• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Computer design

Finished working on the vehicle design spreadsheet, which Falkayn has been kind enough to put on his site. Now I'm working on a spreadsheet for computer design, and have a few questions.
1) The THB states that standardization affects only hardware, not software. Would this include the experience data storage and terminals/control panels, or only the computer cores themselves?
2) Can you install more than one experience data storage unit in a robot?
3) Is the amount of experience stored the maximum a robot can ever gain, or is it simply the amount it can store until processed, and then gets cleared out for the next batch of experience points? In other words, the maximum number of experience points per adventure the robot could earn?

Evening AaronKohura,

As mentioned over on the drive train post I put together a CDS spreadsheet with some supporting documentation. What I may have overlooked was mentioning that I submitted the whole kit to Hunter. Additionally, I've made several suggestions on T20 system and Errata boards. With that said I'll give you my 2 cents worth.

1) The THB states that standardization affects only hardware, not software. Would this include the experience data storage and terminals/control panels, or only the computer cores themselves?

I would say that standardization and miniaturization can be applied to all the physical components of a computer.

Interesting question. I'd say that installing a second XP data storage unit would be a good idea as a back-up should the primary suffer damage. However, adding the second unit would also take up volume for something else.

3) Is the amount of experience stored the maximum a robot can ever gain, or is it simply the amount it can store until processed, and then gets cleared out for the next batch of experience points? In other words, the maximum number of experience points per adventure the robot could earn?

My take is that the XP data storage unit is the total amount of experience that the Robot has earned throughout its career. Example a Robot, named George, has a XP data storage unit of 10,000 XP units. Each gaming session George earns 1,000 XP, after 10 games the data unit is full and no further XP can be stored. Now if we upgrade George's XP storage to 20,000 XP them he can continue earning XP.

Finally, which for a present in your email
file_21.gif

Originally posted by AaronKohura:
Finished working on the vehicle design spreadsheet, which Falkayn has been kind enough to put on his site. Now I'm working on a spreadsheet for computer design, and have a few questions.

Questions 2 & 3 are somewhat interrelated. If you cannot link two or more data storage units, then the robot being limited to only the amount of XP's in one unit means that there is no real use for data storage units of less than 1000 xp's, as that is the minimum amount needed for a character to reach 2nd level. It also means that a robot character would be limited to 5th level maximum, as the best data storage unit available in the book is holographic, storing 10,000 experience points, the minimum to make 5th level. If the units can be hooked together, then the robot character could advance as far as it wishes, as long as it had the space in its chassis to add or upgrade data storage units. If the data storage units are temporary holding areas for experience points, until they are integrated into the robot's overall knowledge, then additional units are not needed, unless the robot wanted to be able to store more experience between 'integrations' of the raw data.

Morning AaronKohura,

Well, as a retired sub sailor and trained instructor I had to answer the questions as posted. Bad habit I know, but it also allows me to get some additional posts in.;)

Remember, in the OTU and the most of the variant timelines robots aren't mentioned much and when mentioned there is a paranoid reaction to high intel robotic systems, this also extends to AI systems. In fact the use of artificial limbs devices or robotic enhancements to living sophonts is somewhat negative even when the device is used to replace something lost in an accident or combat.

To design a system that can continually grows my recommendation is to design the XP storage for the level you want the robot to gain. Another is to upgrade as required.

Questions 2 & 3 are somewhat interrelated. If you cannot link two or more data storage units, then the robot being limited to only the amount of XP's in one unit means that there is no real use for data storage units of less than 1000 xp's, as that is the minimum amount needed for a character to reach 2nd level. It also means that a robot character would be limited to 5th level maximum, as the best data storage unit available in the book is holographic, storing 10,000 experience points, the minimum to make 5th level. If the units can be hooked together, then the robot character could advance as far as it wishes, as long as it had the space in its chassis to add or upgrade data storage units. If the data storage units are temporary holding areas for experience points, until they are integrated into the robot's overall knowledge, then additional units are not needed, unless the robot wanted to be able to store more experience between 'integrations' of the raw data.

You are welcome, as mentioned very basic and no frills. Hope this helps you and perhaps gives you ideas to make a better one. Just don't steal my thunder;)

And thank you for the files, I'll be looking them over shortly. :cool:

Back