• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Famous ships from TV and Movies

Are there any USP's or deckplans of famous starships available anywhere?

Specifically I'm interested in Battlestar Galactica...

Not sure if there are any commercially made deckplans for the Galactica. I know several are in existence of the Enterprise.

Originally posted by bozzutoman:
Are there any USP's or deckplans of famous starships available anywhere?

Specifically I'm interested in Battlestar Galactica...
There was a set of collectable "deckplans" released during the original run of the show that were basically exterior elevations and IIRC a bridge deckplan. But they were not real good quality.

There has been some decent fan stuff on a number of websites from year to year, most of it side-view cutaways ala the Engineering displays on Star Trek. You can go to Kobol.com and check the links out...

As to other stuff, there are a few good Millenium Falcon sites floating around, there are commercially available Enterprise-D plans, and if you hunt you can still find the old FASA Enterprise and D7 plans out there.

Don't even know if your interest extends to Trek in particular, but Star Trek: The Magazine has deckplans and 3/4 views of various sets in each issue.

Well, the BG plans are aweful and actually show almost nothing of the ship. False advertising at best.

I've had some interest in recreating USPs for various TV shows and movies (Battlestar Galactica, Lost in Space, Space 1999, Starship Troopers -movie only). The real challenge is meshing the technologies. For example, BG appears to have a dual spinal mount demonstrated by the Pegasus.
So, I started putting together rules for multi-spinal mount vessels and then created the ship in both system. This is a weakness in the canon. They never really explain why a vessel in space cannot support a dual or triad structured spinal mounting system.
Its important to attempt to match the characteristics of the vessel while making it work for CT. Generally, that means weapons and drive systems will have some variations. BG appeared to have relatively weak point defenses weapons (turrets) and its necessary to ramp those up to make it effective in CT also there will usually be variations in crew size and type.
It might be easier to accomplish BG with FFS but I kept my efforts within the CT system and home rules. Changing the canon can be risky. It is important to develop limitations.

Copywrite infringement probably stopped GDW from producing such vessels and publishing them. Although, there were several vessels in CT that had a Star Wars look to them. Even the Chrysanthemum is similar to a Star Trek design. One player did publish deckplans for it on the web.

Savage

Originally posted by savage:
The real challenge is meshing the technologies.
For most milieus I'd agree, but for BG they are really similar -- batteries of turrets, armor, low-level defensive screens, fighters, and missile bays.

...rules for multi-spinal mount vessels...
That's not really necessary. Just install one spinal mount and assume two beams. They fire simultaneously anyway.

The Battlestars are hundreds of years old and have been refitted countless times. Maybe the super-structure couldn't handle a single mega-weapon. Especially since it would most likely run right through the access tube that runs between the two outrigger launch bays.

Changing the canon can be risky.
Nah...I'm not afraid of the canon police.
file_23.gif

My idea is collect as much realiable data as possible, then, design it as close to the rules as possible. Fudge only if absolutely necessary.

I've discovered a great resource site: Battlestar Galactica Tech-Manual. There's a page with tons of data specifically gathered about the Columbia Class Battlestar.

Hell, since apparently no one else has done a write-up, I may take a crack at it myself. Though I'll probably pass on deckplans...

Thanks for the Link, Tanuki. ;) My web pages at sff.net haven't been updated for nearly 2 years - it happens when you're busy writing....

Love the modular Scout. It helps to see what other people are doing when designing your own. Do you use your designs for other than gaming? I have a mix of old Traveller books on loan, and own some of the newer GURPS ones as well as the fabulous Naval Architect book. I've been struggling to design ships for my books. Main problem is getting the hull dimensions for the deck plans since my maths is pathetic! The new modular design system is great, if only there was an easy way to work out the hull dimensions against the volume of the ship and the shape you want. Oh for a neat little program - or the ability to write one myself! Sadly my field is the Arts and Literature. When I get it together I will stick my own original designs and plans up on my site. I also have permission from Marc Miller to Credit them to Traveller, which is nice.

Anyway, many thanks for the Link and letting us see all your great designs.

