• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Far Trader cargo/Freight manifest questions

Hal

SOC-14 1K
Hello Folks,
Got a question for you all ;)

Suppose you have a careful captain who wants to go to a star that is 7 jumps away. He checks the starport for all available cargo and freight heading out to that destination. But it isn't enough for his cargo hold. It only fills 50% of it. But he figures "Hey wait, there are stars at 6 other destinations along the way - lets look at those potential customers". So he does just that. And lo and behold - the captain is able to fill his cargo hold up to 93% capacity!

My question is this. How does one determine the due date on those lots? Assuming 10 days per jump means that the lot destined for the jump that is 7 jumps away is due 70 days from the day it is scheduled to leave port. The lot due for the planet 6 jumps away is due 60 days from the departure date, and so on.

My question is this: what is an acceptable expecation for due dates?

Is it 10 days? Is it 14 days? Is it 12 days? What?

Hal

Given the posibility that a lot that takes 7 hops to get where it's going could spend an indefinite amount of time waiting to be shipped on, it doesn't seem sensible to expect any fixed delivery date. If the shipper or receiver wants it there by a certain time, they'd better pay for it to go 'Priority'...

I'm not sure exactly how transporting cargo 'more than 1 jump' works. As I've been told you need to deliver them roughly within a week. that you dont do multi-jump cargo's. Thats what your higher jump rated ship's are sapposed to be for.

One thing that seem a bit ambiguous (and if its been said before then I appologize) and I forget how its worded exactly at the moment, but.. Unless a is paid per parsec jumped their's no way to finance a far trader or similar vessel as revenue they generate wont be able to pay its own morgage and maintence.

Originally posted by Zephyrus:
I'm not sure exactly how transporting cargo 'more than 1 jump' works. As I've been told you need to deliver them roughly within a week. that you dont do multi-jump cargo's. Thats what your higher jump rated ship's are sapposed to be for.
With the exclusion of priority freight, no time limit is mentioned in T20 but the pay is per delivery rather than per parsec. If it's needed 3 parsecs away, you get Cr 1000/ton whether that takes you one jump or three. Having J3 does increase your list of options.

Unless a is paid per parsec jumped their's no way to finance a far trader or similar vessel as revenue they generate wont be able to pay its own morgage and maintence.
It's very hard, speculative cargo is really the name of the game. A wanderer wants 200-400 tons, J1 or J2, 1g, a bunch of hi-pop worlds, a good broker, a qualified chief steward, and as little time on the tarmac as possible. The ship eats Cr 10000/day in finance and salaries just sitting there. Do not go adventuring, you can't afford it.

Me, if I were a businessman (rather than an adventurer) then I'd find two planets, two identical ships, three crews (pilot, astrogator, engineer, chief steward), and put a broker at each planet with a warehouse and a fuel purifier. The crews work two weeks on and one week off, the ships do thirty-nine jumps a year between the planets on a nine day cycle, and the brokers have all nine days to buy/sell/book cargo and pax.

The brokers have the Connections (Budget Travel Agencies) feat to fill those high margin low berths. You get a contract with a local nursing agency to defrost your lo-pax on arrival, rather than hiring a medic you only need one day in nine. You hire somebody to come in for a few hours each week and work your fuel purifier if the broker can't handle it.

Do some advertising, since you have a permanent presence on planet. Use your two slowest fortnights of the year for annual maintenance.

Beats free trading any day...

Or be a detached scout. With free maintenace and no monthly finance charge, it's less important to keep moving. You get time to scoop/slurp fuel and pick off the good cargoes. A T20 scout with 20 ton hold makes a very nice spec trader.

The whole model where distance travelled by cargo is not relevant to cost is broken, just like the fact that service standards (normal, expidited, slow boat) don't apply, nor is the thought that all 'passages' on various ships with varying features, attributes, and speeds all cost the same any more sensible.

But, remodelling this might take a bit of thinking, tinkering, and a lot of playtesting.

