• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Hit Location List

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
Hey - does anyone know which forum that Hit Location list was in about a week ago? I can't seem to find it.

Any help would be hot,

Dameon

Do you mean this one:
Originally posted by WJP:
HIT LOCATION

I use a hit location chart in my games. Most armor typically only covers the torso. You may be interested to know that the first hit location chart below looks simple but is actually derived from REAL numbers from a report on gunshot wounds prepared by the ATF. I was amazed, when I saw that report, how close the percentages were for each body part on this simple chart. You can use this chart with confidence.

1. Head
2. Arm
3. Upper Torso
4. Lower Torso
5. Leg
6. Roll Again

Now, combat in Traveller is very deadly. And, with my multiple action rule, it can be even more deadly. So, in my game, I use a modified version of this chart.

If the roll to-hit is "even", I don't even worry with the chart. 50% of the time, I let the torso get hit (that's the main target area on a body anyway). This keeps characters ALIVE in an otherwise deadly game (because armor typically covers the torso). It also has the added benefit of being quick.

But, if the roll to-hit is "odd", I do roll on the chart. But, I use this chart instead of the (more realistic) chart above.

1. Head
2. Torso
3. Lt. Arm
4. Rt. Arm
5. Lt. Leg
6. Rt. Leg

Note that you can skew results on either hit location chart by using a modifer. A positive modifier will skew results to the lower regions of the body (good when fighting animals). A negative DM will skew results towards the head.

Also note that odd numbers on the chart tend to be the left side of the body, and even number tend to be on the right.

You can take this a step further and use the even/odd thing as a guide when describing, during the game, where the target was shot.

For example, if a "head" result is rolled, and the to-hit throw is odd (and the damage is low), I'll describe a bullet barley grazing the target's left ear.

If a "torso" result occurred, but the attacker rolled an even-numbered attack throw and is behind the target, I'll describe how the bullet smacked into the guy just under the right shoulder blade.

I let the amount of damage dictate where they were hit. The more severe the damage the closer to the vitals. I don't use any set rules for that, I just wing it.

Yeah, that's it! Thanks! I'm trying to rework the combat a little bit. That'll come in very handy. Mind if I borrow it?

Dameon

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Do you mean this one:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by WJP:
HIT LOCATION

I use a hit location chart in my games. Most armor typically only covers the torso. You may be interested to know that the first hit location chart below looks simple but is actually derived from REAL numbers from a report on gunshot wounds prepared by the ATF. I was amazed, when I saw that report, how close the percentages were for each body part on this simple chart. You can use this chart with confidence.

1. Head
2. Arm
3. Upper Torso
4. Lower Torso
5. Leg
6. Roll Again

Now, combat in Traveller is very deadly. And, with my multiple action rule, it can be even more deadly. So, in my game, I use a modified version of this chart.

If the roll to-hit is "even", I don't even worry with the chart. 50% of the time, I let the torso get hit (that's the main target area on a body anyway). This keeps characters ALIVE in an otherwise deadly game (because armor typically covers the torso). It also has the added benefit of being quick.

But, if the roll to-hit is "odd", I do roll on the chart. But, I use this chart instead of the (more realistic) chart above.

1. Head
2. Torso
3. Lt. Arm
4. Rt. Arm
5. Lt. Leg
6. Rt. Leg

Note that you can skew results on either hit location chart by using a modifer. A positive modifier will skew results to the lower regions of the body (good when fighting animals). A negative DM will skew results towards the head.

Also note that odd numbers on the chart tend to be the left side of the body, and even number tend to be on the right.

You can take this a step further and use the even/odd thing as a guide when describing, during the game, where the target was shot.

For example, if a "head" result is rolled, and the to-hit throw is odd (and the damage is low), I'll describe a bullet barley grazing the target's left ear.

If a "torso" result occurred, but the attacker rolled an even-numbered attack throw and is behind the target, I'll describe how the bullet smacked into the guy just under the right shoulder blade.
</font>[/QUOTE]Very useful. I, myself use a 6-sided 'hit location' die my wife picked up at a con & gave
me.

I use MT and just designate one die as the hit location die...high rolls usually mean more damage, therefore;

6=head
5=chest
4=gut
3=leg
2=arm
1=scratch

for called shots ( more difficult ), allow shooter to shift damage location die ( assuming he hit at all ) to whatever location he said before taking the shot, and then figure damage.