EDIT: Just found a great spreadsheet to do Fire, Fusion and Steel designs at this site, but can't mail the author of them as it keeps bouncing back to me as Unknown. Anyone know him, please?
http://home.earthlink.net/~andyakins/traveller/

This is the best Star Wars site I have found, with articles on design philosophy and deckplans.

http://www.synicon.com.au/sw/index.html#

Of course, accurate deckplans for movie/TV ships are hard to find because they don't need them. All they need is an outer appearance that could plausibly enclose the interior sets. Deck plans are made by fans trying to rationalize the two.

bozzutoman,

Yes. Traveller and BG are similar. But BG really doesn't do significant point defense. Its concept of spinal mounts are also different. I would point to the multi-directional firing arcs of the basestars as an example. I have considered designing a custom weapons bay as an alternative.

Refracting the beam in the same direction? Why.
Actually the bottom of the hull looks like seperate weapon systems. The real question is what happens to it vs a Traveller battleship since battlestars engage the enemy. Perhaps like russian carriers.

I liked and used the tech manual site. It appears to be well thought out by people playing the BG game. Hence, the BG game could be considered canon.

Not sure where your going with refiting spinal mounts. Spinal tends to be considered integral to the original ship design. Other canon references tend to lean towards the columbia class being relatively new.
The US Navy decided it would convert polaris subs into seals delivery systems. They wanted to remove the integral missile tubes and found the ship would loose integrity. Hence, the missile tubes stayed. I suspect it would be difficult to put a 16 inch turret on an aircraft carrier after the fact.

Other great sites include;
battlestarpegasus.com
Also, several sites in the Rag Tag Fleet Network have done extensive modeling that can be used in making assumptions.

Good luck,

Savage

One of MY favorites from TV was the eagle shuttle (and the super swifts) from the series 'space 1999'...

If I remember right the eagles where modular and different containers could be used as needed.

and lets no forget the moonbase itself...pretty cool....but ignore the total lack of real science in the series....such as, how could the moon reach interstellar speeds? and how come the base wasn't destroyed from the seismic forces OF THE MOON BEING RIPPED FROM OBIT !!!!

Nurd_boy:

I'm a big fan of Gerry Anderson's stuff. In addition to Space 1999 there was also UFO and the movie Doppelgänger.

Hell I even liked the Thunderbirds... well the ships anyway.

Yeah, Space 1999 pushed the limits of plausibility. I suppose that's the fiction part of SciFi. The plots weren't what really attracted me to the show though, it was the HARDWARE... and an inexplicable attraction to Maya.

Originally posted by Kitt:
Thanks for the Link, Tanuki. ;) My web pages at sff.net haven't been updated for nearly 2 years - it happens when you're busy writing....

Love the modular Scout. It helps to see what other people are doing when designing your own. Do you use your designs for other than gaming? I have a mix of old Traveller books on loan, and own some of the newer GURPS ones as well as the fabulous Naval Architect book. I've been struggling to design ships for my books. Main problem is getting the hull dimensions for the deck plans since my maths is pathetic! The new modular design system is great, if only there was an easy way to work out the hull dimensions against the volume of the ship and the shape you want. Oh for a neat little program - or the ability to write one myself! Sadly my field is the Arts and Literature. When I get it together I will stick my own original designs and plans up on my site. I also have permission from Marc Miller to Credit them to Traveller, which is nice.

Anyway, many thanks for the Link and letting us see all your great designs.
Thanks, Kitt. :cool:

Yes, I use deckplans and Traveller designs in my own writing and I've done deckplans/designs for my wife's novels-in-progress as well. It really helps to keep track of story-location and I think that a consistant set of design rules adds a feel of reality to the whole.

Generally when I'm working up a design I'll allocate system blocks on graph paper, with 2 squares per dton -- 40 squares for 20 dtons of bridge/avionics (5x8 rectangle), 80 squares for 40 dtons of fuel (10x8), 32 squares for 16 dtons of quarters/lounge, etc., and about 10% extra for corridors and waste space. (you can see the CT scoutship forming up here <g>). That helps me see basic blocks of stuff and how it all interrelates.

I'll decide how many decks I want to split that up into and start allocating rectangles and triangles of blocks into some kind of a rough shape (saving the fuel for last to use as filler and shaper). Where the hull curves in above or below I'll add additional squares to allocate space cut off from the 3 meter high basic deckplan chunks. Once I've allocated things around, the rough deckplan outlines are there, and presto, so are the basic dimensions. :D

Last time I did this I used legos with each locking circle unit representing one half dton -- the basic 2x4 brick was 4 dtons. I used different colored legos for various systems, counted out the appropriate number of blocks for each, and built the basic design that became the Fiddleback type T cruiser that way. I built up the four engine pods, and the central core, then added fuel around them until I had a shape I liked.