Classic Traveller does state, both directly and implied, that passage for both cargo and passengers is on a per parsec rate. This change, apparently deliberate, in T20 changes the nature of the Traveller Universe economically. Cannon Traveller uses the per Parsec rate and I highly recommend it if you want to be more realistic. Speculative cargo will only go so far to making up the difference. A typical bank does not take serious risk. Looking at the trade and speculation chart, (which is the virtually identical to CT) is still going to leave you short on a regular basis with a multi-jump freighter. So it would be virtually impossible to finance a freighter with a jump drive higher than Jump-1. In the T20 Universe, aside from military and scout vessels jump-1 would be the norm and anything more would be a rarity. (SO the concept of a standard ship design far trader or liner wouldn't work.)

If you want to amke money on the speculative trade, you could always find a rich world, have the broker skill yourself and buy low and sell high without ever leaving the planet.
There is nothing that says the goods have to be shipped anywhere. Buy a wharehouse and store it for a week if you aren't allowed to sell it the same week you buy it. Cheaper than a starship.

What goods can you purchase, without investing more than 20% of the cost of the ship each stop, that can reasonably expect to turn an income of more than 300,000 per month? (And lets not forget that you have only 66 tons of cargo space.)(Plus salary, broker's fees and actual profit.) Maintenence and payment alone comes in at just under Cr300,000. Even with great brokering skills and the right two planets you are unlikely to be able to clear more than a 50% profit (Consistently) Since the table of what you are allowed to buy is random, you can't always carry what you want, you can't always find the right cargo on the right world. And you can't ensure that your cargo that you bought is going to fill your hold. If you stick to class A starports, if you stick to high population worlds you actually have enough rolls on the speculative cargo table to get a shot at something you want. (8% max) You would have to invest more than Cr600,000 per month (And find cargo that you can invest Cr600,000 per month in 66 tons every month) or you will lose your ship. (After rolling the tables a few times you will find that you can't consistently keep the ship ahead of the payments and in less than a year the bank owns the ship. That they can't turn a profit on either.)

So lets see your business plan so we can discuss your loan Mr. Merchant Prince, Sir.

Oh and remember you have to make this money, every month, including maintanence months, for 480 straight months. It will take you, if it could be done, almost 50 years to make your 20% down back.

Passage, charged on a per parsec rate, with a full load at standard rates, (Good luck at keeping your ship with a full loads.) would require a Far Trader to average 3 parsecs per month to break even. With 4 parsecs per month and full ship each trip, you can actually earn back your 20% down in about 10 years. You still aren't making a profit. Trade and speculation will add to your profit margin if you are any good at it but since it is so random will not add consistently, significantly, to the full load rates.

Now I don't know about you but every time I have played traveller it isn't exactly in the safest neighborhoods. Pirates are expensive.

Now to look at it from the point of view of the customer, instead of the ship owner. Is the reality, of today's world, that if it doesn't matter how long to get there it is cheaper? If it absolutely, positively has to get there overnight then it is more expensive. In T20 if it takes longer to get there it is more expensive! Not only do you have to pay for each leg of the trip, you have to pay someone at each leg to make sure it keeps going in the right direction and you have to pay to wharehouse it while it waits for another ship. If I could get a shipment there in one jump instead of two I would gladly pay the same price for shipping without an intervening stop. (It saves me money.) It also saves me time.

Passengers, well lets look at the typical passenger. What is the typical traveller. A retired Admiral makes less retirement pay than the price of a High Passage in a year. Casual travel is unheard of. YOu are going to be dealing with the rich and the business traveller. For those people time is money. SO paying the same price to go two parsecs without an intervening stop (And the delay in finding another ship for the next leg.) in less than half the time is again a bargain.

Economically the model set up in Classic Traveller is much more realistic than T20 and it actually makes the Universe work. Without it then there is virtually no trade off the Main, it just isn't profitable.

Have a great day,
Bruce

Originally posted by Morte:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zephyrus:
With the exclusion of priority freight, no time limit is mentioned in T20 but the pay is per delivery rather than per parsec. If it's needed 3 parsecs away, you get Cr 1000/ton whether that takes you one jump or three. Having J3 does increase your list of options.

Unless a is paid per parsec jumped their's no way to finance a far trader or similar vessel as revenue they generate wont be able to pay its own morgage and maintence.
It's very hard, speculative cargo is really the name of the game. A wanderer wants 200-400 tons, J1 or J2, 1g, a bunch of hi-pop worlds, a good broker, a qualified chief steward, and as little time on the tarmac as possible. The ship eats Cr 10000/day in finance and salaries just sitting there. Do not go adventuring, you can't afford it.

