• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Blast from the Past

aiasinc

SOC-1
Hey everyone, recently I was moving to a new house any my 8 year old son found something and asked "What is this?". I looked and it was my Traveller books! My little black books from the late 70's. My word! You can imagine my shock when he uncovered them, opening the box I was shocked at something else... my characters were in there still after over 20 years... It was like they were awaken from suspended animation or something. So I got online tonight and poked around and found this site!

Can someone tell me what has happened with Traveller since... oh... 1981 or so.
smile.gif

I am actually looking forward to playing again, are there any online games going on? Any computer games? I remember a while back a computer version many years ago but never had it, does anyone remember that? Was it for an Amiga computer maybe?

Derek...

------------------
---
Derek R. Anderson
derek@netxp.com
www.aias-inc.com

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aiasinc:
Can someone tell me what has happened with Traveller since... oh... 1981 or so.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The short version:

1987: GDW Produced MegaTraveller, set during the breakup of the Imperium. Rules are an update of the original CT rules.

1993: GDW Produces Traveller: The New Era. An intelligent computer virus causes havoc and the downfall of interstellar civilation. Rules are a complete rebuild under the GDW 'house system'.

1996: GDW folds, and a company called Imperium Games picks up the license and produced 'Marc Millers Traveller', otherwise known as T4. It goes back to the classic Traveller roots, but is set in Year 0 (the founding of the 3rd Imperium). Product quality is poor, and Imperium folds within a couple of years.

1998: Steve Jackson Games gets a license to produce an alternate Traveller RPG based on the GURPS rules, and set in a timeline where the MegaTraveller Rebellion never occured. GURPS Traveller (GT) is still going strong.

2001: QuikLink (thats us) announces plans to produce a version of Traveller using the d20 game system. Release is pending.

PS: Welcome back!
wink.gif

Hunter

[This message has been edited by hunter (edited 01 April 2002).]

Hunter pretty much covered it in his nicely done brief, except he failed to answer your question about online computer games. Perhaps he didn't want to come on too strong with a plug for another of QuikLink's products, GRIP Traveller (see http://www.RPGRealms.com/GRIP/griptrav.html ).
I wish I could add my personal endorsement but as much as I'd like to try it out I still need to find a deal on a windoze emulator for my Mac. They only make a PC version as yet, though there were rumors a while ago about porting it, but then they got busy with T20 I guess.
Let me add my own welcome back, there's a lot of good reading here if you have the time, and some great links on the T20 homepage http://www.TravellerRPG.com/

"The sleeper has awakened"

Yahoo Groups has a few play by e-mail sites for various incarnations of Traveller; Steve Jackson Games has a Traveller site and an on-line 'publication', the Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society (JTAS), which costs a nominal $15US for two years (I think). Welcome back!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Can someone tell me what has happened with Traveller since... oh... 1981 or so.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might be obvious by now if you've found this site, but nobody mentioned the Classic Traveller reprints! Marc Miller is reprinting the entire line of GDW Traveller material...and a few other publishers' products are scheduled as well.

Everybody on the board is anxiously awaiting the imminent (one hopes) release of the first JTAS reprint volume.

If you're like me, there was a lot of Traveller stuff that you "forgot" to purchase the first time around...so check out the reprints!

-FCS

The first JTAS reprint volume, in my estimation, contains some of the best source material for CT ever.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I reread my fist couple books last night, alot of old memories in there as I remembered past adventures and old characters. Very strange.

My son has been begging me to play with him now, very bizarre.

Anyhow, I am going to read through these hundreds of posts and see what I am missing!

Thanks,
Derek...

Just noticed that all of the responses so far have focused on the Big Picture (i.e. editions, publishers), but for a real history of Traveller since 1981 some more detail might be helpful:

The Late CT Period (1982-86)

GDW eventually published Book 6: Scouts(1983) and Book 7: Merchant Prince(1985), in the manner of Books 4 & 5, superceding the Paranoia Press supplements and providing more detailed processes for World Creation and Trade & Commerce.

The Traveller Book -- a hardbound volume containing Books 1-3, advice from Book 0, background on the Imperium, several sample adventures, and lots of artwork, published in 1982 as a new 'starting point' for Traveller players. Essentially the same content formatted as a boxed set was published as Starter Traveller in 1983. The Traveller Adventure(1983), published as a companion to The Traveller Book, was a detailed campaign set in Aramis subsector of the Spinward Marches with an involved plot of megacorporate malfeasance, stolen meson guns, vargr corsairs, and a group of PCs caught in the middle. At 144pp, this was by far the most elaborate Traveller adventure published to date.

