• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

David Deitrick art

Yes, yes, I know I'm biased, since he's my dad.

I know he may not be the best artist in all history. He has a particular style that fits some genres and topics much better than others.

However, I really think David Deitrick's art captures the look and feel of Traveller perfectly. His tight, graphic style is just an excellent fit.

Plus, with all the covers he did- Tarsus, Beltstrike, Starter Traveller, all the Alien modules except for Hivers, Alien Realms, not to mention the cover for MegaTraveller, covers for TNE supplements and novels, and even mucho 2300 stuff, and all the interior art, his style is what Traveller _should_ look like.

Not to mention the cool poster he did for Hunter.

Granted, some of his Traveller covers were not his best work (although some were quite good), but still they are the essence of Traveller.

Maybe I just inhaled too many of the airbrush fumes from Traveller cover art when my crib was in dad's studio, but that's how I feel.

No, I think that you are completely on the mark...your Dad's art defines what Traveller is about for the Classic Traveller era.

Adventure, heroics, starships and the good sense of a mystery.

Originally posted by Random Goblin:
I know he may not be the best artist in all history. He has a particular style that fits some genres and topics much better than others.
To my mind, aside from the Dave Dorman cover for Hard Times, your father produced by far the best artwork I've yet seen on any Traveller publication. Thank him for me.

Crow

I have always felt that William Keith and David Detrick were the definitive CT artists.

The lady in the cowl (TTB p13) and the AM8 cover make quite an impression when I first saw them. :D

[PS. I don't know if my email reply made it through, but the image was a bit blurry. A higher resolution shot would be great.]

What David Deitrick art I've seen I've liked. But this is still the same David Deitrick who did some art for West End Games back in the day, right?

Not having my Traveller collection in an accessible location. Did your Dad do the Rebellion Sourcebook cover ( link if needed ) as that is one thing if I could get a high quality print of...I would be very happy.

Originally posted by kafka47:
Not having my Traveller collection in an accessible location. Did your Dad do the Rebellion Sourcebook cover ( link if needed ) as that is one thing if I could get a high quality print of...I would be very happy.
Nope. He didn't.

Here's the Traveller cover art I'm sure he did (I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff):

CT:
Starter Traveller
Beltstrike
Tarsus
Aslan
K'kree
Darrian
Solomani
Zhodani
Droyne
Vargr
Alien Realms

MT:
Box Cover/Referee's Manual (same art)
(also the issue of challenge about the planet Earth with the sphinx in the background)

TNE:
Path of Tears
Death of Wisdom
Dream of Chaos
(plus the third novel in that series that never got published, but he did do the cover art, it's probably the best of the three, and he did get paid for it AFAIK)

GRiP:
Promotional Poster

Lots of good work there....

And he hails from 'round my neck of the woods.... (well, ok, further from the bright lights, but he's spent time in the frozen state! I wish I'd had the money to bid on the original of the space piper, used on the Kearny Hilanders book for battletech.

The RSB cover was A C Farley.

I can't honestly say DD is my favourite artist (that would be Jim Burns), but he does have a very distinctive style which seems to fit Traveller very well.

The box cover illustration for Tarsus is top notch - one of my favorite Traveller pieces, along with the box cover illustration for Striker. The alien books were great as well! Too bad he didn't do Hivers - any particular reason why?

Originally posted by FlightCommanderSolitude:
The box cover illustration for Tarsus is top notch - one of my favorite Traveller pieces, along with the box cover illustration for Striker. The alien books were great as well! Too bad he didn't do Hivers - any particular reason why?
Hmm. I don't know. I'll ask if you want.

In my opinion your dad set the standard for equipment guides, the work he did on the one for 2300AD comes immediately to mind. Also, outside of Traveller, I liked the work he did for FASA on its first BattleTech Technical Readout, which consisted of fighters and dropships.

Oh, and all the rest of his art for Traveller was pretty kick*** too.

Your Dad did some nice work. I guess (by your list) he didn't do the Player's Manual cover for MT (I always wondered if whoever did that also did Paranoia art because the IM in BD looked like Vulture Troopers to me). I too would love a big print of the Rebellion Sourcebook cover, Kafka.

Goblin, your Dad did do some good work. I wonder if it is possible to get the picture from the cover of AM6 (The solomani shooting it out with someone) as a print? That would be great!

Your Dad's work, the work of Rob Caswell (the equipment sheets from DGP were amazing), and the inestimable Kieth (always forget which one had the majority art talent) were the people who helped define the look of Traveller for me. I mean, I like LBBs, but the imagery these evoked defined things for me. Especially the AM covers.

I really wish that third TNE book had got out. I just hate getting 2/3rds of a story!

My favorite game art is the cover on the Starer Traveller boxed set. For myself that blonde guy with feathered hair flanked by his two companions established what Traveller was all about in my mind as a young gaming youth. Many kudos to him for that piece.

My second favorite is not a Dietrich piece, but the cover for the GURPS 3rd edition rulebook. For myself that cover is much in line with Dietrich's cover, creating a real sense of adventure for the players or anyone who even glances at the work.

My favourite Traveller Artwork is without a doubt the cover from Starter Traveller - it really defines the traveller experience for me.

I would love to get a print of that artwork - I'd frame it and hang it beside the bookshelves that hold my traveller collection.

Are such things available for purchase ?

RR.

Back