• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Converting the monster manual???

BluWolf

SOC-12
No, I do not want to start filling the imperium with space orcs and liches.

But there are a lot of natural animals in the various Monster catalogs that could be used for usettled planets. Like dinosaurs or any of te argiculturally domesticated critters, water based "monsters" so on and so forth.

What would be the guidance for these hit pointed creatures to convert them to Vitality and Life Blood??

Originally posted by BluWolf:
No, I do not want to start filling the imperium with space orcs and liches.

file_28.gif
Well thank anyone for that. Otherwise we're player 40K and while it was an ok game it's not Traveller

But there are a lot of natural animals in the various Monster catalogs that could be used for usettled planets. Like dinosaurs or any of te argiculturally domesticated critters, water based "monsters" so on and so forth.

What would be the guidance for these hit pointed creatures to convert them to Vitality and Life Blood??
[/QUOTE/]

But you are right about the Non-monsters. That would be useful.

Converting D&D monsters to T20 is very, very simple. This was one of the reasons the system turned out as it did, so conversion and compatablity levels would remain high.

D&D Hit points = T20 Stamina

D&D Constitution = T20 Lifeblood

D&D AC= T20 AC exactly

D&D Armor Bonus (from natural or manufactured armor) divided by 3(round down)= T20 AR for Lifeblood damage reduction (at least that's how it was at last playtest)

Change feet to meters (divide by 3)

You should be good to go!

Gelatinous Cube Stamina 58, Lifeblood 19
Ac 3 AR 0 Speed: 5 meters, everything else as written.

Shambling Mound: Stamina 60, Lifeblood 17
AC 20 AR 3 Speed 7 meters, everything else as written

The Animals, Beasts, Vermin, Plants, and most of the Oozes should drop right in. A fair number of Aberations will also, though editing will be necessary a lot of the time. A few of the lesser kindred of the Dragon type (the Felldrakes in MM2, as a good example) will also work. Shapeshifters, Magical Beasts, and the greater Dragons are probably right out. Humanoids and Monstrous Humanoids are case-by-case.

To provide variation, the Warbeast (MM2), Gargantuan (MM2), Multi-headed (WotC website), and, oddly enough, Half-Dragon (MM) templates will all work pretty nicely.

You'd need to watch the Psionic Monsters (from the Psionic Handbook) VERY carefully, as D&D psi is an order of magnitude more powerful than Traveller psi.

As for avoiding 40k references, I'm generally in agreement, but I make a specific exception for basic Tau and Kroot. I've changed the name and generally ignored the darker aspects, but the Kroot have a place in my Traveller Universe.

Originally posted by DrSkull:
D&D Armor Bonus (from natural or manufactured armor) divided by 3(round down)= T20 AR for Lifeblood damage reduction (at least that's how it was at last playtest)
Good memory. This is how it's cited in the published book.

Change feet to meters (divide by 3)
Actually, it should be meters = feet / 10 * 3.
This is much closer the real conversion (10 ft = 3.048 m) and corresponds with given values (for humans 30 ft becomes 9 m).

Yes, that's better, you want the distance in meters to come out to fiuges evenly divisible by 1.5 for the 1.5 meter to inch miniature scale.

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
Shapeshifters, Magical Beasts, and the greater Dragons are probably right out.
Okay with dragons. But shapeshifters and magical beasts? Shapeshifters aren't exactly a traveller convention, but they are a pretty strong classic SF convention. Dopplegangers and araneas, slightly shifted to make them more sf-feeling, would be nice adversaries, and Tempus Twins (from the Creature Collection 2) have a nice SF feel to them.

Magical beasts sound like they would fit many standard Traveller games. Traveller adventures and animal encoutners are full of little beasties with natural psychic abilities.

Originally posted by Chron:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />No, I do not want to start filling the imperium with space orcs and liches.
oooohhhh Space Orcs
file_21.gif
</font>[/QUOTE]Yes, called Scro from those that remember Spelljammer.

Originally posted by Psion:
[QBGive them an innate alter self ability, and they are mondoshawans from The Fifth Element.[/QB]
Not to hijack the thread, but where do you get the alter self from? I only ever saw them with one form: the big suit of armor.

I think what Psion ment was the other guys with the big lips and ears that kept shape changing.

The Mangalores.
5thelement.html

D&D Constitution = T20 Lifeblood

OK, but I'd suggest also to give bigger beasties a bonus to their Lifeblood.

Why not Beastie/Monsters' Lifeblood = Con + 10 Lifeblood per Size class above Medium

That way a Large beast with 15 Con has 25 LB
a Gargantuan creatue with Con of 20 has 50 LB

I think that would make them more of a challenge to a party armed with some decent high-tech weapons (Autorifles, ACRs, etc)

Just a thought...
-Roger

OK, but I'd suggest also to give bigger beasties a bonus to their Lifeblood.
Why not Beastie/Monsters' Lifeblood = Con + 10 Lifeblood per Size class above Medium
That way a Large beast with 15 Con has 25 LB
a Gargantuan creatue with Con of 20 has 50 LB
I think that would make them more of a challenge to a party armed with some decent high-tech weapons (Autorifles, ACRs, etc)
Gotta concur, given how potentially lethal the T20 rules are. (for which I thank the creators!)
Keep their heads down!

I like the idea of +10 life blood per size class above medium! I think I may even included it when creating amimals using the rules from the T20 book. This would keep the average 12 ton beasty from having fewer Life Blood points than the Ursa in my players' party.

*dah bump* what about the different damage dice in the d20 MM? The damage dice for the creatures in T20 don't follow the standards in the MM. Has anyone used the creatures from the MM in their games?

Mike