• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Honorifics

Villien

SOC-5
:confused: Ok, so this may seem a bit off, but I was wondering, and in so wondering, was perplexed, a condition not uncommon to my daily state of confusion and stupefication. But, be that as it may, I am here (as opposed to being there and claiming to be here) to put forth a question.

What, in your opinion(s) are the common honorifics in use in the time of the Third Imperium? As in, now we utilise "Mr" or "Mrs/Miss/Ms" or the like for average citizens (no Lords need apply). What, in your mind, would the honorifics be in the time of Traveller?

Any help would be appreciated......

Hey You, You're A Jerk, and Don't Touch That are a few honorifics that I think would stay around for 3 more Millenia in my opinion. hehehe

I don't think there is anything specific in any book on something like this (tho I could be wrong).

Well, Miss and Mrs. are a remnant of a culture where a woman's identity is based on whether she was married or not (also where the term Spinster was used to describe a older woman who wasn't married). A man is always a Mister his whole life - a woman's title changes when/if she gets married. I would think that 3000 years from now, terms like these would be phased out. Mr. Ms. And Mrs. have been around for a long time in one form or another in most of the Western languages. Traditions last a long time. And gender based traditions are really hard to change as they are usually contained within the family unit. Change the parents and the children will change. But then you can always get a Politically Correct-effect going in a culture as well.

Try checking out some of the Eastern/Asian honorifics. I know Japanese honorifics are more based on age/respect than gender. -chan, -san, and -sama at the end of a name are more along the lines of Little One, Sir/Ma'am, and Eldest/Respected One, respectively. Whether or not they are male or female, doesn't matter as much (although Japanese girls usually retain the -chan at the end of their names longer than boys do). Gender differences are reflected more in the use of language (women use ne, men use na, etc...) But also, when an honorific is used towards someone of a different age than the honorific should be used, then it becomes an insult.

Each Traveller culture, looking at it realistically, would most likely have their own honorifics. If the culture is based on a previous culture, then they would probably use the older honorifics. Unless that was part of why the culture changed (i.e. Americans don't use English noble titles, such as Sir or Lord, etc...)

Just my .02Cr (did I even answer the question?)

Scout
P.S. The DGP books Solomani and Aslan: The Rimward Races and Vilani and Vargr: the Spinward Races might have something like this in them. I'll have to look tonite.

Thanks for the info regarding Japanese titles! Always wondered about that, and I will put it to good use in my game.

Since we're on the topic of honorifics (thanks for using that word in a sentence, cuz I couldn't remember it, or ask this without it), what ARE the honorifics used for nobles? I know they were published in one of the books, but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Back