• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Best core book?

The character creation rules and experience point chart are the only things you should need from one of the "core books" (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have the T20 book yet). They're the same in all the books, so just get the one that you're most interested in playing when taking a break from T20.

IMO d20 Modern is the best for clearly worded d20 rules. It also has some neat feats and such things as the Wealth Check. I do not have either edition of the d20 Star Wars core book though some prefer it since it is science fiction and uses something similar to Stamina/Lifeblood in T20. Eventually there will be a d20 Future supplement for d20 Modern.

Spycraft requires a core book from WotC since it is not an OGL game and is not by WotC. (i.e. it's a d20 game)

Call of Cthulhu d20 is worth the purchase for the excellent look of the book and John Tynes' campaign information alone. The chance to throw Mythos creatures into your Traveller game is an extra bonus! :cool:

Casey

Gotta second what Casey sez. D20 Modern is my favorite of the d20 Core books due in no small part to the Wealth system. I wish that T20 had incorporated it, although it would be easy to port over.

Got to go with D20 Modern. The mindset is closest to Traveller, and there is even a mini-campaign setting with Psi powers and another with genetically modified races. The wealth system simply rocks, from a GM point of view. Translating prices from T20 is pretty simple, especially if you use the chart in the GM section of the book. Which is another reason I recommend the D20Modern book as your core book, there is no need to purchase more than one book. Some of the magic items could be translated into ‘high-tech’ items with little work, especially if following Arthur Clark’s dictum. There are good notes on how to run a modern, high-tech campaign, along with how to address the ubiquity of information available to those of us enjoying the 21st century. Rules for fire and radiation damage certainly are in line with T20 needs. I would even consider allowing people to port D20Modern characters over to T20, but you need to proceed with caution. The T/Skills of Traveller are much more finicky and precise than the D20 Modern Craft (Electronic), Craft (Mechanical), Repair, and Disable Device. If you want to make your T20 game a bit more streamlined, I would recommend using the D20Modern skills list, but tread with caution…
If you link to my posting here you can read my thoughts on wealth points for T20.
D20 Wealth

Having had a quick look through d20 Modern it certainly seems much clearer that the PHB. The d20 rules are not complictaed, but I found the bad layout of the 3e PHB had me scratching my head a bit.

Originally posted by Casey:
... d20 Star Wars core book though some prefer it since it is science fiction and uses something similar to Stamina/Lifeblood in T20...
My vote is for Revised Star Wars d20 for the above reasons.
Plus some good accessories like:
Arms and Equipment Guide (has grav vehicles and droids)
Ultimate Alien Anthology (has 180 alien races)

My .02 crs.

I will second the Star Wars revised core book. While I'm not a fan of gaming in the setting I do think the editing and layout of the book is excellent.

Very well done.

Hello Just Point and Shoot,

Just a minor point about the OTU is that robots/droids are not a major component for the setting. Other than that I could vote for either d20 Modern or the revised d20 Starwars.

Originally posted by Just Point and Shoot:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Casey:
... d20 Star Wars core book though some prefer it since it is science fiction and uses something similar to Stamina/Lifeblood in T20...
My vote is for Revised Star Wars d20 for the above reasons.
Plus some good accessories like:
Arms and Equipment Guide (has grav vehicles and droids)
Ultimate Alien Anthology (has 180 alien races)

My .02 crs.
</font>[/QUOTE]

Hey All!

I have to say that I don't think you NEED a core rule book for T20. The Experience Point chart is on page 35 and I don't think there's anything else that really is neccessary from another book. Maybe I've just played too much d20 and I know the rules well enough. I did find character creation a bit fuzzy, so maybe there is something missing. I do seem to remember Hunter saying that we wouldn't need another book, tho. If I had to pick, I'd go with Star Wars Revised. Actually, I ran an arena game that had characters from Star Wars, Traveller, and D&D in them. They cross over pretty well - all except hit points in D&D - had to fudge that. So go with the Star Wars if you feel you need one. Seems best to me.

Later,

Scout

'yo folks...
just to let you know, I got the /D20 modern book (had a 25% discount due to the holiday and getting the flgs's news letter email..) and I do have to say...not bad, not bad at all...

Easier read and better layout than my 3e books and its not divided through three books !!

the wealth system looks interesting, at first glance.

did someone say something about the skill system differences?

although, it does seem to convey an anime(ish) feel, which is fine, being an anime fan, I don't mind...

Originally posted by ScoutCadet469:
Hey All!

I have to say that I don't think you NEED a core rule book for T20.
Later,

Scout
The multi class rules from 3e are fairly essential reading as this is a central theme for many T20 characters.

Sorry, my bad - it says right on page 14 of T20 that you NEED a core rule book for character creation and the effects of experience.

Later,

Scout

Back