• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Exports

Mythmere

SOC-13
Is there a resource list of specific commodity ideas that could be used in generating descriptions of worlds? If not, can anyone donate some ideas?

Example:
Local animals are used to produce an antibiotic in cost-effective fashion. The animals are then hunted (or are kept in stockades for slaughter, but they might need to be free range for the process to work) and rendered for the antibiotic.

Trees on the planet grow with odd color striations, and the wood is a viable commodity in interstellar trade.

The planet's soil grows an excellent and unique coffee bean or wine grape.

Originally posted by thrash:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mythmere:
Is there a resource list of specific commodity ideas that could be used in generating descriptions of worlds? If not, can anyone donate some ideas?
There are a couple of different lists of commodities and industries used to standardize trade statistics. These are pretty easy to plunder for ideas.

The Standard International Trade Classification (SITC):

http://pacific.commerce.ubc.ca/trade/sitc3-4.html

(This was used as the basis for a sidebar in GT: Far Trader.)

The Standard Industrial Classification (SIC):

http://pacific.commerce.ubc.ca/trade/sic87-4.html

The Harmonized Commodity Coding and Description System (Harmonized System, HS):

http://pacific.commerce.ubc.ca/trade/HS-10.txt
</font>[/QUOTE]Thank you, thank you, thank you...

You've done it now!

I've been looking for these for ages.

Ben

Originally posted by thrash:
Originally posted by Mythmere:
[qb]

<snip>

The Standard International Trade Classification (SITC):

http://pacific.commerce.ubc.ca/trade/sitc3-4.html

(This was used as the basis for a sidebar in GT: Far Trader.)

The Standard Industrial Classification (SIC):

http://pacific.commerce.ubc.ca/trade/sic87-4.html

The Harmonized Commodity Coding and Description System (Harmonized System, HS):

http://pacific.commerce.ubc.ca/trade/HS-10.txt
I have already fired copies of these links to many friends, they are priceless!

O'me God!!!...pant, pant, drool, drool!!!
Trader Jims hands start shaking...he sees Credit signs floating around in his head!!!...how come we havent seen this before!!!...RL its 1:27AM and I am running copies!!!

Ediable Offel??? heheheheh...BURRITTOS!!!!!!! :D
file_21.gif

LOOK, LOOK, COFFEE JUICE BT THE TON!!!....and I mean the FREAKING....TON!!!!!...YAAAAAY!!!...Trader Jim is VINDICATED!!!!!!
file_21.gif
file_21.gif
file_21.gif
file_21.gif
file_21.gif

Hey ---- theres enough CARGO here for Trader Jim to go Legit!!!!....NA...Nope...just wouldnt be the same!!!!

But i gotta say.....this INFO is GOLD, GOLD!!!!

Now how do i break this down into Cargo Tables???

HHHmmmnn Liam!!! O' Liam where are you????

should this go under "fleshing it Out"???? heheheheheh
file_21.gif
file_21.gif

excellent stuff..one small problem--LOOK at the vast detail here...this stuff alone fills a book!
remember our goal TJ-streamlined? Okay..I've seen it, thanks.. ;)

No..not blind--but Antares Administration's ITB might take a gander at this..this is way more detail. I'm not saying its *NOT useful* to traveller trade campaigns, I just don't see where I'd condense the Trade goods into codes any simpler than has already been done outside of saying:

Living cargoes
Non living cargoes

The trade tables of Merchant Prince (HG?/MT) and beyond cover all sorts of goodies and services a freighter Skipper can get his hands on already...

If I may be a wet blanket (as I watch my 5 stars disappear!):

Instead of trying to define every possible cargo why not just provide a some what generalized list of cargo types and a large table of modifiers. Modifiers could provide enough color to satisfy most GM's without dictating specifics; such as (totally off the top of my head):

Roll 2 - cargo requires special handling (1d6% increase in cost)

Roll 3 - cargo has hazardous components/by-products (1-2 flammable, 3-4 explosive, 5-6 radioactive, etc.). Even live cargo, with alien body chemistry, could cause problems

Roll 4 - cargo is gravity sensitive (load/off load only at highport)

Roll 5 - cargo containers are odd size (2d6% more cargo space consumed)

Roll 6 - cargo's shelf life expires in 2d6 days, after which its value drops to zero!

etc., etc., etc. These suck and y'all could think of much better, but you get the idea.

Otherwise, this list will be immense, difficult to shoehorn into your existing TU, still to generic, and still not cover everything.

Perhaps developing these lists into planetary economy tables would be better, then have GM's consult the listings for all planets within X parsecs. The larger/better the starport, the greater value of X as a large starport would draw more diverse cargo. This should give you a plethora of cargos, reflective of the local economy, without relying on the old standby ore, fertilizer, passengers, consumer goods, etc.

sometimes i just dont understand you guys...these lists cover CARGOs for SPACE freighters, ALSO GROUND TRANSPORT, ALSO WET/WATER freighters. Sombody has to MAKE all these products, therefore
there are FACTORIES WARHOUSES PEOPLE involved, PORTS involved, distribution Centers, on and off planet...entire planets are involved in these lists.....i could go on and on!!!

use these list correctly and you can tie in every concept of the EMPIRE....

hell...I can see a new list of just what these list represent and how you could use them..

Ooooooooh. Droooooooooooooooooooooooool!

I'd need to print this! TJ, if I were sure you wouldn't stab me in the back, I'd offer to help you set this trade empire up!

Now, weapons don't seem to have been listed, but there's a lot of info in there to miss... And besides, weapons can be made out of raw materials.

Now what ever gave you the idea that i would STAB you in the BACK???...Its the "code" of the Old West...shoot em in the FRONT..while lookin em in the EYES!!!!...I mean after all...fair is fair RIGHT!!! hehehehehehehe :eek:
file_21.gif
file_21.gif

seriously..this is going to be the economic "base" for my new world i am building.
i will be using the "book" we are all working on, to build the "PORTS".
i will use the lists here for a whole lot of the rest of it...

looks like "ARCADIA" is coming togather!!!!

more to follow in Random Static!!!!

and what is neat, is that all the ideas and materials used are only coming form the Traveller Web Site and these forums/boards!!!!!
;)

Well, my secret project is now out. what iwant to do is prove to myself (and others) is that you can bulid a world,star system, EMPIRE just from the many "POSTS" from the "boards", also using all the many URLS in them, want to show that you can do it and NOT use anything else!!!...I also am going to try and give credit to the person who gave me the idea!!!

Am I CRAZY???.....has this been attemped???

COMMENTS COMMENTS COMMENTS?????????

What? TJ has a SENSE of HONOR?
:D Since when?
file_23.gif

I'll be waiting, the foil to ruin (or profit off of) your plans...
file_22.gif

Originally posted by trader jim:
Well, my secret project is now out. what iwant to do is prove to myself (and others) is that you can bulid a world,star system, EMPIRE just from the many "POSTS" from the "boards", also using all the many URLS in them, want to show that you can do it and NOT use anything else!!!...I also am going to try and give credit to the person who gave me the idea!!!

Am I CRAZY???.....has this been attemped???

COMMENTS COMMENTS COMMENTS?????????
Hurry, mush, faster . . .

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

THE LAST URL OF THIS POST IS 367 PAGES LONG..

THERE ARE NO "INDICATORES" TELLING YOU THIS!!!!

BE WARNED!!!

I MADE A REAL MESS TRY ING TO CANCELL THE PRINTING!!!

STUPID!!!!! MY FAULT!!!!...... :mad: :mad:

Back