So I don't usually bother with formulas for length/width/volume. The Broadword was an exception since I wanted to get it all to fit within a proper sized sphere (the sphere of the original deckplans is actually around 1200 dtons -- for an 800 dton ship). I had to find a formula for the volume of a dome (top and bottom decks), and for the ring left after you core a sphere (the fuel tanks). OTOH if I'm not trying to fill a specific shape I prefer the building block method.

Hope this helps.

savage:

I think you're letting the constraints of canon overwhelm the intent. Like Uncle Bob implied, there is no canon when it comes to TV and movies. They're just models and sets.

Technically, the only way to design the Galactica strictly-canon would be to create new ground-up rules that would follow specs of that particular milieu. This would include Tylium Energizers, ion drive engines, ill-defined FTL travel, turbo-lasers and pulsar weapons... oh, and solonite missiles that fire much like stock footage of ICBM missiles.
file_22.gif

At that point you're playing Battlestar Galactica: The RPG. Which I personally don't care to do. What I'm talking about is a Traveller-designed version that follows closely... but not so closely that I'm no longer playing Traveller.

Refracting the beam in the same direction? Why.
Actually the bottom of the hull looks like seperate weapon systems. The real question is what happens to it vs a Traveller battleship since battlestars engage the enemy. Perhaps like russian carriers.
Who said anything about refracting anything? :confused: All I said was just "pretend" that a 7000-ton Type T Meson Gun (for example) installed using High Guard is actually two separate 3500-ton weapons that when fired produce the effects of the single Type T.

In S9 Fighting Ships the Antiama class Fleet Carrier description mentions that older Imperial dreadnaughts where more multi-functional, much like a Battlestar is. It kinda fits, since Apollo states, in the episode The Hand of God, that the Galactica was launched 500 yahrens ago.

Originally posted by bozzutoman:
Nurd_boy:

I'm a big fan of Gerry Anderson's stuff. In addition to Space 1999 there was also UFO and the movie Doppelgänger.

Hell I even liked the Thunderbirds... well the ships anyway.

Yeah, Space 1999 pushed the limits of plausibility. I suppose that's the fiction part of SciFi. The plots weren't what really attracted me to the show though, it was the HARDWARE... and an inexplicable attraction to Maya.
MMMMM....Maya

There are several sites dedicated towards Space1999.
www.space1999eagle.com

I think an interesting element were the NASA fans that liked the eagle designs. The only real complaint was the enlarged exhaust system.

Maya...ok the 1970s version of Seven of Nine.

Originally posted by Ellros:
Oh man, I love Gerry Anderson's stuff too. I love the marionation. Captain Scarlett is one of the best.

Here's a site with a little info on the T-birds anyway...

Thunderbirds info site
If your local cable caries the TechTV channel they play "Thnderbirds" several times a day.

Does anybody else remember "Fireball XL-5"?

here's a few for you old-timers....

the jupiter II ...(TV series version)

the T.A.D.I.S.

the yamato...(from starblazers)

the macross

Captain Harlock's pirate ship..(pirate flag flapping in space included)

Queen Emaraldis' pirate ship..(the blimp with a galleon as a gondolla)

the saucers from 'earth vs. the flying suacers'...a 50's era classic movie

the martian ships from 'war of the worlds'..another 50's classic

the ship from 'forbidden planet'...leslie neilsen as a serious actor (and young too)

the smilie ship from 'heavy meatal'...

the dome ship from 'silent running'...and the coffee maker-looking robots too

the ship from disney's 'the black hole'

the hammerhead fighters from 'space above and beyond'...

the fighters from buck rodgers tv series ( wilma dearing (erin grey) WAS HOT in that tight flight suit..imho)

galaxy express train/ship

the X-jet from X-men (tv and movie)

'voyage to the bottom of the sea' both the submarine AND the flying sub where cool

the patrol cruiser from star rangers (I have the series on tape..all 4 episodes)

need I continue? or have I proven my geekiness/nurdiness?

:cool:

Back