Me, if I were a businessman (rather than an adventurer) then I'd find two planets, two identical ships, three crews (pilot, astrogator, engineer, chief steward), and put a broker at each planet with a warehouse and a fuel purifier. The crews work two weeks on and one week off, the ships do thirty-nine jumps a year between the planets on a nine day cycle, and the brokers have all nine days to buy/sell/book cargo and pax.

The brokers have the Connections (Budget Travel Agencies) feat to fill those high margin low berths. You get a contract with a local nursing agency to defrost your lo-pax on arrival, rather than hiring a medic you only need one day in nine. You hire somebody to come in for a few hours each week and work your fuel purifier if the broker can't handle it.

Do some advertising, since you have a permanent presence on planet. Use your two slowest fortnights of the year for annual maintenance.

Beats free trading any day...

Or be a detached scout. With free maintenace and no monthly finance charge, it's less important to keep moving. You get time to scoop/slurp fuel and pick off the good cargoes. A T20 scout with 20 ton hold makes a very nice spec trader.
</font>[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by kaladorn:
The whole model where distance travelled by cargo is not relevant to cost is broken, just like the fact that service standards (normal, expidited, slow boat) don't apply, nor is the thought that all 'passages' on various ships with varying features, attributes, and speeds all cost the same any more sensible.

But, remodelling this might take a bit of thinking, tinkering, and a lot of playtesting.
What's GURPS: Far Trader like?

When I saw the amount of page turning and number crunching involved if the players ask "so, what cargo and passengers can we get for all the systems in jump range?", I was pretty tempted to write a computer program to automate it.

Then I figured that since cargo/pax are not a great route to wealth it would be more a case of "OK, we're taking this spec cargo to system X, any cargo/pax going that way?"

Originally posted by Bhoins:
Cannon Traveller uses the per Parsec rate and I highly recommend it if you want to be more realistic.
As it happens I do (for reasons of playability as much as realism).

If you want to amke money on the speculative trade, you could always find a rich world, have the broker skill yourself and buy low and sell high without ever leaving the planet.
That's how the NPC doctor in my Kursis Charter game bought her way off-planet.

Oh and remember you have to make this money, every month, including maintanence months, for 480 straight months. It will take you, if it could be done, almost 50 years to make your 20% down back. <snip> You still aren't making a profit.
One should bear in mind that if you do keep the wolf from the door for 40 years, you aren't just breaking even. At the end of it you have (a) fed yourself for 40 years and (b) attained full ownership of a 40 year old starship which you can sell for tens of millions of credits.

It may feel like running to stand still, but you build a lot of wealth (not cash, wealth) if you keep it going. You've grown richer by half a million creds a year or more. But you don't get to spend that wealth unless you sell up and get out.

Agree with your other points, pretty much.

Following on ...

Say you're a shipping line which has been going for a long time. You own eight ships. Every five years, you sell your oldest ship for MCr 60 and buy a new one for MCr 100. The finance required for the new ship is MCr 40. On those terms, it looks feasible to make a decent 10-15% "book" return on your investment under T20 rules.

But for a single ship free trader who took a loan for a whole new(ish) ship, the cashflow (as opposed to profitability) is a killer.

Originally posted by Bhoins:
Classic Traveller does state, both directly and implied, that passage for both cargo and passengers is on a per parsec rate.
Care to back that up? I've read Book 2, Book 7, MT and I've never seen that indicated. Passages were paid for per passage and freight was paid for per ton per passage. Nowhere was 'per hexes jumped' or 'per parsec' mentioned that I recall.

So lets see your business plan so we can discuss your loan Mr. Merchant Prince, Sir.
This was something I had noticed and had the same 'hmmm, that makes no sense as a business!' thought on.

Oh and remember you have to make this money, every month, including maintanence months, for 480 straight months. It will take you, if it could be done, almost 50 years to make your 20% down back.
That's thinking of it as an investment, as opposed to a job or a career. And at the end of it, you own an awfully expensive asset.

