• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

House rules

eclipse

SOC-13
I'm looking for ref's house rules.

I'll start off,

Combat Rifleman feat would include bayonet.

Brawling to include the cudgel. That's defined a stick between 100cm & 2000cm long. (The chart says 1.5 meters to 3 meters. I'd go from .5 to 2, perhaps three).

My take is to make the range 50cm to 2000cm.
Over two meters and it becomes too big for serious indoor work.
RL examples: my telescoping baton is 53.5cm.
Pool cues are about 150 cm and quarter staffs run closer to 2 meters. My escrima sticks are 65cm.
The classic baseball bat is about 85cm.
English quarterstaffs run 6 to 9 feet (2-3 meters).

Brawling feat includes makeshift weapons. Bottles, poolcues, a wrench, a length of pipe, etc.

Notice how many of those weapons fit the range of the weapons I listed.

One of my goals is to make it easier for players to use the nifty batons in TA#1. That publication points out that functionality wise, there is little difference between a collapsing baton and a handy stick a brawler would use.

Ok, the baton is less likely to bread when you smack a soph over the head with it and the telescoping ones are easier to carry.

On page 7 of TA#1, it states that batons and staves count as 'cudgels', in clearer language than the THB does. So in retrospec, this isn't so much as a house rule as a clarification.

Now the bayonet with Combat Rifleman, that's a house rule. I'm not going to make a military character from a TL 7+ world takes weapons pro (armsman) just so they can use a bayonet without stabbing themselves in the foot. Ok, perhaps halving the typical penality for using a weapon without the needed weapons pro feat. (-2 instead of -4).

The only house rule I've come up with so far is Marines get 4 skill points per level rather than 2. If Army characters get 4 per level, I see no reason, not even "game balance," for Marines to only get 2. Yeah, Marines get a lot of feats at first level, but it doesn't unbalance things to give them 4 skills points per level.

I figure that changes the game balance a huge amount.

Marines spend much more time actually training for combat. Their BAB is much better, they get multiple attacks sooner, they have better saves etc.

They also have a broader range of feats inicating more combat training than Army folk.

So from a RP point of view, a "pure" marine will be a better fighter than the equivalent army person however won;t have the rang eof other knowledge.

To compensate, many marines take the occassional level in professional or academic.

From a play balance point of view, if you increase the skill points to 4, nobody will ever choose army.

Aside - If I had been writing the rules, I would have done things exactly the other way arround - given the marines more skills and the army better combat ability, but that wasn;t the decision that was made by the designers.

Of Course, if you want to do it, I support your right to do so.

Originally posted by eclipse:
Brawling to include the cudgel. That's defined a stick between 100cm & 2000cm long. (The chart says 1.5 meters to 3 meters. I'd go from .5 to 2, perhaps three).
Just as a historic note: the term "cudgel" sometimes also refers to the quarterstaff... which was commonly 7-9 feet in length (2.7m). Three whole meters is not too far off the mark if you include staves under the category of "cudgel"

Being an ammeteur staff fighter, I can tell you that they are usefull in surprisingly close quarters if you know the right techniques (and don't mind busting up the wife's good table lamp!)

The British Quarterstaff Association has some interesting info on the topic if you're interested.

http://www.quarterstaff.org/frame.html

My personal style is rather ecclectic, and borrows only slightly from the Brits. But I digress.

I agree with Mink, the Army does seem to get the lower BAB and saves to compensate for the higher skill rate.

For myself:
I will be using slightly longer ranges for ship mounted energy weapons (15,000km) to fit better with some of my older high guard stuff, and percieved "ranges" under those rules.

I also have imperial weapons permits as being harder to get than indicated in TA#1 or THB. That is because I allow them to trump local laws in some circumstances.

Given that my players are HUGE fans of Honor Harrington... I've been playing around with the possibility of using much higher accelerations for the ships to match (slightly altered Imperium campaign). Still undecided on that one though.

For those of you interested in adjusting the classes, I have a PDF of a tool I found on the web that gives good guidelines on doing this.

Email me and I will send it out.

