• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Design your own

One of the things I liked about "Striker" was the freedom/ability not only to design vehicals, but the weapon systems that went on those vehicals.

For just one example, let us say that I want to design a APC that is a mortor carrier. For the sake of argument let us say that the the "standard" medium mortor from the THB is the same as a real life 81 mm mortor. Fine so far, but I want either a heavier (say 90mm) or lighter weapon (just be be odd let's say 75mm). At this point in time you can't really do that.

Does anyone have any idea how to do a striker type weapon design system that is compatable to T20? If some one is working on such a thing can I have a copy to run some designs/test the system?

Yes, I have a system that allows very fine differentiation between weapons and nearly infinite flexibility.

I guess.

If I wanted a "slightly" lighter mortar then I would drop the range a fraction and increase the ammo capacity.

The above system works absolutely brilliantly, since My imperium is a very large and non "standardized" one, if I make a mistake (I once had a "large" pistol that all the players switched to -showing that I had botched play balance) then it is easy to adjust over time (In that case, once the players had changed worlds, parts/ammo were impossible to get - attrition fixed the problem).

As long as you don't say something like "every marine is issued a body pistol as personal arm" then you can get away with a huge amount of variety. All my marines are issued a small arm, but the type varies radically depending upon where they are.

Summary - Just make it up then adjust to taste.

Originally posted by The Mink:
Yes, I have a system that allows very fine differentiation between weapons and nearly infinite flexibility.

I guess.

<snip>

Ah, fudge, not just a tasty treat but also the sign of a good GM :D

Sounds like you have a great game.

Originally posted by far-trader:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by The Mink:

I guess.

<snip>

Ah, fudge, not just a tasty treat but also the sign of a good GM :D

Sounds like you have a great game.
</font>[/QUOTE]The problem is the above is not an aswer to my question. If I wanted to fudge up something I would have asked if X value sounds good for a variant of a weapon.

What I would like to know if anyone has come up with a design sequence (using striker for an example) for weapons. With Striker for example the 75mm 81mm and 90mm examples I used when I first posted would be (at TL-5)

75mm 12/1/2
81mm 13/2/2 (actually the 80mm entry)
90mm 15/2/2

With the values being the penitration of the round (aka damage), the burst radias and the fragmentation penetration.

As you can see there are differences (potentially very important ones) between these three medium mortors. I would very much like to see such flexability brought to T20

Originally posted by BLH:
The problem is the above is not an aswer to my question. If I wanted to fudge up something I would have asked if X value sounds good for a variant of a weapon.
Right you are, didn't mean to trivialize your question or appear unhelpful. The Mink's idea just seems a good option till we get something official.

In fact I'm hopeful someone can help. I was wishing such a basic weapon design would be part of the handbook but now perhaps we have to hope that it gets treated as a Traveller's Aide supplement.

Barring that all I could offer is the old interpolation guidelines from FF&S.

Right you are, didn't mean to trivialize your question or appear unhelpful. The Mink's idea just seems a good option till we get something official.

In fact I'm hopeful someone can help. I was wishing such a basic weapon design would be part of the handbook but now perhaps we have to hope that it gets treated as a Traveller's Aide supplement.

Barring that all I could offer is the old interpolation guidelines from FF&S. [/QB]
Hmmmm well one thing that I could ask for some "fudge" for. The books Assalt Rifle is around 7mm. I wonder how a 5mm would work. One of MTU's pocket empires carry both current TL-9 gear and by tradition some lower tech weapons. I think, just by the wieght factor alone they would carry a Assalt Rifle of smaller caliber.

Evening BLH,

Along the same lines as GDW TNE FF&S is GURPS Vehicles 2nd Edition.

Originally posted by BLH:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Right you are, didn't mean to trivialize your question or appear unhelpful. The Mink's idea just seems a good option till we get something official.

Barring that all I could offer is the old interpolation guidelines from FF&S.
Hmmmm well one thing that I could ask for some "fudge" for. The books Assalt Rifle is around 7mm. I wonder how a 5mm would work. One of MTU's pocket empires carry both current TL-9 gear and by tradition some lower tech weapons. I think, just by the wieght factor alone they would carry a Assalt Rifle of smaller caliber. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]

Back