Which rules do I need to read to be able to run the game effectively?", or "What do I need to convey to my players in order for them to play?"

3. Black Globes are an extremely rare form of screen technology. When activated, they create a spherical black field around the ship they are mounted on, which absorbs all energy fired at the ships and stores it in onboard energy banks. The field will continue to absorb energy until the storage banks are overloaded, in which case it must be switched off or it blows up and generally ruins your day.

The reason there isn't a description in the TNE main book is that they're very rare- the Third/Last Imperium was just starting to learn to build them when the Rebellion broke out, and most of the ones out there were artifacts from older civilizations. If you're playing in the HubWorlds, black globes are only going to show up if you decide they would be a cool plot device for the players to chase.

As for why the Black Globes skill is in the book if they're so rare...I have no idea. You can ask Mr. Nilsen if he ever makes it back here. :D

Edit: As your game progresses, would you consider posting reports here on the forums? People here like to hear about folks getting to play the game, and you'll find us a pretty good sounding board for ideas or dilemmas you may have.

As for suggestions, what type of campaign were you thinking about running?

Originally posted by SanDragon:
Bzzzt!!

I'm sorry, but thank you for playing!!

Lucan is Emperor Strephon's nephew.
Yes, he got Lucan's relationship wrong, but the rest of the stuff looks pretty on target. So, I would call it more of a "got one wrong" than a "thanks for playing". ("Thanks for playing" implies, to me, that the whole answer was wrong. It this case, it wasn't wrong.)

BTW, also be aware that things will turn out a bit different than outlined by Dave when 1248 is published.

Originally posted by daryen:

BTW, also be aware that things will turn out a bit different than outlined by Dave when 1248 is published.
Fair point, and if you're interested in using 1248 material you should bear this in mind. I know the Black Curtain will still be there, though, and I think I remember hearing somewhere that it would be at least somewhat similar- i.e. massive horde of Viral-driven somethings that were so pervasive that no information made it out of that area.

If you take a look at the map of the Shattered Imperium in the front of TNE, you can see that the HubWorlds are right at the edge of the Black Curtain, and (kinda sorta) halfway between the Regency and Reformation Coalition. I've been kicking around a campaign concept for a while wherein the Regency and RC meet up at the HubWorlds, instantly take a dislike to each other, and start a diplomatic death dance. (This much is implied from the quotes in the back of Vampire Fleets, which set a Regency-RC meeting for not later than 1206 and imply that it will not be a happy one) Of course, before any shooting starts, the Big Bad Evil Guys from behind the Black Curtain come out for blood... I'm not sure how well this would work from a HubWorlds perspective, since they're mostly background here- I'm a pretty die-hard Star Viking myself.

Originally posted by ChaserCaffey:

2. I'm not sure what you mean here- do you mean "Which rules do I need to read to be able to run the game effectively?", or "What do I need to convey to my players in order for them to play?"
The second part. Traveller is completely different from...well...just about anything else we've played. Any particular things I should try to smack into them?

I'm thinking I'm going to try to drag them into some general conflict and see what direction the players want to take it in. I've drawn up a basic scenario where the HubWorlds administration is caught between the Acceleration Party, which favors expansion along the lines of the Reformation Coalition (though less democratic), and the Revival Party, which is more conservative and wants to focus on rebuilding the seven or so planets already in the HubWorlds. Throw in a entreaty for help from an underground Psionic Institute. Also, the moment they take on passengers I have the sketch of a little ship-board murder mystery that takes place during the jump. So, any suggestions on that Acceleration/Revival conflict, or for the institute?

Traveller is very different from just about everything, you're right. Here are some things that stick out for me in Traveller, and TNE especially: (Not an exhaustive list, but some things off the top of my head)

1) Livin' on the edge. Owning your own ship and being a traveller is an economically risky option, with a lot of costs and jobs that don't usually pay the rent. This opens the players up to all kinds of risky propositions which may get them some extra cash. That goes double for the New Era, where patrons may be able to offer items such as crucial spare parts that aren't available at any price on the open market.

2) Rebuilding. Sure, the universe may have been slagged down, but the worst is over now, and it's time to rebuild. Let the players see the devestation of the Final War, but make sure you include announcements about new businesses starting up, new expeditions heading out into space, and new/recovered technological advances.

3) Hard science and hard technology. This is very much still a 70s-80s setting, for all that TNE was published in the early 90s. You have reaction drives that burn fuel and take a long time to get anywhere, jump drives that only work under certain conditions, and weapons that may shoot laser beams or plasma bolts, but still need ammunition and regular maintainance or they'll break- fast. Make sure to use the maintainance rules if the players start skating on this. Also, the cyberpunk and transhuman genres are very much *not* part of Traveller- cyberware should be rare, if present at all, biotech is almost nonexistent, and the only digital intelligences your PCs will encounter are all Virus.

As for the political conflict- sounds great. From what I remember of the HubWorlds, a lot of the controversy is probably going to settle on the naval depot at Color- the Revivalists are going to want to either recondition the depot or use its technology to help bootstrap the rest of the HubWorlds, and the Accelerationists are going to want to use its ships and munitions to spearhead their expansion program. Just a thought...

Where do you think the Institute might come into this conflict? How much power do they have?

Oh, and ship-board murder mysteries in jump are an oldy and goody in Traveller.

Sounds like you're well on your way!

Back