The Fifth Frontier War continued in real-time via TNS Entries in JTAS and ended in 1110 (1984) with a return to antebellum status quo, except that the Sword Worlds were broken in half -- the trailing portion becoming the Imperium-sponsored Border Worlds. The FFW was wrapped up with detailed histories, engagement maps, and personalities in Spinward Marches Campaign(1985).

Notable late-period Adventures -- Adventure 12: Secret of the Ancients(1984), a dramatically inert scenario that revealed Yaskoydray (aka Grandfather) -- the super-genius Droyne who was (literally) the Father of the Ancients and still lives in his own Pocket Universe; and Adventure 13: Signal GK(1985), which introduced an intelligent silicon-based lifeform later used as the basis for TNE's Virus.

Atlas of the Imperium(1984) -- mapped out the entire Imperium (35 sectors in all) but only gave names to the HiPop worlds. While of questionable value to the average Traveller gamer, this was manna from heaven to all the number-crunchers and obsessives.

The Alien Modules -- beginning in 1984 GDW produced a series of 32-48pp modules describing each of the Major Races in detail (including history, culture, special rules, and a short adventure). There were eventually 8 of these: Aslan, K'kree, Vargr, Zhodani, Droyne, Solomani, Hivers, and Darrians.

Challenge magazine -- after GDW published Twilight: 2000 (post-apocalyptic WWIII rpg) in 1985, JTAS was restructured into Challenge, incorporating T2K material and, eventually, material for any and all other SF rpgs. In early issues the Traveller content was separated into a 'JTAS section,' but before too long was integrated into the body of the magazine.

Digest Group Publications -- after all the other licensees had either folded or stopped producing Traveller products, these folks began producing their fanzine The Travellers' Digest in 1985. The premise was a group of 4 characters traveling across the entire Imperium over 21 issues, with each issue including an adventure, info about the area they were in (maps, world descriptions, library data, etc.), and related rules bits. In addition to providing a wealth of material to fill in some of the blanks in AotI, DGP also developed an expanded set of robots rules (later published by GDW as Book 8: Robots (1986)) and developed the codified Universal Task Profile which became the fundamental building block for the MegaTraveller system revision (which was edited and coordinated by DGP).

Traveller: 2300 (1986) -- a separate game, set in a separate milieu (a continuation of the Twilight: 2000 storyline), focusing more on 'hard sf' (including a 3D starmap based on actual data), notable to the history of Traveller because 1) it's name led people to think they were connected (GDW later re-released it as 2300AD), 2) many of the rules and assumptions are still pretty compatible (i.e. no FTL communication, importance of trade, char-gen by cycling through a career, etc.), and 3) it diverted a lot of GDW's resources and creative talent away from 'old' Traveller, which was handed over in everything but name to the crew at DGP.

I had initially planned to continue this history through MT, TNE, T4, all the way to the present, but it's already gotten too long. Maybe later...

[edited to add a couple more things]

[This message has been edited by T. Foster (edited 05 April 2002).]

I agree, I am learning alot. I reread my books already (The black box), what about MegaTraveller? What about this D20 system I have been seeing...

What should someone like me do!
smile.gif

Derek...

History of Traveller, cont'd.

The MegaTraveller Period (1987-92)

