• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Fleet Command

Ben W Bell

SOC-14 1K
Peer of the Realm
Each Sector has one named fleet, and each subsector contains one numbered fleet.
Is the named fleet made upof the numbered fleets, I presume so.
Does the sectors governing Duke or Archduke have control over the sector fleet? Same for subsectors.

Originally posted by BenBell:
Each Sector has one named fleet, and each subsector contains one numbered fleet.
Is the named fleet made upof the numbered fleets, I presume so.
Does the sectors governing Duke or Archduke have control over the sector fleet? Same for subsectors.
The Named fleet in each sector is the Imperial fleet, and is generally divided into numbered fleets, one per sub-sector.

There are also colonial fleets, one per subsector, which are raised and maintaned by the worlds within the subsector.

The Imperial navy ships are commanded by the Imperial Navy command, which is answerable only to the Emperor, though the Archduke or sector duke can have a significant impact upon the admirality.

The colonial fleets are commanded by local commanders answerable to the subsector dukes.

Individual worlds also can have fleets, if they wish to spend the additional money to suppport one. These fleets would be commanded by world personel and answerable only to the world govenerment.

Does that answer your question?

Originally posted by thrash:
Thomas, you're conflating CT and MT, when the answers are completely different.
I didn't think I'd mixed them that much. You are correct, there are two fleet organizations from Traveller canon.

In order to reconcile them, you sort of need to assume the Imperial Navy took command of the colonial fleets from the subsector dukes (for the duration of the emergency) and renamed them as number reserve fleets.

I must say I was operating under the impression that each subsector has a Main and a Reserve fleet, usually, and that they were regular Naval units.
If a world wished to raise a colonial squadron then that was their right, as long as they could afford it, but in time of need they were attached to that subsectors reserve fleet under full IN control.
This also does away with the idea of a colonial fleet, though if a particluarly rich world was able to raise more than one squadron I suppose this could be termed a colonial fleet.
A systems defense boats were completely seperate and run, generally, by the system unless there was a naval base in the system in which case there are perhaps two boat units, one naval and one system.

We play a military orientated campaign. The current set of characters are the third generation, being decendents of the first generation. The players have their own colonial fleets, composed of spacecraft they have designed.

The current characters are in the Imperial Navy and Marines, so they are part of the crew of an Imperial vessel.

This has given rise to a number of customs. For example, colonial fleets should not be outside their own space without permission. It is considered rude to be in another noble's space with a fleet without permission.

The player controlled ships are intended for defense and for use in Imperial sanctioned operations, but to date they have only seen action once, about 30 game years ago.

Back