• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

How is EXP awarded in Traveller ?

chron187

SOC-12
Do you know how you award exp in traveller I couldnt find any EXP awards for encounters only the hint their was some on page 420 but in a creatures stat block I have no idea how to reward EXP can somebody shed some light on this

You really have to play it by ear.

Since the focus of Travller is not usually the "kill monsters and take their stuff" model of D&D, assigning XP is much more a matter of the Referee using his (or her) discretion. D&D3 does provide guidelines for calculating challenge ratings for NPCs based on their level, so you could use that as a guide, but I think it would be less than ideal. The technology is a real leveler.

I'd suggest that XP should be awarded for achieving adventure goals and for good roelplaying, even if it runs counter to the adventure goals (A romantic PC who trusts the attractive female NPC even though his player knows she's a spy.)

The amount of XP awarded depends on the pace of advancement you want and the level of the PCs. If the average PC is around 7th level (need 7000 to reach 8th level) and you want the PCs to go up one level per six sessions or so, then you need to give about 1000 to 1500 XP per session, on average. You could give less and add a big bonus at the end of a set of seeiosn for resolving the plot, if you prefer.

Really old-school Traveller would not award XP at all; PCs didn't really advance after character generation.

Actiually I think the SWRPG book would be a better guide lines but I was disturbed when they said that for a random encount award AAA-XXX exp or the exp for the creatures they fought which ever is greater so it made me speculate that their was some guidelines for EXP reward besides the ones on page 420 though given that their is nothing to gauge individual creature exp rewards for slaughter them the Ad-Hoc method is probably the best

Really old-school Traveller would not award XP at all; PCs didn't really advance after character generation.
Wow that would suck your character couldnt evolve :(

Originally posted by Chron:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Really old-school Traveller would not award XP at all; PCs didn't really advance after character generation.
Wow that would suck your character couldnt evolve :( </font>[/QUOTE]Sure they could. Characters are more than a collection of numbers on a page, after all. They have personalities and stories, and these can evolve without the stats ever changing.

Of course, I forgot that there were a few very particular ways to improve skills. It took 8 years(!) to permanently improve a skill by one level. That one level could be significant or not, depending on the skill.

Originally posted by Tom Schoene:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Chron:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Really old-school Traveller would not award XP at all; PCs didn't really advance after character generation.
Wow that would suck your character couldnt evolve :( </font>[/QUOTE]Sure they could. Characters are more than a collection of numbers on a page, after all. They have personalities and stories, and these can evolve without the stats ever changing.

Of course, I forgot that there were a few very particular ways to improve skills. It took 8 years(!) to permanently improve a skill by one level. That one level could be significant or not, depending on the skill.
</font>[/QUOTE]Hey depending on the RPG system 1 skill rank could be very significant

Back