• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

E-Paper, E-Wax & E-Seal for your Noble Orders!

E-Paper
Using high tech active or ‘smart’ paper this parchment like document can be written on with a traditional pen or stylus. It will hold the message in bubble memory, and display it when opened. It can also be placed in an E-Tablet, and have data downloaded, embedding images, movies, and audio, almost anything one could place in E-mail. It can also have encryption devices or codes embedded which make it visible only to the designated receiver, or only after the seal is broken in a preapproved way. Flexible, it can be folded or rolled or crumpled and still retain its message. Waterproof, using bubble memory it is even resistant to EMP. Signatures and Biometric data can be encoded into the paper or the message or both; which is then used to verify the identity of the sender.

E-Sealing Wax
Made of data plastic-silicon/carbon wax, this chemical mixture is inert until heat and pressure are applied. Stored on a strip of data paper, individual ‘dots’ of E-Wax can have authentication codes, or public/private key sequences loaded into them. After activation, often with an E-Seal, the dot can be applied to most common surfaces and form a molecular bond. After bonding (which is almost immediate) the E-Wax will take a string of data or a code string and remain rigid under whatever settings are chosen by the original sealer. It can be set to dissolve once broken, showing that an E-Letter or container has been opened, or allowed to remain intact to allow resealing, with the proper codes.

E-Seal
An Electronic ID for sealing E-Papers with E-Sealing Wax. Often found with Imperial nobles, businessmen, customs officials, or anyone who needs to send authenticated data in a physical format. This small cube or cylinder of material has a seal or chop carved or embossed into one end. The shaft or grip-end contains palm/print readers and biometric sensors, which verify the authorized user. Some models are designed to be kept close to the user; either around the neck or in a pocket so that the seal “knows” the user is still alive. If removed from proximity of the keeper of the seal, or if the keeper is dead, the seal will scramble its core and not work. These come in models as simple as only providing a physical/electronic stamp in a stamp the size of a pen, all the way to pass cards/data system keys/personal identification/symbol of office the size of a small mace! Though size is not a true indicator of function, the more ornate ones will often be found in the more snobbish noble palaces.

When a message is written on E-Paper and sealed with E-Wax and an E-Seal, it is a physically and electronically secure document that can be designed only to be read by the intended recipient. It can also be used to verify that a document is authentic. In the Third Imperium many Patents of Nobility and Imperial Warrants are made this way. The use of commonly available software and sensors, or another E-Seal that has ‘trusted’ status with the original sender, can verify the validity of an E-Document. It is also used for courier messages that are at risk for electronic interception. While at risk of interception, many high level seals are only handed out at ceremonies such as swearing of oaths of fealty, commissioning of an officer, or even noble births! This allows biometric ‘bonding’ of a seal to a particular individual, reducing the utility of a forgery, and making the interception of an E-Seal difficult.

Interesting.

But we realize that with quantum computers, cracking encryption may be fairly straightforward in the future. Even now, if you have enough plaintext (more characters than your key length), you in theory can decrypt the transmission. Repeated use of the same keys (if someone can keep compiling the data) will allow someone to hack the data. The only true safety lies in something like a one time pad, but that is exposed to any number of physical security issues.

And the effort in maintaining appropriate and timely public key registries to allow validation of the originator of an out-system message would be fun.... imagine a message arrives from Strephon to Norris... in the hands of some guy named Merchant Bob. The message is already weeks and months old by the time it arrives. And Norris will have had to have updated codes to even open it.

Now, there are some ways to compensate for this like using trusted couriers, but then half of the authentication becomes the 'who' that is carrying the message, as much as the message itself.

And you just know every PC with computer programming and mathematics is going to want to take a crack at breaking your smart paper....

Kaladorn, All good points. And yes, I had considered one-time pads, trusted couriers; quantum computing and N set problems. However, this felt like a good enough hand wave, with some concessions to modern encryption, to make the opening of the sealed letter and crispness of new orders something that would be relevant in the Traveller Universe.
To quote by Leroy Guatney at http://www.freelancetraveller.com/features/rules/tss/tss1.html
--Referee Briefing--
As I said in the Introduction to the Series, Stempel architecture allows the Traveller Referee to even justify/explain the AI Virus. Armed with the Stempel architecture, even the unarmed Referee can stand up to the most experienced computer expert.
Most direct statements can be answered with, "Sorry, but I'm using Stempel computer architecture in my campaign. Keep it Simple, Stempel."
--The Guarantee--
As long as the user of Stempel Architecture does not "overdefine" the technology, all assaults from knowledgeable players like myself, can be successfully fended off. Computer knowledgeable referees may not even need Stempel Architecture, but may enjoy incorporating it into the campaign as an "alien" computer architecture.

Like I told my players,
“This doesn’t work like ‘modern computers’ (Handwave), you have every assurance that this paper is from whom it says, and unchanged since the seal is intact.”
omega.gif

How about a Bio-Seal?
omega.gif
Human skin is constantly being shed in microscopic bits. The Bio-Seal coating on the surface of the E-Paper uses this to read genetic code. You only get ones and zeros, but with a couple thousand digits that`s not much of a problem. :D The 007 unit has a built in disintegrator that will destroy the message when the reader puts it down or if the wrong code is present for to long.

The DNA reader for the e-paper is a good idea, and something similar could be used to identify the sender : use a "rubber stamp" that draw a minute amout of blood, identify the user and use the DNA from the blood in a special ink readable by the receiver. If the user is not identified by the stamp, it simply put a precoded sequence, warning the receiver the message was sent by an unkown source.

Gentlemen,

What an intriguing topic! Great ideas from every poster. So good, in fact, that I've stole them all!

Given that cheek swabs are generally used for gathering DNA samples, I'm guessing that the phrase 'licking an envelope' will have an entirely new meaning in the 57th Century...

Sincerely,
Larsen

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
Gentlemen,

What an intriguing topic! Great ideas from every poster. So good, in fact, that I've stole them all!

Given that cheek swabs are generally used for gathering DNA samples, I'm guessing that the phrase 'licking an envelope' will have an entirely new meaning in the 57th Century...

Sincerely,
Larsen
Not to mention (oops I guess I am ;) ) "sealed with a kiss" and making "handshake" deals via a worn ring dna sampler.

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
Hey, be my guest !

Of course, all those methods of identification can be tampered with. Just imagine the PC getting a mission to aquire blood or other intimate bodily fluids from a well protected NPC (noble, high ranking officer, etc.)
file_22.gif

Originally posted by Horatio Hex:
]Hey, be my guest !

Of course, all those methods of identification can be tampered with. Just imagine the PC getting a mission to aquire blood or other intimate bodily fluids from a well protected NPC (noble, high ranking officer, etc.)
file_22.gif
Luckily, Grizzly doesn`t have access to Internet...

Please, Horatio... *DON`T* mention this during next game

Originally posted by Sandman:
Luckily, Grizzly doesn`t have access to Internet...

Please, Horatio... *DON`T* mention this during next game
Of course ! We already give him enough material during the actual games sessions :D

Back on topic. An alternative to the DNA method would be using a chip implanted in the sender, which would sign the document via electronic encryption.

I guess whatever the method used to make a message "trustable", people will want to read each others mail. And that means jobs for the PC to get the documents or protect them !

Back