• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Disposable Flamethrower

Todg

SOC-13
MilTech DIW-2 disposable Incendiary projector

The DIW-2 is a simple weapon designed to give the infantryman an easily carried and used, disposable incendiary weapon for destruction of material or for use on positions vulnerable to flame attack.

The DIW consists of a polymer tube approximately 1 meter long and 8cm in diameter. The tub contains a viscous solution of 5 liters of benzene and polystyrene and a igniter mixture. At the rear of the tube is a gas generator, plunger, grip, trigger and arming mechanism.

To operate, the firer removes the safety tape and removes the end cap at the rear of the tube, exposing the firing grip, trigger and safety pin. To arm, remove the safety pin. The activates the gas generator, and places the tub under pressure. To fire, simply squeeze the trigger while directing the weapon at your target. Pulling the trigger allows gas from the generator to push the plunger (acting much like a syringe), forcing the benzene/polystyrene mixture through a nozzle on the 'muzzle' end of the tube, where the fuel is mixed with the igniter mixture causing ignition.

In field tests, maximum range is about 25-40 meters, depending on weather and wind conditions. The spray last for 2-3 second, and an operator can obtain several short shots before the weapon is fully discharged. After discharge, the empty case is disposed.

The igniter compound can be removed from the weapon for safer long term storage, or to provide a 'cold shot' capability.

The DIW-2 masses approximately 5 kilos and costs Cr30 in volume.

I believe Joe Haldeman described a similar toy, he called it a "Turkey Baster"
file_23.gif
IIRC his was more of an 'improvised weapon' as opposed to something you can pick up at Blammo Toys(tm)

I looked at those rules, but had an issue or two with them. 10D is serious damage, which is fine if you get utterly immolated. But a flamethrower is no less likely to cause a graze, maybe you only get a splash of burning fuel on your back, or arm or leg. And if I'm in hardshell unsealed armour, unless I'm utterly immolated, the armour may well give me time enough to scrape it off or shake the worst of it off, or roll in the dirt and rub it off. Meanwhile, the armour which will slow down a plasma gun ought to do something, even if it isn't fully sealed.

Originally posted by kaladorn:
I looked at those rules, but had an issue or two with them. 10D is serious damage, which is fine if you get utterly immolated. But a flamethrower is no less likely to cause a graze, maybe you only get a splash of burning fuel on your back, or arm or leg. And if I'm in hardshell unsealed armour, unless I'm utterly immolated, the armour may well give me time enough to scrape it off or shake the worst of it off, or roll in the dirt and rub it off.
----------------------------------------------
If your not in sealed armour your in trouble even if you dont get hit, the fire burns up the oxygen, and that splash is just as likely to go down inside your unseeled armour and how do you put it out.
If i was designing the weapon i would make the flamable chemicals supply most but no all of its own oxygen (you cant put it out, but it still sucks oxygen from the air).
Meanwhile, the armour which will slow down a plasma gun ought to do something, even if it isn't fully sealed.
Yes, i would give the armour the same stats against fire (deliberate fire not a camp fire) as against plasma.
Bye.

Originally posted by Zanrain:
Nice, but I run a T20 game. Do you have stats for that?
T20 is the one system I do not know. Reviewing the D20 weapons rules I do have, I can'rt find anything for flamethrowers.

Sorry

I'm not sure how hot a benzene-polystyrene mixture would burn, but a well-designed flamethrower mix burns so hot the flaming gel doesn't have to hit you to deliver 2nd degree burns via superheated air!

If you're in unsealed armor the air will sear your lungs, even if the armor insulates you.

It'd depend how long a burst you got hit with. If you turned away and it just swatted you on the back and you didn't get a facefull of superheated air, you might be okay. Also, even combat armour may have (without being sealed) a filter mask which may actually help in this instance (depends how high tech it is).

If you're standing there and are immolated, I'll have to agree. But it buddy with a flamethrower comes out to play, he'd better be very close and very fast, or your weapon (assuming you are armed with a gun) will really ruin *his* day.

Now, thermobaric weapons of various natures and FAE and such are viable, but best launched from some form of RR or huge RPG. Something that gives you stand off range.... from the guys with rifles

I really created the disposable flamethrower as a TL 7-9 weapon. While incendiary weapons have their uses, there are still things that the old combustible liquid flame thrower can do better.

You can't 'hose' and area with a rocket. You can't squirt flaming fuel into a small firing slit or ventilation shack. The DIW lets you do this without having to strap a giant Zippo on your back.

And there's nothing quite like having sticky, self igniting jelly stuck on you.

I swear the German army has a similiar thing, that gets classified as a grenade sometimes-- an acronym comes to mind. HAFLA? I think GURPS Hi-Tech has got it, mebbe T200 as well.

And here I thought it was the Belgiums that developed it. HAFLA is right. I remember reading about it years ago. (Early 80s.) I also think a WP grenade from a grenade launcher would have about the same effect.

HAFLA DM 34 Hand Flame Cartridge Launcher.

Orinigally made for the Bundeswehr in the 1970s (IIRC)

The projectile is ejected from the launcher and travels about 70 meters before bursting. The incendiary mixture (red phosphorus) bursts with a brilliant flash, emits a large cloud of smoke, and burst at approximately 1300 degrees for about 2 minutes.

Mass 626g Length 445mm

Made by Buck Chemisch-Technische Weke GmbH

There is also the DM38, with an inert filler and smoke for training.

So a HAFLA ain't so much a flamethrower as the type that ignites a stream of liquid whatever, it tosses a chunk of WP(?) or something. This is sorry news for a T2000 Ref I know.

Correct. There is no disposable liquid flame thrower. That was the reason I made the original post. The HAFLA, and the US Army's M-202 incediary rocket launcher shoot rockets loaded with incediary compound that burst after a certain distance is covered. Not at all like the flamethrowers they replaced.

Not sure what the M202 uses, but the HAFLA uses red phosphorus (just like old wooden matches)

Back