Due to the lethality of T20, I'm allowing Medical drug to be used safely (before chance of overdose) a number of times per day equal to the character's CON mod (minimum of 1).

Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
The only house rule I've come up with so far is Marines get 4 skill points per level rather than 2. If Army characters get 4 per level, I see no reason, not even "game balance," for Marines to only get 2. Yeah, Marines get a lot of feats at first level, but it doesn't unbalance things to give them 4 skills points per level.
Hmmm...the rule as it stands will produce marines with a higher average intelligence and a higher percentange of humanss, among PCs at least.

With only 2 skill points per level, the advantage to the human extra skill per level really helps and most PCs will want a character that gets at least a +1 bonus due to the int modififer.

I'm using these revised scale reduction rules for personal weapons vs vehicles/ships.

Vehicle Size Damage Reduction
Medium -0
Large -2
Huge -4
Gargantuan -6
Colossal -8

Ship Size Damage Reduction
Tiny -4
Small -6
Medium -8
Large -10
Huge -12
Gargantuan -14
Colossal -16

Also I'm adding a damage bonus for vehicle/ship weapons vs small vehicles (not ships). This bonus is equal to +1 die of damage per size category smaller than huge.

Also I've put an upper limit to AR's equal to the TL - Size Factor. The Size Factor = Max Size Category - Actual Size Category (i.e. Colossal - Huge = Size Factor 2). Thus a TL12 Large vehicle would have a Max AR of 9.

Critical hits are multiplied after scale reduction, and work just like a reversed form of scale reduction. Extra dice from critical hits remove negative points first. Thus a Gauss Rifle that does 2d12 vs personnel, will do 1d12-3 vs a Huge vehicle. If a critical hit is scored, the Gauss Rifle will do 1d12-2 to the vehicle. If the same Gauss Rifle fired a 4-round burst instead, the damage would be 4d12 vs personnel, 1d12-1 vs the Huge vehicle, and 1d12 to the vehicle on a critical hit.

More to come.

:cool:

What exactly do you mean from a roleplaying view that marines would take a few years in academics. I think that move represents more of a game mechanic rule to get more skill points.

I think that the army probably would have more skill points for the reason mentioned. The Marines are the Imperium primary (or at least initial) ground force. The Marines see twice as much actual combat as the army does. Moreover, from my understanding of the Traveller the Marines attack, fight, and leave. This not mean that they are not as intelligenct or anything of that nature, but as a profession they are more oriented to combat than the army usually is.

The army on the otherhand, is slow to moblize, attacks, fights, and stays, and stays, and stays and probably require a greater skill set than the Marines. This allows the army PCs(although I know that many PCs won's do this) to put a few extra points into P/admin, Liason, etc. Think of it this way in Afghanistan the special forces, rangers, marines do the heavy fighting then the regular O get stuck there fighting/security with a lot of admin, public works and other functions. Heck they may still be there in 1120. Just my thoughts

Marines are used as the assault force in the Imperium. The army is the 'hold-the-ground' force. Marines make the landing, secure the zone, and the army comes in to keep it.

I think the amount of feats the marines get make up for the lower skill point average -- kind of (in game terms) shows the intense combat training the marines focus on as opposed to the amount of free time the army grunts have (IMO).

Originally posted by Darth Sillyus:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by eclipse:
Just as a historic note: the term "cudgel" sometimes also refers to the quarterstaff... which was commonly 7-9 feet in length (2.7m). Three whole meters is not too far off the mark if you include staves under the category of "cudgel"

Being an ammeteur staff fighter, I can tell you that they are usefull in surprisingly close quarters if you know the right techniques (and don't mind busting up the wife's good table lamp!)

The British Quarterstaff Association has some interesting info on the topic if you're interested.

http://www.quarterstaff.org/frame.html

My personal style is rather ecclectic, and borrows only slightly from the Brits. But I digress.

I agree with Mink, the Army does seem to get the lower BAB and saves to compensate for the higher skill rate.

For myself:
I will be using slightly longer ranges for ship mounted energy weapons (15,000km) to fit better with some of my older high guard stuff, and percieved "ranges" under those rules.

