• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Conversions from GURPS to T20

Greetings,

I am looking to use the G:T Milieu using the T20 Rules. I was wondering if any official or unofficial conversions had been placed anywhere. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael Breen

Originally posted by Michael Breen:
Greetings,

I am looking to use the G:T Milieu using the T20 Rules. I was wondering if any official or unofficial conversions had been placed anywhere. Any pointers would be appreciated.
It's nearly impossible to make any sort of mehnical conversion make sense, given the way the two systems are set up.

But I'm not sure exactly what you need to convert anyway. The T20 character creation should be just fine for creating charcters for the GT setting.

I would like to convert the alien races from the G:T books (as well as T4), so I am as much asking if the T20 versions of the other major races (and perhaps a general conversion tool) will be available soon or if someone has their own interpretations that I could use. Converting vehicles/tech will also be important but I am hoping I can reverse engineer these things(take G:T capabilities & statistics such as jump capacity, speed, displacement, etc. and build the T20 version that matches those figures).

My main problem is that I am not much of a gearhead/math whiz but I want to make sure that the richness of the G:T milieu gets properly translated into the T20 system.

I am sure that there is much in the book(s) that I just missed due to certain mental deficiencies (the same ones that convinced me to buy a game store).

Thanks for the pointers,
Michael Breen
Hometown Games
Lawrence, KS

Originally posted by Michael Breen:
I would like to convert the alien races from the G:T books (as well as T4), so I am as much asking if the T20 versions of the other major races (and perhaps a general conversion tool) will be available soon or if someone has their own interpretations that I could use.
/Mee Too. no seriously.

But there are problems in converting point-based character templates to non-point based ones.

How to convert bonus abilities/flaws? How to make sure that it's not all unbalanced?

I've made a quick conversion of the Ithklur for a game, I'll go and get the thread I've posted it and will edit this post with the link.

EDIT: Here it is:
Ithklur Thread on CotI

Converting vehicles/tech will also be important but I am hoping I can reverse engineer these things(take G:T capabilities & statistics such as jump capacity, speed, displacement, etc. and build the T20 version that matches those figures).
Now, you'll have REAL fun.

It's two non-compatible systems. T20 is using High-Guard as it's basis (a Classic Traveller book) while Gurps:T is using G:Vehicules/Space/Traveller mishmash.

Ex: There is no concept of "weight" in T20, only "displacement". (for starship that] is...)

There there's the problem of non-matching Tech Levels...

My main problem is that I am not much of a gearhead/math whiz but I want to make sure that the richness of the G:T milieu gets properly translated into the T20 system.
Then Good Luck (TM).

My advice is to go with the basic idea and wing it. If you want to get it "PERFECT" then you'll be doing it for the following ten years just to get a basic "conversion systems"

I made some suggesions regarding the Ithklur racial stats, providing what I would probably use if I were to run the Ithklur in my campaign. Please use Sandman's link above to get to the discussion.

Personally, I try to go for more of the spirit of the race/vehicle/vessel when converting from GT (or any other system) to T20. I've already posted my thoughts on the Prt' minor race (from CT sources) and Vegan minor race (from GT and TNE sources) on these boards. I hope they might give you some thoughts into how you might approach similar conversions.

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Back