Passage, charged on a per parsec rate,
Which, BTW, if you did it, would mean only the uber rich travel - take the local exchange for many tech 9 or 10 C class starports versus the imperial cred as somewhere between 0.65 and 0.80. Then factor in, instead of charging 8000 Cr for a jump, charging 8000 credits for a parsec. Any trip from an isolated world requiring at least jump 2 (or from my players homeworld, Focaline in the Mora sector, with an E starport and hence an even crappier exchange rate) would cost effectively about 25,000 local credits. OUCH.

This argues for the 'small amount of commerce' traveller universe and the 'not much gets shipped' - and a reexam of the 'what is the cargo' tables.

Now to look at it from the point of view of the customer, instead of the ship owner. Is the reality, of today's world, that if it doesn't matter how long to get there it is cheaper? If it absolutely, positively has to get there overnight then it is more expensive. In T20 if it takes longer to get there it is more expensive! Not only do you have to pay for each leg of the trip, you have to pay someone at each leg to make sure it keeps going in the right direction and you have to pay to wharehouse it while it waits for another ship. If I could get a shipment there in one jump instead of two I would gladly pay the same price for shipping without an intervening stop. (It saves me money.) It also saves me time.
Thus justifying higher rates on the straight higher jump starship.... (instead of three J-1s, 1 J-3 - gets there in one third of the time and costs less in fuel and fees along the way, thus justifying an increment in the surcharge/markup one should be willing to pay!)

Passengers, well lets look at the typical passenger. What is the typical traveller. A retired Admiral makes less retirement pay than the price of a High Passage in a year.
And lord forbid if you're an Noncom.

Casual travel is unheard of. YOu are going to be dealing with the rich and the business traveller. For those people time is money. SO paying the same price to go two parsecs without an intervening stop (And the delay in finding another ship for the next leg.) in less than half the time is again a bargain.
Or perhaps some of the costs are... excessive and thus the fees required to support them are.

Nice thoughts, BTW.

The problem that hits me here is the financing model. It's practically impossible to generate positive cashflow for the first forty years of loan payments, then you've got a license to print money after that.

Hmm, what if free traders were to lease ships rather than buying them?

Joe Trader pays an annual lease equivalent to 150% of the depreciation. The owning finance house makes their profit out of the 50%. Joe never owns any part of the ship. He has to make a monthly lease payment more like 1/1000 of the ship's value than 1/240, but he doesn't get the MCr 60 jackpot after 40 years.

That might suit a player character free trader much better than ownership.

A sophisticated depreciation model (a graph/table), rather than the straight line used in the THB, could make it cheaper to lease old ships than new.

Nope, make it 200% of depreciation. I can't leave this alone...

If you depreciate a ship by 0.9% of its current value every year, the value vs age profile is:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Age Value
0 100.0%
20 82.7%
40 69.0% (THB method gives 70%)
60 57.6%
80 48.1%</pre>[/QUOTE]If you bought a new free trader for MCr 60, you'd pay MCr 12 up front and Cr 250,000/month for forty years, eventually gaining ownership of a 40 year old ship worth about MCr 42 and wondering what to do with it.

If you leased the same ship, 200% of depreciation would come to 2*0.009/12 = 0.15% of current value per month. That's Cr 90,000/month for a new ship, Cr 76,483/month for a 20 year old ship or Cr 62,689/month for a 40 year old ship.

At the end of the lease, you return the ship to its owners. If the value of the ship is unusual for its age (e.g. high due to a drive replacement, low due to damage), then the current depreciation and leasing costs automatically adjust in line.

Tweak the depreciation curve and the lease premium to taste. Discounts for reputable customers, long leases etc.

By trading future ownership for present cashflow, you make proprietary trading feasible and remain consistent with the existing setting.

Am I turning into somebody who plays with traveller?

Nope, make it 200% of depreciation. I can't leave this alone...

If you depreciate a ship by 0.9% of its current value every year, the value vs age profile is:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Age Value
0 100.0%
20 82.7%
40 69.0% (THB method gives 70%)
60 57.6%
80 48.1%</pre>
[/quote]

Umm, I get 50% value for a 40 year old ship looking at THB p.279 not 70% (10% right off and 10% per decade after). That formula while simplistic gives you a valuable ship life of 80 years (90 years being 100% depreciation). Seems reasonable to me. It is quick and easy, even if not highly realistic, much like the rest of the economics model. Good enough for role playing.

