• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Computer (Windows XP) Question

Murph

SOC-14 1K
I am thinking seriously of migrating to Windows XP, and would like some feedback please.

1) Which version Home or Pro?
2) I have heard that XP will wreck your system if you do an upgrade, and should always fdisk and and then do a clean installation, true or not?
3) Any issues I need to be aware of?
4) General opinion of Windows XP?

TIA!

Well I'm using XP so here's my opinion.

It is a reasonable OS. Nice enough to use though all the nice features are quite well hidden away.

Home or Pro: Do you program? Do you design Scripted Web Pages that would require you to run IIS or other web servers? Are you part of a large corporate network?
If the answer is no to all of those then home will probably do. If you wish to program or design dynamic pages using IIS you need Professional.

XP needs the NFTS file system on the hard disk so if you are not already running NT or 2000 then you should completely scrub the hard drive and rebuild.

Issues: Some backwards compatability problems but not too many. More integrated, better for people who don't know much about PCs. Keep asking to send error reports to Microsoft if programs crash (not that common an occurance anymore, and if they do crash they don't take he OS with it.)

Originally posted by BenBell:
Well I'm using XP so here's my opinion.

It is a reasonable OS. Nice enough to use though all the nice features are quite well hidden away.
Ditto.
It's also noticeably more stable than 98/Me, and is more compatible with older programs than Win 2000. (Many gamers and other home users avoided Win 2000 becuase of such problems.)

XP needs the NFTS file system on the hard disk so if you are not already running NT or 2000 then you should completely scrub the hard drive and rebuild.
Not true! :eek:
Windows NT, 2000 & NT support but do not require NFTS - they run fine on FAT; XP runs fine on FAT32 too (I forget if 2000 does).

I upgraded my Me system to XP without reformatting or any such. I had no problems (but I *did* check for "known issues" and uninstalled all the bits I was prompted for. Also uninstall any bits the upgrade program is "not sure" about - you are best to re-install them afterwards.)
There's an effective remove XP option which allows you to backtrack, fix problems and re-upgrade to XP.

After a while, when I was happy that I no longer wanted to backtrack to Me, I did in fact convert the file-system to NTFS. The Convert tool will do this, too, without disturbing your files (just don't crash while doing it! ... and take backups).

There are a number of advantages to moving to NTFS once you are happy with XP, including robustness - when FAT systems (including FAT on XP) crash, the file system is usually corrupted - lost blocks, re-linked files etc, and Scandisk must be run to fix it; NTFS does not require this as it has a much more robust file-system...

Issues: Some backwards compatability problems but not too many.
Very few. The main issue is to get new device drivers and such. If the hardware is reasonably uptodate you'll be fine.

I did have to move from the ZoneAlarm firewall to Tiny Firewall (both free for personal use), and there are some bugs in the Eudora mail program relating to hyper-links.

More integrated, better for people who don't know much about PCs. Keep asking to send error reports to Microsoft if programs crash (not that common an occurance anymore, and if they do crash they don't take he OS with it.)

Originally posted by BeRKA:
I recently bought a new DELL laptop with windows XP.

Galactic 2.4 runs a lot slower on it, eventhough my new laptop is 3 times faster than my old... :(
You may need to tell XP to behave like a previous version of Windows for this particular application. Look at the Compatability tab under Properties, you can select anything back to Windows 95. You may find selecting Windows 98/ME may help.

- Neil.

Man, Windows 98SE just died hard on the wife's new machine. For no explainable reason, it died. Got Fatal exception OE and OD errors, and VxD errors. Right in the middle of a screen saver shift from one picture to the next it just went. Hadn't touched it, hadn't done anything to it, it just self immolated. While newer than the install on my machine, it was stable, and not run hard for some reason. Can't even boot into safe mode and stay running, it dies in Safe Mode. Gremlins? Cosmic Rays? Evil Overlord Windows destructor rays? Or just Microsoft?
Well, looks like her machine will get the Windows XP installation as soon as XP Home (OEM) arrives. This is spooky sh*t. Thank God, I had just installed a CD burner and had backed up her document files. This sucks since for no good reason it dies, and now I have to spend 8 hours reloading/formatting/cussing/pleading to get Winders back up and running. Why can't they make it stable? And the worst part is, I'll never know really what killed it.
Hello WinZorch!

Originally posted by Murph:
Gremlins? Cosmic Rays? Evil Overlord Windows destructor rays? Or just Microsoft?

Why can't they make it stable? And the worst part is, I'll never know really what killed it.
Hello WinZorch!
It is possable that there is an issue with your motherboard (or other piece of hardware). It happens. No OS will run well if that is the problem.

Frankly, with the wide variety of hardware that is in existance, it's surprising that Windows is as stable as it is. Mac OS is made by the company that makes the hardware it runs on (and has tight control over what it doesn't make) and even they have issues. Linux is a pretty stable PC platform, but to do that it excludes to much hardware to be of much use to me.

I have found XP Pro to be pretty stable on my system. I've been running it since last April and it's only crashed once (I've even crashed Linux more often than that).

