• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Character Sheet

Hunter / Martin,

What's the chances of getting the T20 Character Sheet posted as a preview? I dunno about anyone else, but I'm a sucker for a nice character sheet...

*whistles*
Wow guys, look at the Saving Throw boxes on that one.... ;)

Shane

* Gasps *

Oh no...

You don't mean ... him?

You ... hired ... the MAD IRISHMAN?!?!!! :eek:

Hehehe.

As a longtime user of Mr. Murphy's character sheets, you're getting the best. Check out his web site for samples:

www.mad-irishman.net

BTW, Hunter. I know you'll probably get the Sheets version, but is there any chance of allowing Patrick to do a Forms version, too? Please?

Hunter, the playtest sheet was serviceable, and nice. Glad to see the Mad Irishman getting an official nod, tho'!

Hey the sheet looks great! Yet I thought that Traveller had way more skills then this. Where are all the science and tech skills? There isn't even a medical skill. Who really uses handle animal in space anyway? Just a thought.

Originally posted by PierceBoldmen:
Hey the sheet looks great! Yet I thought that Traveller had way more skills then this. Where are all the science and tech skills? There isn't even a medical skill. Who really uses handle animal in space anyway? Just a thought.
They are there, but are cascade skills found under the Technical, Professional, or Knowledge skills.

Handle Animals might be a handy skill for a Big Game Hunter...

Hunter

Originally posted by Reginald:
Sweet!

Any chance of getting Patrick Murphy to do an Adobe Forms version?
Dunno, I never thought about it. I have no idea how much extra work it would take. Next time I email him I'll try to remember to ask about that. You might drop him an email yourself letting him know you are interested in it.

Hunter

Originally posted by hunter:
Ok here is the first run of the T20 character sheet from the Mad Irishman! Look it over and see if anything seems to be missing, out of place, etc. Particularly you playtesters who know a bit more of what to look for!

T20 Character Sheet by the Mad Irishman!

Hunter
Looks neat and tidy (and a tad more funtional than some d20 sheets!). And the third page especially has me intrigued, really looking forward to seeing how T20 handles prior experience.

Couple of things, I'm not a play tester, but I seem to recall a reference somewhere that T20 was basing Melee BAB on Dexterity, not Strength, or has senility finally caught up with me? And both opened through IE5.5 and locally in Acrobat 5.0, the headings on black blocks are invisible (i.e. appear to be displaying as black text on a black block). Is that a problem with my Acrobat set-up, or something in the file?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Reginald:

Sweet!

Any chance of getting Patrick Murphy to do an Adobe Forms version?
Dunno, I never thought about it. I have no idea how much extra work it would take. Next time I email him I'll try to remember to ask about that. You might drop him an email yourself letting him know you are interested in it.</font>[/QUOTE]Will do. I'll pass along my praise for the sheets as well.

Originally posted by Gallowglass:

And both opened through IE5.5 and locally in Acrobat 5.0, the headings on black blocks are invisible (i.e. appear to be displaying as black text on a black block). Is that a problem with my Acrobat set-up, or something in the file?
Have you updated your Acrobat recently? I assume you have the sheets downloaded on your local hard drive or storage media (floppy, ZIP, or CD-ROM).

www.adobe.com

In any case, the sheets works for me ... in-print and on-screen. I am using Acrobat Reader 5.05.

Originally posted by Gallowglass:
Looks neat and tidy (and a tad more funtional than some d20 sheets!). And the third page especially has me intrigued, really looking forward to seeing how T20 handles prior experience.
It handles it pretty much the same way as Classic Traveller did, except you get experience rather than specific skills for service. You apply the experience and develop your character based on that. Except we can't tell you how to apply that experience. That's where knowledge of the d20 system or having the Player's Handbook is needed.

Couple of things, I'm not a play tester, but I seem to recall a reference somewhere that T20 was basing Melee BAB on Dexterity, not Strength, or has senility finally caught up with me?
Nope, you're not senile. I may be branded a heretic because of this, but we changed melee weapons to use Dex rather than Str. While I understand the reasoning behind d20 using Str, in the T20 setting Dex is more appropriate. Of course as Referee, you are free to use Str instead!

To me that is part of the point of d20. Being able to use mechanics from different sources if you feel it better suits your need or style. We tried to keep the T20 combat system so that is layers over the existing d20 combat system itself. If you prefer to use Hit Points rather than the Stamina/Lifeblood system we developed, you can. It will definately alter the flavor of the game, but it can be done. If you don't want to use the Armor Damage Reduction system we have developed, or prefer to use the Hardness system of d20 you can. Again, it will change the flavor of play but it can be done.

And both opened through IE5.5 and locally in Acrobat 5.0, the headings on black blocks are invisible (i.e. appear to be displaying as black text on a black block). Is that a problem with my Acrobat set-up, or something in the file?
Sounds like a problem with your copy of Acrobat. As suggested by someone else, I would see if there is a newer version. I'm not sure what version he output it for.

Hunter

Nope, you're not senile. I may be branded a heretic because of this, but we changed melee weapons to use Dex rather than Str. While I understand the reasoning behind d20 using Str, in the T20 setting Dex is more appropriate. Of course as Referee, you are free to use Str instead!

To me that is part of the point of d20. Being able to use mechanics from different sources if you feel it better suits your need or style. We tried to keep the T20 combat system so that is layers over the existing d20 combat system itself. If you prefer to use Hit Points rather than the Stamina/Lifeblood system we developed, you can. It will definately alter the flavor of the game, but it can be done. If you don't want to use the Armor Damage Reduction system we have developed, or prefer to use the Hardness system of d20 you can. Again, it will change the flavor of play but it can be done.

So the sheet should probably be altered to say Dexterity under Melee, not Strength then... ;)

And my Acrobat problem appears to be with the full version (5.0.5 26/10/2001), which is what *.pdf's on my work machine default to opening with; Reader (5.0.1 27/03/2001) shows the text absolutely fine... I'll pester tech support with that one I think...

As far as your general comments re the T20 system Hunter, I really like the sound of T20. I'm a d20 sceptic; although I play and run 3e, I don't think it works for every setting, and I doubt it will suit MTU (won't stop me buying it mind: first, to make sure my guess is right and second 'cos its a new Traveller book.. sad isn't it!). But with sufficient work, d20 can become very well suited to a wide variety of settings. The key thing is that a healthy T20 sustains the OTU, and a healthy T20 means it has to walk the fine line between adapting d20 to suit and leaving all the 3e players stranded. It is possible to write an OGL/d20 game that has no levels, armour class, hit points, saving throws or character classes - but it would be futile (why not just write a new system?).

So I am intrigued to see how you and the playtest crew have adapted the d20 rules to a high tech, less (but not non) heroic setting. And I like most of what I have heard so far, not just on the "big" issues like hit points and armour, but these more subtle points like melee AB being based on Dexterity. I look forward to the rule book!

Back