Of course imtu I also require a major overhaul (4 weeks and 1% of original cost) every 10 years or all USP rated systems are reduced by one factor (minimum 0) and the ship value is reduced an additional 5%. (giving a valuable life of only 50 years (60 years being 100% depreciation) for neglected ships.

So where in your progression does it hit 100% depreciation?

Originally posted by far-trader:
Umm, I get 50% value for a 40 year old ship looking at THB p.279 not 70% (10% right off and 10% per decade after).
It's 10% then 1% every two years (or 1% every single year if not properly maintined). I assumed proper maintenance, 10% off immediately, then 20% over the next 40 years.

This isn't errata is it? *checks* Nope.

Never. You never hit zero on "reducing balance" depreciation, it's always worth something. This model is no better than the one in the book, but it does give a neat and meaningful to charge less for leasing an old ship.

Really, one should draw a proper actuarial curve running from new to scrap for the purposes of financial modelling, but... ...but I think "lease at 0.15% of current value per month, subject to status" works OK.

Your ten year overhauls would mesh fine. Adjust the value of the ship to suit the overhaul that was(n't) done, and the 0.15%/month lease fee goes up or down to match.

Umm, I get 50% value for a 40 year old ship looking at THB p.279 not 70% (10% right off and 10% per decade after).
It's 10% then 1% every two years (or 1% every single year if not properly maintined). I assumed proper maintenance, 10% off immediately, then 20% over the next 40 years.

This isn't errata is it? *checks* Nope.
Ah, right, the next part below, I was just going with the bit at the top of the page on used ships.

Never. You never hit zero on "reducing balance" depreciation, it's always worth something.
D'oh, right. I really should have seen that
file_28.gif

Really, one should draw a proper actuarial curve running from new to scrap for the purposes of financial modelling, but... ...but I think "lease at 0.15% of current value per month, subject to status" works OK.

Your ten year overhauls would mesh fine. Adjust the value of the ship to suit the overhaul that was(n't) done, and the 0.15%/month lease fee goes up or down to match.
I like it

Of course don't let that or fear of being one of those who "plays with" Traveller (sometimes) stop you from doing the work, maybe even enough to fill a Traveller's Aide on Trade hmmmm?
file_23.gif
(or is that already in the works?)

What's GURPS: Far Trader like?
Complex to use, but pretty sane from an economics standpoint (at least, for micro-economics. Some of the macro stuff is doubtful). Prices are on a per-parsec basis, with a special price for J1 (mostly because, per cargo ton per parsec, the most efficient designs are J2 and J3).

Actually a free trader works. You can make your payments and make a profit. In (generally with some lucky speculation to make up for short falls in full loads) you can earn enough money over operating costs to get back your 20% down in less than 10 years. Use it to buy another and keep making money. The broken part is the economics of the Jump-2 through Jump-6 ships. Without per parsec vs. per jump charging they are economically unfeasable. (Though with a fleet of Jump-1 freighters you could cover the costs of a far trader or Liner if you were feeling charitable.)

Following on ...

Say you're a shipping line which has been going for a long time. You own eight ships. Every five years, you sell your oldest ship for MCr 60 and buy a new one for MCr 100. The finance required for the new ship is MCr 40. On those terms, it looks feasible to make a decent 10-15% "book" return on your investment under T20 rules.

But for a single ship free trader who took a loan for a whole new(ish) ship, the cashflow (as opposed to profitability) is a killer.

Ok You own the ship and after 40 years, if you get to keep the Far Trader that long, (I guess you are resorting to piracy and praying that a Patrol Cruiser doesn't catch you, or perhaps a "real" Corsair.
You might have a ship worth between Mcr30 and Mcr50. But until your 40 years are up you don't own it and are not really making a profit until you earn your 20% back. (Which under T20 as written isn't possible until after you pay the ship off in 40 years of cheating, stealing the cargo you are carrying and running from someone.