I do recommend wiping your hard drive and starting fresh, it always works better to do this.

To keep this on topic, what is the OS that runs on the computers in Traveller? Winuxosh 5621? :D

You may need to tell XP to behave like a previous version of Windows for this particular application. Look at the Compatability tab under Properties, you can select anything back to Windows 95. You may find selecting Windows 98/ME may help.
I tried selecting win98 (and lots of other settings), but I couldn't get galactic 2.4 to run any faster...

I am thinking seriously of migrating to Windows XP, and would like some feedback please.

1) Which version Home or Pro?
2) I have heard that XP will wreck your system if you do an upgrade, and should always fdisk and and then do a clean installation, true or not?
3) Any issues I need to be aware of?
4) General opinion of Windows XP?

TIA!
Depending on your needs, I'd suggest either Windows 2000 Pro or Windows 98SE. Win2k is as fast and stable as XP and doesn't have the really _nasty_ license terms that XP has. Win98SE is much more stable than it's replacements and has nowhere near the bloat. On many machines Win98SE is far more responsive and it has the ability to handle old dos games _much_ better. If you feel you must use XP then at least _really_ read the EULA before installing.

Going on to answer your other questions:
2) Always fdisk and format before installing windows. It will leave something in the wrong place otherwise and sooner or later you'll be crashing for no apparent reason. This is true of all Windows versions since 3.0.

3)The new interface is a sick joke. And you have to buy the Plus pack for extra $$$ to have the ability to use MP3s. This is just one of the reasons it's refered to by some as Windows eXPensive... There are also some compatability issues with older software and you will need new drivers for everything, but mostly the aesthetics are horrid.

4) While better than Windows ME, that's not saying all that much. Windows 2000 is just as good, if not better. All in all I'd suggest avoiding XP if at all possible.

Hope this helps,
William

Originally posted by William:
3)The new interface is a sick joke. And you have to buy the Plus pack for extra $$$ to have the ability to use MP3s. This is just one of the reasons it's refered to by some as Windows eXPensive... There are also some compatability issues with older software and you will need new drivers for everything, but mostly the aesthetics are horrid.
Funny, mine playes .mp3s just fine, and I didn't buy the plus pack (Media Player handles them just fine). Of course you can always download a free version of WinAMP or RealPlayer...

You always need new drivers with any upgrade, and I've only had one program refuse to run under XP (and I've had several DOS programs work that wouldn't since Win95).

As for how it looks, you can go back to the classic Win9x desktop if you want the retro look. I personally like the new look of the interface. Lots of people didn't like the Win9x look at first when it came out.

Oh Dear ..... Happens to the best of us. It has to happen at least once to everyone no matter what OS you're using.

You can get further info regarding the type of Fatal Exception Errors straight of the Microsoft Website. (If memory serves, VxD errors relate to the Virtual Directory system of Windows. Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong here?)

After learning the hard way on more than one occasion. I now follow the following (self-imposed) guidelines:
- Keep one's data files and documents always away from the primary drive/partition.
- The primary drive or partition ONLY has the OS and any software applications that you use. (eg: Office, Virus Scanner, Comms packages, etc). Software that can be readily reinstalled either off CD or a separate archived area. In other words: A bit of house keeping required.
- Having already set separate storage areas, backup your data files on a regular basis to either a secondary physical HDD, Zip Drive, Burner, etc. if possible.

I operate XP Pro here and I have crashed it on occasions ... usually on purpose as I explore and play and self-teach myself the system.

My system contains 2 physical HDDs. The second HDD operates purely as a backup system in the event of physical failure of the primary HDD. In my particular case (everyone's needs are different) the Primary HDD is partitioned into four partitions:

C: NTFS - Operating System and Apps ONLY.
D: FAT32 - Documentation and Work Files ONLY.
E: FAT32 - Music and Games ONLY.
F: FAT32 - Archived material ONLY. EG: Software drivers, Latest downloaded updates, Software Patches and Fixes, etc.

The ONLY item that I then have to backup off the C: on a semi-regular occasion is my Internet Bookmarks from my web browser (Netscape).

Therefore, if my O/S crashes, it only affects the C:. All of my data and other info is safe. It is mutually exclusive from the C:. The links to these extended logical drives are only re-established with the OS is replaced with the other Applications.

BTW: I refer to Fatal Exception Errors as 'BSDs': Blue Screen of Death.

Another possible solution, try reinstalling Win98SE over the old installation WITHOUT preformatting. You have a reasonable chance of recreating your OS with ALL the links to your previously installed Applications. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the entered CD Key of the reinstall MUST match exactly against the current installation.

I do have a home made multiple IDE CD-Rom Boot Floppy Disk for Win98SE that I can email your direction if you need it. (I also use this same disk to install WinNT machines. (There are cheats available.))

I hope this may be of help to you.

Cheers, DJG.

