• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Any Vilani dictionaries?

Maladominus

SOC-14 1K
Hi all

I was wondering if there is any free online source of Vilani words.

I bet the only "official" source of Vilani vocabulary would be the now out-of-print Vilani and Vargr (from MegaTraveller), which is probably impossible for me to obtain any more.

Barring that.... please point me to any known website that spells out some common Vilani words. My players are 100% into roleplaying and immersion, and in order for them one of them to roleplay a Vilani noble properly.... well, it helps to know some Vilani words, eh?

thanks in advance

P.S. --- I'm aware of a website that randomly creates Vilani words and names. Umm, thats a word randomizer. What I'm looking for is a more canonical dictionary of words.

Maraanash,

Oh, someone's looking for information on the Vilani language? A lexicon?

Yes, I can help.

Here's the link to the grammar devised (mostly) by the Traveller Language Development List in 1998.

http://eaglestone.pocketempires.com/lang/vilani/Vilani_Grammar.html

The page also has links to the expanded lexicon (close to 6000 words), various scripts, a short primer, and a first grade reader (featuring Ditzie).

A year ago I was resonably familiar with the language. So if anyone in your team has grammar or lexicon questions -- or suggestions -- feel free to ask here.

I'd also love to know how they react to the material, and how they use it.

Shalena in bagaan,

Robert

Maraanash,

Oh, someone's looking for information on the Vilani language? A lexicon?

Yes, I can help.

Here's the link to the grammar devised (mostly) by the Traveller Language Development List in 1998.

http://eaglestone.pocketempires.com/lang/vilani/Vilani_Grammar.html

The page also has links to the expanded lexicon (close to 6000 words), various scripts, a short primer, and a first grade reader (featuring Ditzie).

A year ago I was resonably familiar with the language. So if anyone in your team has grammar or lexicon questions -- or suggestions -- feel free to ask here.

I'd also love to know how they react to the material, and how they use it.

Shalena in bagaan,

Robert
Robject, any updates to the Vilani lexicon URL? Your old blog address is now out of date. Very interested in more Vilani! Thanks!

Not having any knowledge of Vilani, exactly what does this mean?

based on context I would have thought you are welcome, but following the link and using the dictionary it means okay, right, basically an affirmation depending on how it is used. So the contextual guess was close but incorrect.

and now to use that dictionary on my character cards I think - I was just using English in a Bilidani font, but this ups the level (too bad I'll be the only one who really cares but hey, these are the things that I enjoy doing!)

Back