[ </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Oh and remember you have to make this money, every month, including maintanence months, for 480 straight months. It will take you, if it could be done, almost 50 years to make your 20% down back. <snip> You still aren't making a profit.
One should bear in mind that if you do keep the wolf from the door for 40 years, you aren't just breaking even. At the end of it you have (a) fed yourself for 40 years and (b) attained full ownership of a 40 year old starship which you can sell for tens of millions of credits.

It may feel like running to stand still, but you build a lot of wealth (not cash, wealth) if you keep it going. You've grown richer by half a million creds a year or more. But you don't get to spend that wealth unless you sell up and get out.

Agree with your other points, pretty much. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Thanks.
Bruce

Originally posted by kaladorn:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bhoins:
Classic Traveller does state, both directly and implied, that passage for both cargo and passengers is on a per parsec rate.
Care to back that up? I've read Book 2, Book 7, MT and I've never seen that indicated. Passages were paid for per passage and freight was paid for per ton per passage. Nowhere was 'per hexes jumped' or 'per parsec' mentioned that I recall.

Book 2 Classic Traveller Page 9. "Differences in starship jump capacity have no specific effect on passage prices. A jump-3 starship charges the same passage price as a jump-1 starship. the difference is that a jump-3 ship can reach the destination in one jump, while the jump-1 ship would take three seperate jumps(through two intermediate destinations, and requiring three seperate tickets) to reach it. Higher jump numbers may make otherwise inaccessable destinations within reach. But for two ships going to the same destination in one jump each would charge the same cargo or passage price."

That implies that a Jump three ship doing a three parsec jump charges the same as a jump-1 ship making three jumps. (Or Cr30000 for a high passage.)

MegaTraveller Page 90 of the Imperial Encyclopedia uses the same quote.

Not exactly clear, but relativly clear.Adventure 13, Signal GK, spells it out more directly. On pg 21 shows that a Jump-1 hop nets a loss of Cr12,132 but a Jump-2 hop shows a net profit of Cr15,877. (I haven't done the full math on it to figure out why it is only a Cr30,000 swing but I will assume they can do the math.) I actually think the loss is higher on a jump-1 with a Sub liner.

I seem to remember another example, besides Signal GK, but I can't find it off the top of my head.

There are definitely sections where it appears to contradict this. But the Starship economics on a Freighter with a Jump Drive higher than Jump-1 just don't work the other way.

The starship economics examples also don't seem to take into account that the ship won't be operating while it is undergoing maintenence so you would have to set aside half a month's ship's payment and spread it out through the year. Or is it that there are only 12 payments in a year but there are 13 months? (Sup. 13, forms and charts) But "the total financed price equals 220% of the cash purchase price, paid off over a period of 40 years." (Book 2, pg. 7)

This was something I had noticed and had the same 'hmmm, that makes no sense as a business!' thought on.

That's thinking of it as an investment, as opposed to a job or a career. And at the end of it, you own an awfully expensive asset.

Passage, charged on a per parsec rate,
Which, BTW, if you did it, would mean only the uber rich travel - take the local exchange for many tech 9 or 10 C class starports versus the imperial cred as somewhere between 0.65 and 0.80. Then factor in, instead of charging 8000 Cr for a jump, charging 8000 credits for a parsec. Any trip from an isolated world requiring at least jump 2 (or from my players homeworld, Focaline in the Mora sector, with an E starport and hence an even crappier exchange rate) would cost effectively about 25,000 local credits. OUCH.

This argues for the 'small amount of commerce' traveller universe and the 'not much gets shipped' - and a reexam of the 'what is the cargo' tables.

Thus justifying higher rates on the straight higher jump starship.... (instead of three J-1s, 1 J-3 - gets there in one third of the time and costs less in fuel and fees along the way, thus justifying an increment in the surcharge/markup one should be willing to pay!)

Passengers, well lets look at the typical passenger. What is the typical traveller. A retired Admiral makes less retirement pay than the price of a High Passage in a year.
And lord forbid if you're an Noncom.

Casual travel is unheard of. YOu are going to be dealing with the rich and the business traveller. For those people time is money. SO paying the same price to go two parsecs without an intervening stop (And the delay in finding another ship for the next leg.) in less than half the time is again a bargain.
Or perhaps some of the costs are... excessive and thus the fees required to support them are.

Nice thoughts, BTW.
</font>[/QUOTE]

Back