• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Children of Earth

Arsulon

SOC-12
Hey guys, I've got a line on some old Traveller Chronicle mags but I'm not sure which issues featured Harold Hale's Children of Earth campaign for TNE. I could've sworn it was 2 issues, but I can't remember if it was #10-11, or #11-12. Liam generously sent me some photocopies of the material but naturally I've gone and lost those... :(

If no one posts an answer, email me off-forum at tomb at stargrunt dot ca and I'll give you info on at least one of them. I have one issue of that product and it has one half of the stuff in it, I think the first half. I'll have to go dig it out... but I'll do that if you drop me a line saying you need it still.

Excellent news! But, does Harold plan to update the site for all the missing information that wasn't able to be put into TTC?

Also, are we ever likely to see some sort of re-publishing under the umbrella of Quicklink? (that is if HH is interested). If not, I wouldn't mind persuing a licence to accomplish that task, as I am one of the many followers who believed that Harold was taking TNE an interesting tract and hope/pray for a merger with MJD's efforts.

Originally posted by kafka47:
Excellent news! But, does Harold plan to update the site for all the missing information that wasn't able to be put into TTC?
I have no idea. Check the website for contact info and ask him.

Also, are we ever likely to see some sort of re-publishing under the umbrella of Quicklink? (that is if HH is interested). If not, I wouldn't mind persuing a licence to accomplish that task, as I am one of the many followers who believed that Harold was taking TNE an interesting tract and hope/pray for a merger with MJD's efforts.
A similar question came up in another thread. I'm not certain but I believe that Martin's answer was that his vision for Earth and the Solomani was different that Harold's so CoE wouldn't become part of QLI. However I could be wrong.

I think MJD has pretty definitively stated that CoE won't be in TNE1248.

He has mentioned a Terran Federation and a Solomani Confederation, both of which are "successors" to the old Solomani Confederation.

Originally posted by daryen:
I think MJD has pretty definitively stated that CoE won't be in TNE1248.

He has mentioned a Terran Federation and a Solomani Confederation, both of which are "successors" to the old Solomani Confederation.
Personally, I hope he'll simply either leave enough unsaid about the early new era years on Terra to allow for a GM to use it or have them defeated and absorbed into his Terran Federation. Perhaps the Dingir folks would be the start of that?

William

I think the email address on the site is quite old. So I don't think Harold would respond. Therefore, anyone who knows him (as I believe someone on the list mentioned they did). Would you be so kind as to make the proposal on my behalf. Or can we get some word from Hunter or MJD, if they would like to reprint the COE as a perhaps even a variant TNE...

I think the email address on the site is quite old. So I don't think Harold would respond. Therefore, anyone who knows him (as I believe someone on the list mentioned they did). Would you be so kind as to make the proposal on my behalf.
Harold's email address is: hdhale@mindspring.com

It looks like he is.
"The Terran Republic Marines - An unfinished manuscript, intended for publication in TTC #12 or #13, resurrected from the dead thanks to a lucky find among some old floppy disks. As time permits, I'll complete this work as I had originally envisioned it, with additional character types, character examples, background, and scenario ideas."

It's up on the new home for CoE now:
http://www.mindspring.com/~hdhale/Traveller/TerranRepublicMarines.pdf

After digging into my archive, I discovered the second part of CoE in issue #11. This strongly suggests that part 1 is in issue #10. I'm not sure if this is vital info, but I did say I'd dig it out and so I have.

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
Meet the new loonies, same as the old loonies.
Sir Larsen,

You may speak opinions I disagree with, but apparently they are few and far in-between. On this matter also we are in absolute concurence. Lots of work in CoE, which I applaud. Content... not for me at all.

I liked the Suppliment 10 Pre-Soviet Solomani Confederation.

I hope Earth's sphere once again becomes just another viable interstellar empire, with merits and flaws just like the 3I. Not some sort of boogey man constructed on repugnant models of government and philosophy.

I am (in real life) a Terran. I'd like to play one without feeling I need to take a bath afterwards.

Originally posted by kaladorn:

I liked the Suppliment 10 Pre-Soviet Solomani Confederation.

I hope Earth's sphere once again becomes just another viable interstellar empire, with merits and flaws just like the 3I. Not some sort of boogey man constructed on repugnant models of government and philosophy.

I am (in real life) a Terran. I'd like to play one without feeling I need to take a bath afterwards.
I totally Agree.In my Traveller games the Solomani Confederation wasn't anymore corrupt than the 3I.

daryen wrote:

"I think MJD has pretty definitively stated that CoE won't be in TNE1248."

Daryen,

That's what I've read too, CoE will not be part of the M:1248 timeline. Of course that doesn't mean that Mr. Hale's incrediable work needs to disappear. I've a feeling that Mr. Dougherty will be leaving oodles of wiggle room in M:1248.

"He has mentioned a Terran Federation and a Solomani Confederation, both of which are "successors" to the old Solomani Confederation."

As good and as comprehensive as the CoE setting is, I - for one - will not miss it as part of the M:1248 timeline. CoE is superb, excellent even, but it also not my cup of tea. I've grown increasingly tired of Traveller's hoariest conceit; Earth as a home to loonies. Well crafted loonies, plausible loonies, even sometimes sympathetic loonies, but loonies none the same.

CoE changes Earth from the Holy Talisman for a herd of goose-stepping, Space Nazis ruled over by the classic USSR troika of Party, Armed Forces, and Security to the Holy Planet for a herd of psionically-inspired, Space Jihadists who, in religious fervor and by order of their new caliphs and popes, send forth a gaggle of crusaders and muhajdeen alike in a effort to 'save' the universe. Blecch. The tables and stats dealing with religious tolerance rolls for CoE PCs and NPCs did it for me.

Meet the new loonies, same as the old loonies.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Originally posted by Larsen E. Whipsnade:
I've grown increasingly tired of Traveller's hoariest conceit; Earth as a home to loonies.

CoE changes Earth ... to the Holy Planet for a herd of psionically-inspired, Space Jihadists who, in religious fervor and by order of their new caliphs and popes, send forth a gaggle of crusaders and muhajdeen alike in a effort to 'save' the universe. Blecch. The tables and stats dealing with religious tolerance rolls for CoE PCs and NPCs did it for me.
The Earth-loonie thing bugs me a little too. It's been overdone.

Still, CoE did one marvellous thing: it presented villains that really got me foaming at the mouth to destroy. It even took the edge off my dislike of the RC's self-righteous kleptomania.

The Gabreelists are _dangerous_. They've got high population worlds! Fortunately, they have to deal with lots of other hi-pop worlds, and Dingir is nearby, but they can outproduce the RC by a HUGE margin.

The Solomani Rim is full of hi-pop worlds. Any pocket empire there is going to be a juggernaut. And there _will_ be PEs - just statistically. Dealing with these PEs will always be difficult.

Alan B

Back