MegaTraveller -- the first major revision of the Traveller system in its ten year history, MegaTraveller was distinct from the decade of development which had preceded it in 3 (really 4) ways:
  1. <LI>cohesion: MT combined all of Traveller's rule developments into one location -- rules from all of the books, games, supplements, adventures, JTAS and TD articles were combined into a single, coherent whole. On the plus side, this made keeping track of all the various rules easier and more convenient, but on the minus side, it made the system much more complex, as in all cases MT prefered complex supplementary systems to their simpler Book 1-3 precursors. <LI>Task System: The UTP which DGP had developed in The Travellers' Digest (and which had also appeared, in an earlier version, in Traveller: 2300) was fully integrated into the rules. In place of CT's ad-hoc system of determining rolls, the UTP provided a single systematic procedue that could be used for virtually any in-game activity. On the plus side this made GMing much easier; on the minus, it steepend the learning curve as you had to learn the UTP format before being able to do anything else in the game. <LI>The Rebellion: MT distinguished its setting from the standard Imperium of CT by creating the Rebellion -- the Emperor is assassinated by one of the High Nobles, causing a Civil War between numerous rival claimants to the throne and incursions from the newly-emboldened enemies of the Imperium. The intention was to add a new level of drama and excitement to the occasionally staid and static Imperium setting, as well as bringing the wealth of historical and background development more into the forefront of the game. On the minus side, the factions were so evenly matched that it was obvious no faction could ever win, and the entire setting devolved into a giant-scale neverending wargame exercise. <LI>Errata: alas, the MT rules were also terribly edited, with mangled formats, occasional crucial tables and/or blocks of text completely missing, as well as lack of clear examples and generally poor organization that made making sense of the rules a daunting chore for anyone not already familiar with its CT antecedents.
For other impressions of MT (especially as compared to CT) see also here and here.

HIWG (The History of the Imperium Working Group) -- a fan organization formed around the release of MT, dedicated to detailing the history and culture of the Imperium (and, eventually, the Traveller Universe as a whole). Although massive amounts of material was generated by various HIWG members and sub-groups, lack of organization and political infighting (some of which is alluded to here) kept them from ever truly achieving most of their goals. (Note: the HIWG still has a website www.downport.com/hiwg/ and may even still be active; also note that I was never an HIWG member, and the above is all second hand at best).

GDW MT support -- a history neglect; from 1988-1991 GDW only produced 1-2 MT products a year, and some of those were of dubious quality (particularly Fighting Ships of the Shattered Imperium (1990), a collection of nothing but gigantic warship stats, most/all of which were significantly broken under the MT craft design rules). GDW at the time were largely preoccupied with their various other product lines, and had made the conscious decision to leave Traveller largely in the hands of DGP.

DGP MT support -- Luckily, DGP were largely able to make up for GDW's slack. In addition to coverage in The Travellers' Digest (which, upon the release of MT, expanded its focus to also include MT adventures, background, rules additions, and tips), DGP also produced several major MT supplements, including Starship Operator's Manual, vol. 1 (1988) which offered detailed pseudo-scientific explanations on how the various starship systems actually work, World Builder's Handbook (1989), a revision of their CT supplements Grand Survey and Grand Census including greatly enhanced details for world design, and the MegaTraveller Alien series (Vilani & Vargr (1990), and Solomani & Aslan (1991)) which revised and greatly expanded upon the material in the original CT alien modules. In fact, some claim that DGP gave too much information, allowing quantity to outstrip quality in an attempt to detail everything about the Official Traveller Universe.

Hard Times (1991) -- this GDW supplement marked a distinct shift in the tone and focus of the MT line, moving the timeline forward several years (from 1120 to 1125-8) to a point where the Rebellion had stagnated and large portions of the Imperium were beginning a slide into isolation and barbarism, with the PCs in the Dominic Flandry-esque role of lighting a candle against the impending darkness.

Arrival Vengeance (1992) -- written by David Nilsen, GDW's new Traveller line editor, this was their farewell to the MT era, an adventure in which the PCs travel to meet most of the major factional leaders and learn that the Imperium is truly gone forever. The emphasis on dramatic storytelling and characters was largely new to Traveller, and would be further emphasized in the TNE line, which Dave Nilsen was the guiding force behind (Marc Miller, Traveller's original designer, at some point (and for reasons I don't know) having stepped aside to no longer be actively involved in Traveller).

The End of DGP -- By the time Hard Times was released, DGP had stepped back from their position as the guiding force of Traveller. The MegaTraveller Journal (their new magazine, launched in 1990 after TD finished its 21-issue tour) shifted from being a quarterly magazine to an annual supplement, they were no longer detailing or developing the Rebellion as a whole, and had announced that they were working on a new, non-Traveller rpg system called A.I. (not technology and magic, but technology AS magic!). MTJ #4 (1993) was their final Traveller product, consisting of Lords of Thunder by William H. Keith, a full-length campaign equal in scale and quality to The Traveller Adventure, and a collection of internal DGP memos describing various Traveller plots and projects that never made it into print (most notably (and controversially) a large scale meta-storyline about the 'Baddies from the Core,' a race of super-psionic space-snails who were scheduled to invade Charted Space and raise tremendous havoc (possibly helping to bring the Rebellion to an end)).

