• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Deckplans Contest #1: 600 dTon Subsidized Liner (Entries Available)

vutpakdi

SOC-13
While the actual contest is over (though voting remains), I thought that people might be interested in seeing the results of a deckplans contest run by Cardin Brewitt on the Deckplans Yahoo! Group.

The main deckplans contest webpage is at: http://members.shaw.ca/spacecraft/index.htm

The intro page for the first contest is: http://members.shaw.ca/spacecraft/01.htm

The page with contest 1 entries is at: http://members.shaw.ca/spacecraft/01entries.htm

In particular, you should look at Entry #4: Cetus by Gordon Horne. These deckplans are particular striking in presentation and design. The quality of the plans leads me to suspect that Gordon is either an architect or a professional technical illustrator/graphics designer.

I do have an entry (Entry #5: Lillianfel) that is a demonstration of my ongoing 50 dTon modular deck slice concept.

Ron

yes, mr. horne does appear to be a naval architect. the design looks so much like a ship I was looking for the stabilizers. definitely a first for presentation and attention to graphical detail, especially the staterooms and hatch movements - this input from a seeming professional is most welcome to us amateurs.

smith's boat is pretty good. his concept and layout are very pleasing, the intercabin doors are a great idea, and his attention to operational detail is high.

vutpadki's idea looks really good and seems intuitively appropriate. one can readily see a cargo ship's captain owning bridge and engineering modules, and picking up cargo modules and fuel tanks as available like some sort of space-going freight train. this would allow a captain to choose between higher jump/less cargo and lower jump/more cargo, at will. his execution of this concept looks good.

hostman has his eye on the game referee - his plans are printable.

tough to choose.

Originally posted by flykiller:
vutpadki's idea looks really good and seems intuitively appropriate. one can readily see a cargo ship's captain owning bridge and engineering modules, and picking up cargo modules and fuel tanks as available like some sort of space-going freight train. this would allow a captain to choose between higher jump/less cargo and lower jump/more cargo, at will. his execution of this concept looks good.
Ah, being modular during use wasn't quite the intent of my modular deck slices concept. The idea behind my deckplans were to have a set of decks that were modular during construction/assembly. The plans really are for the referee to use in assembling different ships that might be needed during an adventure.

That being said, extending the idea a bit as you suggest is a really good idea. Then, the plans/ships become really modular during use. I'll have to explore making that extension (and how to reflect that in the plans).

Thanks!

Ron

PS: Once I get around to finishing my first pass at the set of plans, all will go on my website in PDF format which will be highly suitable for onscreen use or printing.

Yep. I saw those a bit ago. Definately good work.
I enjoyed the detail in cabins for example.

Savage

Yes. Subscribe to either the (Yahoo) Deckplans list or the announcement list for the contest so you are apprised of dates and such. These lists are not a requirement to participate, but the deckplans list is the primary discussion list for the contest.

Not sure I'll be entering #2, myself, as my typical level of presentation detail does not seem quite as appreciated, despite it being the standard through CT...

All totalled, about 12 hours work on my entry. No template files, either.

And yes, mine were laid out around being printable. (Warning, on B&W/GS, certain bits are not readily visible.)

Back