• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Archduke Norris - Domain of Deneb

s-feige

SOC-9
Hello, fellow Travellers!

I've got a question regarding a certain historical event, the date, when Duke Norris of Regina became Archduke of the (then new formed) Domain of Deneb. I'm aware that there might be more than one answer, given the multiple Traveller Timelines.

I've done some research on the web and in my own supply of Traveller-rulebooks (mainly MT) and so far I've found 3 different dates :

1114, according to the MT-Player's-Guide,
1116, according to a web-source (probably T4?),
1117, according to a web-source (timeline???).

I would be happy if you could help me here and give me some information on the 'date(s) of occurance' together with the Timeline/Traveller Variant you're refering to.

Point is, I'm ReDesigning MTU, but always like to match at least one of the 'official' versions - one or another

Thank you here,
have a nice day,
Aldan Romar

I think that Duke Norris got advanced word of Strephon's assassination around 320-1116, used his Imperial Stationary to make himself Archduke, and announced his appointment just ahead of the official news of the assassination, which reached the Marches around 050-1117.

So there are probably two official dates around in the MegaTraveller-->Traveller TNE timeline.

In GURPS, Duke Norris is made Archduke along with Dulinor's daughter, who was elevated after the death of Dulinor.

Survival Margin lists 340-1116 as announced date of Archduke Norris Aledon's ascension in rank.(page10).And in aside from Journal(same page 339-1116, knew Strephon was dead, and had made the document the day before announcement).

MT book,"Rebellion sourcebook" shows a J-4/ J-6 chart on page 9, and Chapter5/"ripples through the Imperium. cover the info flow.

By use of this, at 328-1116 Norris got word of the assassination. By 060-1117, everyne in the marches got the information.

heretical-scholarly your,

Okay, further searching thru MT one...

sidebar box, Rebellion Timeline...

1116: Norris announces his promotion to Archduke received from Strephon. No exact date listed, but it is listed after Dulinor has returned to Dlan and announced his claim to the throne.

So, it appears Strephon made the promotion in late 1114, but Norris did not receive it until early-mid 1116.

Originally posted by Rodina:
I think that Duke Norris got advanced word of Strephon's assassination around 320-1116, used his Imperial Stationary to make himself Archduke, and announced his appointment just ahead of the official news of the assassination, which reached the Marches around 050-1117.
Though note that you're going to be hard pressed to make that date work if you sit down and try to figure out the actual communication time. Using jump-6 couriers a route that includes the occasional 5-parsec jump to ensure that it hits all intervening sector capitals will require 35 jumps to get to Regina. I haven't worked it out, but I don't think even the most direct route from Capital to Regina is capable of getting the news there that fast. If you're redoing your own TU you may want to take that into account.
I'm also pretty sure that jump-4 won' get the news to Mora by 050-1117, but again I haven't actually worked it out (IMTU the major spokes of the X-boat network uses jump-6 X-boats[*]).
[*] And I don't use the Rebellion either ;) .

Hans

Well,

so this is how it will do IMTU :

-> The decision to make Norris Archduke was taken back in 1114.
-> Due to (willing?) delay the message will reach Norris in late-1116 together with the message of Strephon's death.
-> To avoid complications he will pre-anounce his elevation.
-> In early-1117, the message of Strephon's death will publicly hit the Marches.

My PCs are planned into a plot recovering the late-1116 Courier-Ship, so they will be among the first to learn of Strephon's death. I'm excited of how they'll react...

Thank you all for your assistance,
have a nice day,
Aldan Romar

Back