Alas, A.I. was never published, and MTJ4 was DGP's swansong. A man named Roger Sanger eventually acquired the DGP copyrights and became involved in a longstanding disagreement with Marc Miller the result of which is that DGP's Traveller products remain permanently out-of-print (and much sought-after on ebay), and are considered 'forbidden canon' to those developing new Traveller material -- they are not allowed to reference or borrow from DGP materials in any way (disclaimer: this is also all second or third hand; I've never personally spoken with Marc Miller or Roger Sanger about any of this).

(Note: I'm trying to remain neutral and unbiased here, but if anyone wants to dispute anything, please feel free)

Yes, one little quibble about DGP, actually a good thing: MTJ3 and MTJ4 were published with GDW copyright only and seem to belong to Marc Miller / FFE.

Oh, and Seeker has reimerged and may republish... and a buried load of FASA books turned up and are being sold off by Sovereign Games... and did you mention the Judges Guild stuff? Oh, my.
smile.gif

------------------
Visit the TAS-Net Discussion Boards

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T. Foster:
Alas, A.I. was never published, and MTJ4 was DGP's swansong. A man named Roger Sanger eventually acquired the DGP copyrights and became involved in a longstanding disagreement with Marc Miller the result of which is that DGP's Traveller products remain permanently out-of-print (and much sought-after on ebay), and are considered 'forbidden canon' to those developing new Traveller material -- they are not allowed to reference or borrow from DGP materials in any way (disclaimer: this is also all second or third hand; I've never personally spoken with Marc Miller or Roger Sanger about any of this).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roger has given Marc permission to refer to past DGP works in new publications, but Marc has not ventured into it and has specifically denied permission in at least one case, SJG. I guess that winds up being the same thing, though, eh?

------------------
Visit the TAS-Net Discussion Boards

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Swordy:
Yes, one little quibble about DGP, actually a good thing: MTJ3 and MTJ4 were published with GDW copyright only and seem to belong to Marc Miller / FFE.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are and they do. One of the reasons we are mentioning some of the material from MTJ4 (Lords of Thunder specifically) in our T20 material.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
Oh, and Seeker has reimerged and may republish... and a buried load of FASA books turned up and are being sold off by Sovereign Games... and did you mention the Judges Guild stuff? Oh, my.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just as a side note, the rights and trademarks to JG Traveller stuff (and Traveller only) now belong to QuikLink (me).

Hunter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Swordy:
Roger has given Marc permission to refer to past DGP works in new publications, but Marc has not ventured into it and has specifically denied permission in at least one case, SJG. I guess that winds up being the same thing, though, eh?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make that two cases...We aren't to touch anything done by DGP unless it has the GDW copyright on it or has been specifically approved by Marc.

Hunter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hunter:
Make that two cases...We aren't to touch anything done by DGP unless it has the GDW copyright on it or has been specifically approved by Marc.

Hunter
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about the DGP task system? It was in MegaTraveller, which was published by GDW, so I suppose it´s clear, right?
I really like the UTP system for non-combat task resolution and I was asking myself if it could be published, perhaps on a website, as a companion to the reprinted CT rules.

Tobias

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aiasinc:
I agree, I am learning alot. I reread my books already (The black box), what about MegaTraveller? What about this D20 system I have been seeing...

What should someone like me do!
smile.gif

Derek...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having play tested T20 (the D20 Traveller) I can tell you the ship design is very much like High Guard. Character generation includes experience points to create a character. Experience points are also used to improve a character as in the D20 system. Combat is a bit different than the Classic Traveller system. The trade and commerce system works well.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tobias:
What about the DGP task system? It was in MegaTraveller, which was published by GDW, so I suppose it´s clear, right?
I really like the UTP system for non-combat task resolution and I was asking myself if it could be published, perhaps on a website, as a companion to the reprinted CT rules.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My understanding is that anything that was published with a GDW copyright is fine, including Book 8, the MT rules, Knightfall, and MTJ 3 & 4. Replacing the DGP/MT task system with the (IMO vastly inferior) T4 version seems to have been motivated by Marc Miller's personal preference, not copyright/IP concerns.

Back