• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Does the new edition need complimentary software?

Berg

SOC-13
In this day and age, having a character generation program to complement an RPG system seems necessary.
Should it be included or part of a larger software package that includes ship and world design offered as a seperate product?

How about a "productivity pack", containing programs, PDFs, spreadsheets, and whatnot?

How about a model that supports "plug-ins" (for lack of a better term) to support different interests. So the one on sale would be for chargen, then have separate world/subsector/sector generators and a separate ship designer.

This way, something could get out the door fast, as chargen is probably going to be easier to develop than a ship generator. (Maybe "easy" isn't the right word here - "More likely to work correctly" is probably the better phrase) The other plug-ins could come later.

I really like the "productivity pack" idea with things like PDF forms, etc. Maybe even a stylesheet to display the XML generated from the chargen program. :D

This would be a good idea, but for charater generation, the most basic function, I think that something is needed with the initial product.

Look at T20. There working on a PCGen one (which seems ok), yet every couple of weeks someone comes to the boards inquiring about a Chargen prog.
For DnD they appear all over the net and one was even included in the 3.0 PHB.
I don't think it's too much to add to a product, and it doesn't even have to be a "disk" in the book/box. It could be a code or something you get when you make the purchase that lets you download it. Whichever form costs the least to the publisher...
It would certainly add "value" to the product ;)

"Productivity Pack"
I'm sorry, but that just sounds ... blech.

I like the idea, though, and Jim's final note connects nicely to our discussions elsewhere of UWP data in an XML format. (And, heck yeah, let's do characters in XML, too!) I would actually offer a couple of different stylesheets - would help people customize and produce their own if they like.

But, Berg, you shouldn't need a chargen program for T5. It shouldn't be as complicated as T20 - at least for basic chargen.

Originally posted by Fritz88:
But, Berg, you shouldn't need a chargen program for T5. It shouldn't be as complicated as T20 - at least for basic chargen.
Probably not as complicated, but that's beside the point, for one main reason...
As a GM's aide
Having to roll up tons of NPC's can be a real pain, and I think it adds great value at a small cost. If it isn't that complicated then it should be easy to make and be a good selling point ;)

Yeah, I was casting about for a slick title, and settled for a cheesy one instead.

Quick chargen yes -- for generating scads of NPCs at a glance. Format output based on a template, and provide a standard text template. By default then, custom ones can be added, including HTML (with a nice style sheet) and XML (with same) and CSV (for spreadsheet imports).

UWP gen yes -- for same. Throw in a random subsector/sector gen, too, and a viewer crapplet in Java so it can run in a browser. Galactic Lite. Re-use the output module from chargen.

A basic hex map feature would be really nice.
Nothing fancy.
System name, X-boat lines, labels, a few basic symbols.

An upgraded version could offer the ability to make your own symbols or other eye candy.

These types of "value added" features I believe help an RPG sell.
"Hey Look, We can start playing this Traveller game in minutes as we can roll up characters and generate a sector in minutes... Wow, a Plot Generator too..." ;)

Plus you can always release/license others to produce more sophisticated products (like universe), that adds a revenue stream (hopefully) to make more product

A kind of Supplement 12 Forms and Charts in a flexible computer format would be really helpful and official ;)

I think it would be cool/helpful to have a chargen that would base NPC skills, background based on Sector/World of origin and TL level.
It would be great for lots of NPC and for those one shot characters to play something different.

Dave Chase

Originally posted by Berg:
Probably not as complicated, but that's beside the point, for one main reason...
As a GM's aide
Having to roll up tons of NPC's can be a real pain, and I think it adds great value at a small cost. If it isn't that complicated then it should be easy to make and be a good selling point ;)

Oooooh, based on birthworld or homeworld... coooool!

Select or randomly determine a birthworld...

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
But I agree, change the name...
Originally posted by Berg:
A kind of Supplement 12 Forms and Charts in a flexible computer format would be really helpful and official ;)
How about "Supplement 1, Forms and Charts"? Everything comes with the option of XML output and one stylesheet to display it nicely in a browser (Forms), as well as some html files with the charts of known space or whatever (Charts).

This gives the added bonus of being able to say you are getting two products for the price of one: the main book(s) and a supplement!

I think that is cool, however, I don't think that the CD should necesarily come included with the book, beleive it or not. Mainly because its another peice of development that needs to be proofed and tested, etc. I wouldn't want the publication of the game held hostage to making sure a stylesheet worked properly.

If there are a lot of peices to this, then it should probably be a separate purchase/download. If it is just a bunch of forms & charts, make it a free download. Anything that has a good deal of coding should require some fee, IMO.

Originally posted by Jim Fetters:
I wouldn't want the publication of the game held hostage to making sure a stylesheet worked properly
Heavens no

Originally posted by Jim Fetters:
If there are a lot of peices to this, then it should probably be a separate purchase/download. If it is just a bunch of forms & charts, make it a free download. Anything that has a good deal of coding should require some fee, IMO.
That's where we could come in
I bet someone here could/would do it for a copy of the game and credits, if it was just a simple one...

The ideal package to me would be something like CT Utility with a mapping feature.
Simple, quick and easy to use.

Back