• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Bye, T20 - Hello T2x10!

Yes, a thought occured to me while I out of desperation for never playing any Traveller of any sorts, I sat down and created a character for T20.
An Academic/Rogue/Marine and yes Mal, a mirror of my character in your CT campaign
- but for T20.

What if you replaced the d20 with 2d10?

Advantages:
* The bell-curve. I like bell-curves, I see them everywhere...

* More in line with MT's UTP.
disadvantages:
* One extra step of calculating the skillroll, saveroll and any d20 roll.
*The average is slightly higher with 2d10 (11), compared to 1d20 (10.5).
* it is not the d20 system I guess.

Any thoughts on this?

I've used this method, for both d20 and D&D.

I prefer it.

If you want to keep criticals then consider changing the threat level - the natural roll of the 2d10 needed to threaten a critical:
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">D20 crit 2d10 crit
threat threat
20 18+
19 17+
18 16+
17 15+</pre>[/QUOTE]

Ahh, you are one step ahead of me, I hadn't even considered the critranges.

if I understand you correctly, you replace a crit of 20 with 18+ for 2d10 , thusly:

(It fits surprisingly well, downto atleast 17(d20)/15(2d10))

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">roll D20 odds 2d10 odds

20 5/100 1/100
19+ 10/100 3/100
18+ 15/100 6/100
17+ 20/100 10/100
16+ 25/100 15/100
15+ 30/100 21/100
14+ 35/100 28/100</pre>[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's it exactly.

As I said, I've used it for a while ;)

I even suggested it as a consideration for the T5 task system
file_22.gif

I also started using characteristic damage in T20/T2x10, to more closely mimic CT...

Sigg, I never knew.
file_22.gif
Do you have a 2D10 or D10 based Task resolution mechanic? I assume the answer is yes and I just need to find the right thread?

Gnusam, I've used 2D10 for some time as well also converting fro a d20 linear based mechanic. I can e-mail you conversion statistics from d20 to 2D10 or simply e-mail an Excel sheet with the percentages etc. for a couple of dice combinations including 3D6.

By conversion I mean, e.g., if you needed a 13+ to "hit" on 1d20 what would you need on 2D10 so the odds would be the same. Also I've some conversions for modifiers.

On critical hits/failures, another approach when you have 2 dice is to let doubles represent a critical hit or failure. If you hit and get a double it is critical, if you fail and get a double it is a critical failure. All in an effort to reduce what I need to remember/look-up. If interested I can discuss the pros/cons and modifications of this versus typical d20 based approaches.

Why is everyone hating on number 1? It truly is the lonliest number! You 2d10 guys think about poor old 1 next time you reach for the polyhedrons...

Don't make me start a "Save Number 1" PR campaign...

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
Why is everyone hating on number 1? It truly is the lonliest number! You 2d10 guys think about poor old 1 next time you reach for the polyhedrons...

It's a Traveller tradition - there's no number one on a roll of 2d6 (except with DMs ;) ).

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
file_21.gif

[/QB]
Ohhh, i'm so scared, what are you going to do ? stand alone? ;)

(you know, because you can't stand together with someone, that would make you two)

Originally posted by Ptah:
Gnusam, I've used 2D10 for some time as well also converting fro a d20 linear based mechanic. I can e-mail you conversion statistics from d20 to 2D10 or simply e-mail an Excel sheet with the percentages etc. for a couple of dice combinations including 3D6.
ohhh, gimme, gimme, gimme... ok i'll mess you my email.
Originally posted by Ptah:

By conversion I mean, e.g., if you needed a 13+ to "hit" on 1d20 what would you need on 2D10 so the odds would be the same. Also I've some conversions for modifiers.
I'm interrested to hear more, allthough i have to admit that part of the reason for going over to 2d10 for me, is that it would serve as a "in between" between "take 10" and d20. I kind of want the hitprobabilies to change, but not the critranges.

I've been using 2d10 for decades. Mind you, the red one is tens, the white one is units ...
file_22.gif

file_21.gif

Who is Number 1?
You are Number 6.
I am Number 2.

I find it best no to ask too many questions about Number 1.

*ahem*

Let's not hijack this thread beyond recognition, right? ;)

(BTW my store of lines from The Prisoner is limited anyway...)

T20? Be seeing you!

There - back on topic, and in keeping with the Prisoner theme ... :D

Back