• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Armor Class

Ishtar

SOC-7
How do you handle armor class for something that doesn't have a dexterity score (like a plant)? I can't figure out whether you put a negative modifier with the base 10+AR. Or would the AC just be equal to the AR?
--Courtney

I'd simply apply a 'bad-luck check', basically if the roll isn't a 1, you can successfully hit the big, immobile planet. On a 1, the gun jammed.

An inanimate, immobile object has an AC of 5 without armour (10 base minus 5 for no dexterity).

Shane
So the armor class for a nail you are about to drive into a wooden board with a hammer is 5? That means with every 4th swing of the hammer, a 1st level character with no dexterity bonuses may strike his thumb instead.
file_21.gif

Originally posted by Tom Kalbfus:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> An inanimate, immobile object has an AC of 5 without armour (10 base minus 5 for no dexterity).

Shane
So the armor class for a nail you are about to drive into a wooden board with a hammer is 5? That means with every 4th swing of the hammer, a 1st level character with no dexterity bonuses may strike his thumb instead.
file_21.gif
</font>[/QUOTE]It gets worse
file_22.gif
You forgot the size modifier, a nail would be 'Fine' for a +8 for a modified AC of 13
file_23.gif
Of course you also get a +4 to hit an inanimate, immobile object so its just a little less than half the time that you see a rookie hit his thumb ;) Take it from a moderate level 'Carpenter' with above average dexterity and weapon specialization 'Framing Hammer' who's seen amatures in action that this often seems about right
file_21.gif

Of course the thing for the home handyperson to do is use a full-round action to line up the swing which allows an automatic hit*

* For melee weapons, ranged weapons gain a +5 to hit instead, and objects are immune to criticals btw

This assumes that the character is attempting to hammer the nail in while in the midst of combat, with guns blazing about them and perhaps at them, and rough guys with nasty looking chains and pipes are swinging at him and his comrades while he desperately tries to nail that board down...

Outside of combat, the nail is helpless and probably considered an automatic hit... ;)

Two more Credits for ya,
Flynn

Originally posted by Sandman:
What are the ranges bands for the Nail Guns?

Can it be set on FULL Auto?

:D
;) Sorry to disappoint you but unless your nailgun is defective or altered its a contact melee weapon only. There is a safety on the end so it only fires when it is pressed against the board you're nailing (or your foot if you drop it, never happened to me but I can see it happening).

Now if for some reason your's is one of the ranged types mentioned above I'd say the range is 1.5m. Damage is 1 point, it has recoil, full auto conversion is possible. Magazine and gun costs and weights vary depending on model and power source (caps, compressor, or electric).

Where is this thread going now anyway
file_28.gif
:rolleyes:
file_22.gif
file_21.gif

This whole line of discussion about armor class had me scratching my head in amazement. At least, I tried to scratch my head in amazement, but I missed (rolled a 4).

It shlud be veru cleat. We;re discyssinh the vagatied of the 'to hir roll'

(Sorry, I kept missing the right keys, I took 20 on this line though)

To answer the question, well sort of answer it, if the said plant has no dexterity then I'd start it off at a base AC of 10.

There are alot of combat/to-hit modifiers that would make it tougher/easier to hit it. Size, mobility, etc. It easier to hit a tree than a daisy, especially those mutant man-eating daisies.

Will look into my rules for attacking inanimate objects.

I pulled the safety back on a small nailgun and fired a nail at a wall that was at least 1.5 m away. The nail bounced around in the closet (yes, I know, next time I won't test fire the nail gun in a closet) and stuck in a wall. The range was probably pretty good, considering, but the damage is negligible as the nail really isn't moving that fast.

Nailguns are designed to drive the nail into the wood using the hammer. They are not designed to propel the nail at a high velocity.

I'll have to set up a range and some cans and do some more testing, though...

Bolie IV

Back