I also have imperial weapons permits as being harder to get than indicated in TA#1 or THB. That is because I allow them to trump local laws in some circumstances.

Given that my players are HUGE fans of Honor Harrington... I've been playing around with the possibility of using much higher accelerations for the ships to match (slightly altered Imperium campaign). Still undecided on that one though.
</font>[/QUOTE]Ya, I noted the Quarterstaff length. I guess I'm just used to shorter sticks (topping off at 2 meters). My personal take is that a stick that long will take more specilized training. You're moving into short pike range.

There are some weapons in TA#1 that don't fit into the current weapons pro catagories. Nunchucka and the Space Ax are two that come to mind. Perhaps a Weapons Pro (Martial Arts) to cover nunchucka, short & long sticks (escrima, jo, bo & quarterstaff), blade (butterfly knifes, chinese ones, not folding blade in the handle ones), manriki (I know I butchering the spelling, short weighted chains), that sort of stuff.

Space Ax...I don't know...a weapons focus requiring weapons pro (swordsman) and armor pro (vac suit) first?

I was actually picking through feats & skills list last night, selecting those a martial artist would use. In my coupious spare time, I'm going to try and generate one, probably using the mercenary as the base class. I want to see how that works before working up a Martial Artist class. Hmmm..perhaps a premire class?

Originally posted by Ran Malia:
What exactly do you mean from a roleplaying view that marines would take a few years in academics. I think that move represents more of a game mechanic rule to get more skill points.

I think that the army probably would have more skill points for the reason mentioned. The Marines are the Imperium primary (or at least initial) ground force. The Marines see twice as much actual combat as the army does. Moreover, from my understanding of the Traveller the Marines attack, fight, and leave. This not mean that they are not as intelligenct or anything of that nature, but as a profession they are more oriented to combat than the army usually is.

The army on the otherhand, is slow to moblize, attacks, fights, and stays, and stays, and stays and probably require a greater skill set than the Marines. This allows the army PCs(although I know that many PCs won's do this) to put a few extra points into P/admin, Liason, etc. Think of it this way in Afghanistan the special forces, rangers, marines do the heavy fighting then the regular O get stuck there fighting/security with a lot of admin, public works and other functions. Heck they may still be there in 1120. Just my thoughts
I'm gonna take a guess that you were responding to my post about the current rules producing smarter Marines. I wasn't thinking about starting the character off as an academic. For the reason you stated, and it doesn't fit the classic, young soph fresh out of primary school looking to see the universe model.

What I was trying to say was that players wanting Marine characters would tend to place a higher value in the intelligence stat than they would for an Army class character. The extra skill points you pick up for high intelligence would tend to offset the base 2 skills per level that Marines get.

Yes, the character would more skills with the same stats in the Army class, but they wouldn't get all the Marine starting feats, nor would their BAB be as high as it would as a Marine.

I do agree with your view that Imperial Marines are more focused on warfighting than the United Armies of the Imperium. They have the Imperial Navy to handle their supply chain and transport, which helps.
;)

House Rule # 2 Academies

Academies exist for the 4 main services, Army, Navy, Marine, and Merchant.

To get accepted INT check on DC28-EDU-SOC bonus (so a SOC 18 character will have a + 4 better chance of getting into the academy, but it is still harder than regular university DC22). Treat a regular university with automatic OTC. Graduate as commissioned officer upon graduation.

If graduated with honors, +2 to the first assignment roll.

House Rule #3 Decorations, re-enlistment and assignment.

If service career pc gets a decoration during prior history, they get a bonus to re-enlistment and assignment comiserate to their decoration (those who get decorated get better pick of assignments and are more likely to be wanted by their service)

+1 MCUF
+2 The medal whose name I can never remember
+4 Starburst for Extreme Heroism

The bonus is only for the term after the medal was gained for assignment and for all re-enlistment rolls (decoration bonuses are cummulative on re-enlistment rolls, but not assignment).

tenntrav

There are some weapons in TA#1 that don't fit into the current weapons pro catagories. Nunchucka and the Space Ax are two that come to mind. Perhaps a Weapons Pro (Martial Arts) to cover nunchucka, short & long sticks (escrima, jo, bo & quarterstaff), blade (butterfly knifes, chinese ones, not folding blade in the handle ones), manriki (I know I butchering the spelling, short weighted chains), that sort of stuff.
We had that problem, until we found Weapon Prof: Armsman. It appears to include all other weapons, including blunts, axes, polearms, etc.

