• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Bomb-Pumped Laser Missile

sandman

SOC-13
I'm in need of a clarification:

In the p.270, "Small Craft and Starship Wapon Types" table, we have the following:

Bomb-Pumped Laser Missile *** / d10 damage dice
While in the text just below the table:

*** Treat Bomb-Pumped Laser Missiles as 1d6 [snip snip] from a pulse laser with no radiation damage
Is it d10 or d6 of damage? :confused:

I'd go with the d10. That table and notes has some inconsistencies we hope get cleared up with the next errata.

Bad gramar on the description. I think it should say treat the bomb pumped missile as d6 + 1 per USP hits from a pulse laser. IE. D6+ USP seperate hits from a D10 laser.

That would be about right. 1d6 per USP for the missile plus 1d10 per USP for the lasers. Makes them really ugly. And the generaly explode outside the point defence range.

Originally posted by tjoneslo:
That would be about right. 1d6 per USP for the missile plus 1d10 per USP for the lasers. Makes them really ugly. And the generaly explode outside the point defence range.
Well the point defense range can be changed to cover the Nuke Det Laser det range, that is why you can not rely upon just one type of missile, ie the PD lasers have to take in all ranges and types of missiles and have a lesser chance of prefecting the engagement envelope for just one type of missile.

See my sig below

My understanding of a laser warhead is that it has 1d6 hits each of which are resolved as a pulse laser hit. Each hit does 1d10 damage plus USP. This would make sense with respect to other editions of traveller were a bomb pumped warhead had one warhead and multiple laser generating rods.

Originally posted by Jim Bunk:
My understanding of a laser warhead is that it has 1d6 hits each of which are resolved as a pulse laser hit. Each hit does 1d10 damage plus USP. This would make sense with respect to other editions of traveller were a bomb pumped warhead had one warhead and multiple laser generating rods.
Yes!

That actually make sense

I've read back the thread and was thinking "How can a bomb-pumped laser inflict BOTH missile AND laser damage, since when it explodes to generate the lasers, it's outside of the ship's range, and must bye then be rendered useless. i.e, no more threthening than a rock or debris.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Jim Bunk:
Anpther thing to note about laser warheads is that since the warhead deteonates before it makes contact, it is a harder target for point defense, and dampers tend to be useless against them.
A good book to read about use of bomb pumped weapons is "On Basilisk Station" by David Weber.
http://www.baen.com/library/067157793X/067157793X.htm
Take Care.
Already got it in DeadTree format, will read soon, thanks for the info tho, I'll keep an eye open for those.

Originally posted by tjoneslo:

Back