• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

How big is a volume?

rancke

Absent Friend
On p. 223, bottom of the first column, it says "Volume is given in vl, which represents about 10 liters of volume or 0.01 cubic meters of space."

However, the various examples seems to use 1vl = 1 liter. For instance on page 235, top of second column, "A 100vl chassis is roughly the equivalent size of a human being." The examples of Basic Chassis in the table right below also seem to be based on 1vl = 1 liter Unless jet fighters really take up 50 dT
file_22.gif

Hans

Was another thread on this question a few weeks ago.
p223, top right...

1400 volume = 1 displacement ton

Originally posted by Ellros:
Was another thread on this question a few weeks ago.
p223, top right...

1400 volume = 1 displacement ton
Which in all the examples actually seems to be 1350vl = 1 dT.

Hans

I think this calls for a guesstimation logical conclusion and a Referee decision that works for them. I think of the starship design as being alot more exact than the vehicle design rule.

Originally posted by rancke:
On p. 223, bottom of the first column, it says "Volume is given in vl, which represents about 10 liters of volume or 0.01 cubic meters of space."

However, the various examples seems to use 1vl = 1 liter. For instance on page 235, top of second column, "A 100vl chassis is roughly the equivalent size of a human being." The examples of Basic Chassis in the table right below also seem to be based on 1vl = 1 liter Unless jet fighters really take up 50 dT
file_22.gif

Hans
Under "Creating Deckplans" on pg. 279 it mentions that 1 dton = 14 cubic meters, but that for the purposes of deckplans 2 map 'squares' (1.5m x 1.5m x 3m) equal a dton, which would make 1 dton = 13.5 cubic meters.

Therefore for the purposes of calculations, 1 dton = 1400 vl, and for the purposes of deckplanning 1 dton = 1350 vl.

Clear as mud, eh?

Unless I am on moldy cheese here ;)

10vl = 0.01 m3 = 10 liter
One liter is 0.001 m3 so 1 vl = 1 liter is correct.

I have no clue though if the human body is 0.1m3 but is seems fair enough. A "normal" Swedish bathtub is 500l and you usually fill it to 75% so 0.1m3 or 100 liters for my pretty normal body is about right. Well, that is if you count 193cm/91kg normal :D

Originally posted by LtHavoc:
Unless I am on moldy cheese here ;)

10vl = 0.01 m3 = 10 liter
One liter is 0.001 m3 so 1 vl = 1 liter is correct.
Well, by definition 1 liter of water weight 1kg. And you are mostly water. So the fact that you weigh 94kg would make you 94 liters +/- an insignificant fraction.

Back