Man, Windows 98SE just died hard on the wife's new machine. For no explainable reason, it died. Got Fatal exception OE and OD errors, and VxD errors. Right in the middle of a screen saver shift from one picture to the next it just went. Hadn't touched it, hadn't done anything to it, it just self immolated. While newer than the install on my machine, it was stable, and not run hard for some reason. Can't even boot into safe mode and stay running, it dies in Safe Mode. Gremlins? Cosmic Rays? Evil Overlord Windows destructor rays? Or just Microsoft?
Well, looks like her machine will get the Windows XP installation as soon as XP Home (OEM) arrives. This is spooky sh*t. Thank God, I had just installed a CD burner and had backed up her document files. This sucks since for no good reason it dies, and now I have to spend 8 hours reloading/formatting/cussing/pleading to get Winders back up and running. Why can't they make it stable? And the worst part is, I'll never know really what killed it.
Hello WinZorch!

Pro came over and attempted the install of Win XP Home (NO GO), Win XP Pro (No Go), Win 2000 (No Go), and finally Win 98SE (No Go). Machine locked up in BIOS!!!!! Probably a bad cpu is what I am thinking, or bad motherboard. Its definately a hardware issue at this point. I like the seperate partition for o/s and other software, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Hi 'Murph',

Pro came over and attempted the install of Win XP Home (NO GO), Win XP Pro (No Go), Win 2000 (No Go), and finally Win 98SE (No Go). Machine locked up in BIOS!!!!! Probably a bad cpu is what I am thinking, or bad motherboard. Its definately a hardware issue at this point. I like the seperate partition for o/s and other software, I'll give that a try. Thanks.
In one word: "HUMPH!"

There are some other possibilities for this problem. I'll outline each one in turn:

- BIOS settings are corrupted. Open the machine and manually erase the BIOS by either popping out the button battery for about 30 seconds (Needs to be also turned off at mains power as well for this on machines that have a SOFT-OFF option.) OR 'zapping' the BIOS with the appropriate jumper on the m/board. Depends on the make/model/brand/breed of m/b that you have. Power the machine back ON and then try to access the BIOS to reset the basic settings.

- (A classic trap for laptop users.) Sleep mode and Hibernate mode are set to activate at exactly the same time causing a hardware lock. (It took me a long time to discover this one.) IE: If BIOS (hardware setting) is set to hibernate at say 10 minutes and Windows (software setting) is set to enter Sleep mode also at 10 minutes ... The Sleep request causes parts of the m/board to instruct peripheral devices to shutdown. At the same time, the Hibernate request from BIOS activates at the same time also requesting parts of the m/board to instruct peripheral devices to shutdown. The problem is caused by both requests causing the other to fail halfway through its own request thereby causing a hardware lock. The only way out of this is a manual hardware reset and disable the BIOS hiberbation control thereby giving full powersaving control to Windows.

- Another possibility. If you have a machine that has a SOFT-OFF option (ATX Power Supplies), the fault could be with the power supply. (Unlikely but can not be discounted.) You might have received a power surge that may have damaged either the m/board and/or the power supply. In this case affecting the delivery of correct power to the board.
- The problem may not even be with the m/board. Could be with another peripheral device connected to the m/board. Minimum requirements to obtain a machine boot is: CPU, Memory, Video Card and Keyboard only. Disconnect everything else including all drives, sound cards, NICs, and mice etc. If the machine then boots to a stable BIOS screen followed by an error reporting no drives you then know that the basic operation of the m/board is OK. Then it is a case of trying each individual peripheral device until the machine faults. When the machine faults, you then have the dicky peripheral device. (Could also be the socket (ISA/PCI) itself that device plugs into has failed.)

- Make sure there is no dust/dirt buildup inside the machine and the power supply proper. Computers hate dust and humidity - especially at the same time. Caused electrical shorting.

Have a go with these options. In my younger days, I grew up as a techie and did this for a living.

Cheers, DJG

It was a motherboard problem. The motherboard (EPOX 8KHAL) did not like the Athlon XP 1600 chip, it wanted the 1 Ghz Duron back. Bios had it set for "Turbo" mode. The buddy who built the machine had a brainstorm, and told me to slow it down. I did so, and in an hour I had Windows XP-Home up and running on the machine. Tweaking it will take a week or two, but its up and running.

Windows XP is slow to load, and slower to shutdown. Ay Caramba! It takes so long I thought that the machine had hung. But....

Thanks to all who made suggestions, and offered help.

Hi Murph,

It was a motherboard problem. The motherboard (EPOX 8KHAL) did not like the Athlon XP 1600 chip, it wanted the 1 Ghz Duron back. Bios had it set for "Turbo" mode. The buddy who built the machine had a brainstorm, and told me to slow it down. I did so, and in an hour I had Windows XP-Home up and running on the machine. Tweaking it will take a week or two, but its up and running.

Windows XP is slow to load, and slower to shutdown. Ay Caramba! It takes so long I thought that the machine had hung. But....

Thanks to all who made suggestions, and offered help.
No problems. We got there in the end.

I operate an Athlon 1600XP as well with 256k RAM. It does take a while for my box of tricks to shut down ... but then again, I'm not surprised against what I have operating in the background half the time. Very fast to boot though.

Stay safe.

DJG

Back