• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Atmospheric Speeds Clarification

snrdg082102

SOC-14 1K
Hello all,

I am making sure that I have a clear understanding of how the text on p261 determines the atmospheric speeds. So here goes what I think the text means:

Unstreamlined (Dispersed & Planetoid Hulls) Limited to Vacuum and Trace atmospheres and travel at a maximum of 6-Gs.

Partial Streamlining (Cylinder, Close, & Sphere)
Limited to 1-G for atmospheres from very thin to very dense. In vacuum and trace limited a maximum of 6-Gs.

Full (Needle/Wedge, Cone, & Flattened Sphere)
Limited to 2-Gs for atmospheres from Trace to very dense, with vacuum allowing for a maximum of 6-Gs.

Airframe (any hulls with the exception of a dispersed hull can be upgraded to Airframe). Speed is limited to the Maximum manuever drive capability which is 6-Gs.

The above is subject to modification by the Atmospheric Denisty table on p261.

Does what I have described above ring true?

As you would say...

"Hello Thomas Rux" :D

That seems to be the same interpretation I made of those rules. What amazes me is the incredibly slow seeming speeds for many of the grav vehicles. An air/raft going 120 kph maximum seems pretty wimpy. Wouldn't make a very good long distance travel vehicle at all.

<shrug> I'll have to look at general speeds of those types of vehicles in the GURPS version of Traveller.

Originally posted by apoc527:
As you would say...

"Hello Thomas Rux" :D

That seems to be the same interpretation I made of those rules. What amazes me is the incredibly slow seeming speeds for many of the grav vehicles. An air/raft going 120 kph maximum seems pretty wimpy. Wouldn't make a very good long distance travel vehicle at all.

<shrug> I'll have to look at general speeds of those types of vehicles in the GURPS version of Traveller.
Lo apoc527,

Thanks for the feedback, I made a reply yesterday that failed to go through. During the time the reply was uploading I got the general HTTP error message about a server problem. If you haven't already looked this up:

Air/Raft 5.1 G:T tons or 4.63 mtons max airspeed is 160 mph or 257.5 kph (G:T p147).

I have designed a 660 G:T ton or 598.74 mtons starship with a lifting body hull with very good streamlining an airspeed of 3,281 mph or 5,280 kph. The T20 hull indicates that the max cone airframe hull configuration has a max speed of 5,300 kph.

i noticed something with the atmosphere rules, i can't reproduce any of the small craft stats with the design system... a SDB goes orders of magnitude faster then a space fighter, and most of the other ships have the same speed in atmsphere reguardless of their acc. (the ones with 1 and 2gs of acc). is there another table somewhere in the book that labels the speeds for non airframe hulls (no small craft equates to the speeds detailed in the table they were made from).

thanks

Back