Originally posted by tenntrav:
House Rule # 2 Academies

Academies exist for the 4 main services, Army, Navy, Marine, and Merchant.

To get accepted INT check on DC28-EDU-SOC bonus (so a SOC 18 character will have a + 4 better chance of getting into the academy, but it is still harder than regular university DC22). Treat a regular university with automatic OTC. Graduate as commissioned officer upon graduation.

If graduated with honors, +2 to the first assignment roll.
Nice. I'd give Soc a bit more weight when applying to the Naval Academy. The Navy has always been the most class oriented service (Sailors and their women, Petty Officers and their wifes, Officers and their Ladies...).

IMTU, The most prestigious would be the Imperial Naval Academy. One per sector. Serves both the Navy & the Imperial Marines. Then the Unified Armies of the Imperium Academies, again one per sector. The Merchant Academies, oh you can have a lot of fun with those. IMTU the major merchant houses (megacorps) have their own, plus a couple of independents the provide graduates to the smaller lines.

Originally posted by Ellros:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> There are some weapons in TA#1 that don't fit into the current weapons pro catagories. Nunchucka and the Space Ax are two that come to mind. Perhaps a Weapons Pro (Martial Arts) to cover nunchucka, short & long sticks (escrima, jo, bo & quarterstaff), blade (butterfly knifes, chinese ones, not folding blade in the handle ones), manriki (I know I butchering the spelling, short weighted chains), that sort of stuff.
We had that problem, until we found Weapon Prof: Armsman. It appears to include all other weapons, including blunts, axes, polearms, etc.</font>[/QUOTE]Maybe it's the name, but I still see that as being very TL4- military. Pike, halberd, quarterstaff, lance, etc.

All well and good for a planet that still has a "Gunpowder God", which a priesthood regulates the flow of black powder to the well heeled pious.
I still have trouble with making a TL A-E Marine learn pike, halbert, light lance, heavy lance, etc. in order to handle a space ax that would cut through TL 4 plate mail like it was cordwood.

Perhaps it's just me. :rolleyes:

Nice. I'd give Soc a bit more weight when applying to the Naval Academy. The Navy has always been the most class oriented service (Sailors and their women, Petty Officers and their wifes, Officers and their Ladies...).

It's a chicken and egg problem. The Naval academy has higher SOC candidates and therefore a higher preponderance of nobility and its seen as have a greater impact on getting into the academy. It is also the only place where 18+SOC characters (if some crazy GM allows a higher than 18 SOC on character gen prior to taking any history) may be encountered.

IMTU isn't based on the 3rd Imperium. (Piper's Federation using 3d map and Honor Harrington story lines). So the relative impact on getting into the academy is similar across services.

Tenntrav

The only house rules I'm considering are to do with mustering out benefits. I'll probably up the value of a vehicle you can get for a vehicle muster out (5000 cr is pretty low, it means "Jeep and only Jeep") I might go as high as 50,000cr or even 100,000cr for a vehicle benefit. I might increase the value of a gun or weapon result too, depending on what you can buy with the current limit. I'll also monkey around with the ship results, so the players can club together on one ship rather than having a fleet.

Originally posted by DrSkull:
The only house rules I'm considering are to do with mustering out benefits. I'll probably up the value of a vehicle you can get for a vehicle muster out (5000 cr is pretty low, it means "Jeep and only Jeep") I might go as high as 50,000cr or even 100,000cr for a vehicle benefit. I might increase the value of a gun or weapon result too, depending on what you can buy with the current limit. I'll also monkey around with the ship results, so the players can club together on one ship rather than having a fleet.
For the gun benefit, using just the THB, and not TA#1, players can get up to an ACR, but not gauss rifles, which may not be such a bad thing.
:rolleyes:

Back