• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

comic deaths

i once knew a d&d character whose last words were " i bet this is a cloak of poison " . i had two characters who got eaten by other player characters in a glass lift in an imperial research base who got hungry while waiting for three max security bots to be called away on other business .
whats the funniest / best way you have lost a character ?

One of my players in a Call of Chuthulu campaign was chasing an arch cultist, when the cultist jumped into a lake to escape, the character followed. Unfortunately the PC though he was a Knight (yes he was borderline insane) and was wearing replica plate mail when he jumped into the lake to follow him. You can guess the rest - glug!!.

Cheers
Richard

Twilight 2000... jumped out in front of a jeep-mounted minigun in the dark, and forgetting I was still wearing the Spetsnaz uniform I had infiltrated in. Swiss cheese.

Okay, bear in mind this was in Paranoia, and about 15 years sgo. We had an entire party killed trying to enter and pilot a restored, classic 1963 Volkswagon Beetle. I think my character died with his hand caught in the exhaust pipe as the car started backwards down the huge hill that had given me my initial case of road-rash.

It was in AD2300. All charactes driving in their APC, feeling quite secure because the Kafers had no chance to penetrate their vehicle with handguns. Than there appeared that Kafer Deathsled and one PC said: Cool, Tank to Tank fire. The difference between APC and tank is now quite clear to the Players.
toast.gif

Originally posted by hirch duckfinder:
i once knew a d&d character whose last words were " i bet this is a cloak of poison " . i had two characters who got eaten by other player characters in a glass lift in an imperial research base who got hungry while waiting for three max security bots to be called away on other business .
whats the funniest / best way you have lost a character ?
If this thread is moved to Random Static I have a great story about a death in my Paranoia campaign (yes, I do mean campaign :D ). Though in a way Paranoia is kinda cheating. It's way too easy to have amusing character deaths in Paranois.

As for funny Traveller character deaths... Nope, sorry, can't think of any. :(

Hans

While running from a native militia unit one of the players was shot and rendered unconcious. So another of the party picked him up and slung him over his shoulder.

This slower him down a little and made him an easier target. Good job he had his friend as armour on his back. Needless to say the wounded one was rendered quite quite dead.

First game, CT "Researh Station Gama"....bunch of d&d minded hack and slay characters running around killing stuff. Janitorial Robot comes around corner and blinds front two character by over loading it's one lamp. Characters in single file.

Character #1: "I'm blind?"

Character #2: (Also blinded)
"I'll waste it with my SMG!"

Character #1: "NO!!!" (those were his last words) :eek:

Players have made it into a Pirate base in an Oort cloud comet. While clearing rooms one of the pirates tosses a hand grenade. PC says, 'I will pick it up and throw it back' fails miserably and BOOM!
file_23.gif

During a game we called hostage rescue using t2k rule, the SEAL TL ordered the team sniper to "shot the 1st person who comes out the door".....The TL opened the door without resending the order. ;)

Twenty years ago, in high school. Traveller campaign.

Nathan, the referee, at one point asked me what my character's religion was... I think we were on some high-government, high-law world and we were going through the administrivia. I replied "Nathanite".

A few weeks later, we still had this as a running joke... "How do you become a Nathanite priest?" "Fly into a black hole." "How do you become a high priest?" "Fly back out."

Well, all good things must come to an end... the year proceeded, Nathan and I would be graduating, and moving out of town. The campaign was coming to a close.

We played the last adventure, turning the odds on some would-be hijackers and earning senior positions on a luxury starship. Then we surprised the referee... we hijacked the ship ourselves! (not difficult when most of the bridge crew plus the security chief are conspirators
)

After putting the officers, crew, and passengers off the ship, we plotted the course to the nearest black hole... and announced our intentions to become priests! Unfortunately, we didn't become high priests... the Navigation and Piloting rolls were good, but not that good.

Originally posted by Burocrate:
First game, CT "Researh Station Gama"....bunch of d&d minded hack and slay characters running around killing stuff. Janitorial Robot comes around corner and blinds front two character by over loading it's one lamp. Characters in single file.

Character #1: "I'm blind?"

Character #2: (Also blinded)
"I'll waste it with my SMG!"

Character #1: "NO!!!" (those were his last words) :eek:
lol. dangerous places those research stations .

A bunch of my players were doing Argon Gambit, and decided to go to the Vilani gangsters house and intimidate him a bit. They took their only available transport - an ATV, lets face it it looks impressive. They planned to gatecrash his house - drive the ATV through the wall actually - very intimidating entrance.

Unfortunately none had ATV-1 (or any other ATV skill) and it ended up with the ATV in the gansters swimming pool and a lot of very wet PC. No deaths, but with this level of ability, there is plenty of time.

Cheers
Richard

After being politely asked the Imperial Marines to leave the ship in Deep Space and climb on the hull wearing only vac suits, one player decided to get cocky and pulls out a laser pistol. The Marines, however, were armed to the teeth and in Battle Dress..

I tried to be generous but, this was too Munchkin for even me...

Glossing over the character in a RuneQuest campaign of mine who *deliberately* destabilised a loose rockface while hanging from it, the stupidest Traveller death I've refereed -

The characters are in a firefight on board a grounded ship, and have been fired on from an open ceiling hatch. They have a man down, lying in the corridor. One of the characters has previously cobbled together a home-made grenade from TDX. He decides to throw it through the hatch. He succeeds. However, he has chucked it from the side opposite the hatch hinge, and it bounces back off the raised hatch, back down and into the corridor. Everybody gets the hell out the way. Except for the casualty. Cue player recrimination....

Never ever get in a FGMP vs PGMP gunfight in the power plant compartment on a ship while jumping. The results, while spectacular, are fatal to all aboard.
toast.gif

Originally posted by vegascat:
Never ever get in a FGMP vs PGMP gunfight in the power plant compartment on a ship while jumping. The results, while spectacular, are fatal to all aboard.
toast.gif
more topical than you intended?

Originally posted by hirch duckfinder:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by vegascat:
toast.gif
more topical than you intended? </font>[/QUOTE]That's one way to deal with those pesky enemy wessels. :D

I once had a four man scout/courier crew put the poor beastie into a powered dive to escape an orbital patrol. The pilot was making his rolls nicely, but didn't even try to slow the ship until he entered the lower (standard) atmosphere of the planet they were visiting...

and then (after my warnings about the brilliant glow of the hull, hull structural integrity failure alarms, and the screaming warning buzzers from half the systems on the bridge) the pilot decides to try to cool off the white hot hull by kersplunking the ship into a frigid mountain lake...

What resulted was a rather large (some would say "earth shattering") kaboom, a steam plume about four miles high, a lot of hard boiled fish, and one highly fractured hull.

Needless to say, what was left of the crew DID NOT evade the orbital patrol.

Back