• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Guns!

Guns!

• Total voters
First tier and voted for? Plasma weapons, Gauss Rifles, sidearms (pistols and etc). Second tier? Laser rifle/carbine, laser pistol, SMG. Third tier? Every other ranged weapon (including bows - if yer opponent has only a knife you don't need to get close). Last resort? Bladed weapons.

Bows! Damn, I knew I'd forgotten another one! I had to redo the list twice 'cos I forgot blades and shotguns!

Gauss pistols tend to be the faves IME, followed by gauss rifles and fusion guns (if available).

I prefer gauss pistols, autopistols, and maybe a dagger. I'm not really a rifley kinda guy.

SMGs, rifles, and lasers are very rarely used IME.

My players will arm as heavily as possible at all times. That said, they generally carry a pistol and knife.

I've only had a couple players that stuck to old tech in the face of gauss shooters and ACRs, preferrring pump-action shotguns and revolvers. Big 'ol slug-throwers got style.

PGMP? FGMP? Woof! I've never run into that much firepower. Folks I've played with have gone with pistols and SMGs most often.

Originally posted by Vargas:
PGMP? FGMP? Woof! I've never run into that much firepower. Folks I've played with have gone with pistols and SMGs most often.
Well, if you have to kill someone, why not make sure that someone dies? :confused: :eek: Though I find I use pistols the most often, aside from my laser rifle (in the campaign I've so far actually had combat in).

Pistols of various types (including gauss with snubbies being quite useful), shotguns (handy!), and long blades (duels, boardings, and formal wear). 2nd tier is ACR / rifle types, SMGs, short blades (knife / blade blade), with a few lasers and more exotic weapons*. If the heavier stuff shows up it's usually time to be already leaving the area. ^_^

And of course shockbatons (TA1). zap Zap ZAP ZAAAAAAP!
Disguised as collapsible magic wands or not.

Casey just looking for one divine hammer

* Like a snot gun, Chibi-Killstick (color) from Megatokyo, or the Heavy Snug SMG from T4 modified to T20.

ph34r t3h cute ones!

Actually, that brings up the question of what kind of melee weapon you'd like.

Though why you'd let anyone get close enough to stab you is beyond me - blow the fool's face off and be done with it...

ctually, that brings up the question of what kind of melee weapon you'd like.

Though why you'd let anyone get close enough to stab you is beyond me - blow the fool's face off and be done with it...

The best melee weapon is something similar to a machete.

The reason? Hand to hand fighting today(and presumably in the future when weapons are more advanced) usually occurs when two enemies run into each other in a narrow space(trench, ally, etc). For this the bayonets which they now issue are ineffective-no time to clip it on. However a machete can be simply drawn. Moreover most melee "weapons" are usually used as tools(for cutting brush, etc) rather than for fighting. So the best melee weapon is a tool of this kind that can be easily converted into a weapon.

On that note for Hand to hand weapons. The German WWII entrenching too and Russian Spetznaz Tool s were great examples of "dual use" weapons.

Had one CT player who was ruthlessly determined to carry his SMG every where, regardless of law level or social setting. He also insisted it was a Travellera era version of the WW II Schmeisser MP-40(if I am not mistaken). Oddly enough the dice appeared to favor any attacks he made with this weapon as opposed to any other he was forced to use by his Evil Rat-Bastard of a Referee(me).

Pistols, shotguns, and laser carbine/rifle. All usable onboard. Shotguns can use slugs for knockdown power, flashbangs, flechettes for planetary use, etc. SMGs are a little too indiscriminate for boarding/repulsion action and more frequently illegal dirtside.

I agree that for melee a kuchri is probably ideal, but Trav doesn't model its use too well. I always tried to avoid situations where full auto was necessary (like starting wars).

Well, the question was "weapons" but the options were the more common personal weapons. Of those I went with the way I usually go, a long arm for zero-g and distance when you know a fight is coming (lasers in the old days), something light for when they close or surprise you (everyday wear autopistol or honking huge revolver), and a long blade for those inevitible situations where firearms are inappropriate (high law, flammables, etc.).

Now opening it up a bit more, yeah I'd look at starship weapons, high explosives and perhaps psionics
file_23.gif

1. SMG's: discrete low-mid tech firepower. Very usefull when combined with a suppressor.

2. Shotguns: what the pc's use at higher law levels

3. Laser wps: usefull for long range expeditions out beyond the frontier. Ammo replenishment easy; just plug it into the ships power plant. Scouts love em.

4. The FGMP-15. Accept no substitute.
toast.gif

5. Melee weapons: Let us salute the humble cudgel and broken wine bottle. The working mans melee weapon.

Originally posted by Straybow:
Flammables, hmmm? I sure hope that blade is made of non-sparking metal.
;)
Of course
though any sword fight is likely to not be striking sparks (unlike in all the fanasty movies :rolleyes: ). My preferred choice for high tech is a fiber carbon or plasteel blade. I also like those plastic like microwave into a blob and pound them back to shape knives.

Though come to think of it a captured propellant round should be pretty safe in flammable environments too (baring bullet strikes, hmm some non metallic bullet???), sooo...

Snub Pistols
Auto-shotguns (pump-action will do in a pinch)
Blades

Always did a lot of shipboard combat, and don't want to put any pesky holes in the hull....

5mm autopistol with suppressor delivered to the back of the head. Preferrably while the target is asleep.

LMG with plenty of ammo.

RAM grenade launcher.

Back