Just in case anybody cares. . . . one more for the pile!
12 Head
11 Right Chest
10 Left Chest
9 Lower Abdomen Right
8 Lower Abdomen Left
7 Right Arm
6 Left arm
5 Left Leg Upper
4 Left Leg Lower
3 Right leg Upper
2 Right Leg Lower

For each skill in the weapon add or subtract equal to the skill level to obtain the called shot.

If I was aiming for the right leg
My skill is 2

I roll a “5” with 2D I can subtract “2” for a hit location I want.
Of course this means either a negative on the “to hit” roll or wasting a turn setting up the shot.

Another:

on 1D10....Location
1..........Head / Neck
2-3........Chest
4-5........Arm
6-7........Abdomen
8-10.......Leg

based off of % body area from Medicine for Mountaineering

Like we don´t have enough yet:

Roll 2d6:

2 Head (Face, if from front)
3 Right Upper Arm & Shoulder
4 Right Lower Arm & Hand
5 Right Leg
6 Upper Torso Right (=Chest)
7 Lower Torso (=Abdomen)
8 Upper Torso Left (=Chest)
9 Left Leg
10 Left Lower Arm & Hand
11 Left Upper Arm & Shoulder
12 Head (including neck)

Details are up to Referee discretion.

Ok, what I'm working on (if I get time to do it) is a T20 (or d20) rework of the combat system to make it a little more realistic. I'm going to break it down into Wild Shot (or Pot Shot if you perfer), Normal Shot, and Called Shot (or Aimed Shot).

Here's the Hit Location I'm going to use.

1. Head (Braincase, Jaw, or Neck/Spine)
2. Arm (Shoulder, Upper Arm, Elbow, Forearm, or Hand)
3. Chest (Ribcage, Lung, Heart)
4. Gut (Stomach or Groin)
5. Leg (Calf, Knee, Shin, or Foot)
6. Reroll Hit

I'll break down what happens at each Location eventually. Somehow I need to figure out how to determine Graze (a.k.a. 'it's just a flesh wound') or Penetration (and I think that will be the difference between a normal hit or a critical) - and if penetration, then is it bone, blood vessel, or organ?

Thanks for all the information,

Dameon

I don’t think the one I posted is my idea. I think it was created long ago to account for the “I want to shoot him in the leg” called shot thing. This keeps with the higher number is more fatal concept and allows the skill of the shooter to influence the hit location.

I think it may have sprung up form the idea that zombies need to be shot in the head to be killed.

I like Ptah’s % based on surface area. I think that may be where we got some of our numbers.
I am just surprised that Medicine for Mountaineering has a percentile combat system. It must have been one of those RPGs that never really took off. ;)

Sir D., How does T20 account for aiming and the called shot?

I liked the DGP hit location table

L, R (may be backwards)
2, 12 Hands
3, 11 feet
4, 10 Arms
5, 9 Legs
6 Head
7 Torso
8 abdomen

Subtables, from memory/houserules:
Head, from front
1, 2 Eyes
3 Nose
4 mouth
5 throat
6 Ears

Chest
1 Heart
2, 3 Lungs
4 liver
5 kidney
6 flesh

Abdomen
1: stomach
2-3: Intestine
4: Bowel
5: Bladder
6: Flesh

Originally posted by Kurega Gikur:

I like Ptah’s % based on surface area. I think that may be where we got some of our numbers.
I am just surprised that Medicine for Mountaineering has a percentile combat system. It must have been one of those RPGs that never really took off. ;)

file_21.gif
More rough numbers to assess burn trauma, % of body covered in second degree burns. That sort of thing. Liberties taken to fit onto 1D10.

Perhaps you slyly refer to Avalon Hill's Outdoor Survival game?

I think we have human hit locations down pat.
Anyone got a Hiver hit location chart? What whould the be? Arm, Arm, Arm, Arm, Sorta Arm, Not Arm. ;)

And remember that the DGP hit table was re printed in MT4 - so it can be used as an official variant

Sir D., How does T20 account for aiming and the called shot?
Well, the Called Shot (pg. 151) is a full action as if shooting at the 'lifeform in possession of the target' normally, then they apply a modifier for the size of the target. It doesn't say if the 'lifeform' can still be hit if you miss the 'target'.

I need to pull out all of my d20 books and start reading. There's got to be a little more 'interesting' way to do this.

Dameon

Back