• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Any Striker gamers?

Gatsby

SOC-12
There was a discussion about striker vehicles...I think the Striker system is great, with very little effort to use in CT (it is even detailed in the Striker Book 2 rules). The only problem that Striker had, was support - i.e. no modules, vehicles, guns, spreadsheets, etc. Another problem was small action combat, as Striker was based on larger scales, though the Striker rules suggest the Azhanti High Lightning system for up close work, as the two systems were VERY compatible.

I am working on some spreadsheets ( I am not that good at it, and it is...comprehensive ) so one can easily design weapons, vehicles, etc for Striker. Any help would be appreciated.

I am also coming up with a list of Starship rules for Striker. The ACTUAL rules are already in the Striker game, just someone needs to apply them to starships. ( You need to do the lasers, missles, etc....use the indirect fire rules for distances greater then a Km, etc.) Again, any help would be appreciated.

Also, am waiting desperately for the Azhanti combat rules, as mine have been lost for some time in the folds of time. I am SO happy that FFE5 will be the Games......

SO: any Striker stuff out there??????

Gatsby

You don't know how many times I had wished that there was some way to translate DGP's 101 Vehicles into Striker terms cleanly.

Things seem really close between Striker and MT but they just don't quite match. If someone had a set of conversions for 101 to striker, that would go a long way.

------------------
Dave "Dr. Skull" Nelson

Yeah...that's me...staring at the 101 book and sighing..... maybe a conversion thing would work best...will look it over...another foray.

Gats'

I have owned Striker for 20 years now and have yet to play. Early on it was because I didn't have anyone to play against. Since then it's been due to spending time on other games.

What I would like to see is a resource site for Striker. Specifically, I want to have access to some pregenerated scenarios so that I can play and teach others to play. Also, I would like to have lists of available equipment, pregenerated squads for easy troop assembly, etc. and guidelines on how to build a good scenario.

I am slowly working on putting a scenario together. The premise is that a starship piloted by a group of Vargr renegades has been shot down over some planet. The Vargr escaped in a ship's boat and landed in a widerness region about 50 km from a minor settlement. A strike team has been sent out to capture them. I still need to work out more details and am open to suggestions from you experienced players out there.

My proposition to all the Striker players out there is that we jointly set up the above mentioned resources site. I have the site space available and the skills to build it. I'm sure we could get space on www.downport.com if that is prefered. What I would like is people to compile items for the site (scenarios, equipment, what have you).

Any takers?

------------------
Red 24
Visit Red 24's Star Wars Gaming page at:
http://www.pacificcoast.net/~woodland

Let's....if you could set-up an E-group? (I have never had luck with that type of thing...always mess it up.)

<snip>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gatsby:
SO: any Striker stuff out there??????

Gatsby
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a booklet put out by 'The Adjutant'
that has wheeled combat vehicles for striker.
on the back page inside they list 9 other booklets planned for the series. I don't know whether any of them were actually produced or not.

Hope this helps

David Shayne

I have the three Striker books and the design charts, but have lost the game charts. Can't wait for the Game Reprints to come out so I can have them again!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaveShayne:
<snip>

I have a booklet put out by 'The Adjutant'
that has wheeled combat vehicles for striker.
on the back page inside they list 9 other booklets planned for the series. I don't know whether any of them were actually produced or not.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have 8 of the 10 books produced by the Adjutant. They are LBB sized books with paper covers, each a different color. They are reasonbly good books, with a consistent set of vehicles of all types, and one book of infantry weapons and armor. The books cover TLs between 9 and 13/14 for the Striker rules. Each book covers a different type of vehicle (ACVs, Wheeled, Grav, Tracked, Aerospace, Uniques)
There are a few thinkos in the introductions (ACV can't cross deep water?). The art is all computer line art, generally of one or two pictures modified slighly for each vehicle. But there is art, and it is good to see the designs as well as read about them.
If you are interested in Striker, I strongly recommend them, if you can find them.

When I get anything ON the site of any use, I'll notify FFE, as by copyright. Right now, it is just a preveiw....

Well I like the layout. Now we just need some content. I'm sorry that I don't have anything to contribute yet, but as mentioned above, I've owned the game for a long time, but am just learning it.

------------------
Red 24
Visit Red 24's Star Wars Gaming page at:
http://www.pacificcoast.net/~woodland

Neat look...

BTW - On the staff page the link to your home site didn't work (had to copy/paste).

And what is 'Starfleet Command'?

Yeah, the site is just a pre-veiw to see what interest there was. If no-one really goes in for it, I'll take it down and work on it myself, slowly. If there is reasonable response/submissions, I'll gather a team.

As for Starfleet Command, it is a STAR TREK computer starship combat game (with the concepts of a naval engagement) by Interplay/Taldren, and is based on the old 'Star Fleet Battles' pen and paper wargame by ADB. It is in several version of SFC1 and SFC2, with improvements. A while back a great guy named Brad Barr found a way to make Models for the game and others found ways to hack the ship statistics. It can be used for Traveller style combat with heavy modifications of the SFC files ( something I may work on in my spare time - wait! WHAT spare time?) But it DOES look great....

Gats'

If there is reasonable response/submissions, I'll gather a team.
Gats'
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure about response - my feeling is that you are targeting a limited genre of a limited audience. The best thing would probably see if Traveller Downport can host the site - no cost/no banners and a good base for targeting the audience!

I'm game for adding REGULAR content - if you are! I like to commit to a one update/week schedule - baby steps and easily met goal and with 2 or more people provides frequent enough updates for the average surfer to maintain interest.

I think the best arrangement is to take the front screen and put multiple frames (one for each of us) to place update notices. Then we each upload seperate pages and share the common frame menu when needed. This way we aren't stepping on each others toes, nor is one of us totally responsible for uploading content or crashing the site. We can even post our comments to one another on the site in seperate nor referenced pages (assuming the FTP works good) instead of email.

Game?

...Before we subdivide into twain the virtual pages, let's see if any others are willing to help on a continual, albeit easy-on-one's-time, basis......

...or, if one's submission/notes/etc are kept on a good level, I can just get E-mails and update attachments into the site myself. Send anything you got at the moment...

...I never 'ran' a mixed team site before - it's a learning thing (but, I am a fast learner). I don't know about getting 'hosted' - the procedures, who to contact, etc. But, I'll look into it.

...like a military action, I beleive in clear function: provide Striker source materials. It may be a limited audience, but we know what we are doing, content-wise, and it is a necassary thing. It's not like there is any other site for Striker resources.

...additionally, we can work on things like Striker-by-Email (easily done, by the way!), Navy elements/design, and (my personal favorite) Striker and Azhanti High Lightning combination. There are a lot of sub-topics within Striker to keep us interested and writing web-pages for a bit.

...as to small audience: most CT gamers got most of the RPG based material (the LBBs).
...A smaller percentage bought the RPG-like games (Snapshot, Azhanti High Lightning, Snapshot, Mayday) as they had a direct effect on the play of the RPG.
...but they didn't ALL go for the games (Imperium, Fifth Frontier War, Striker). A lot of players never knew they existed.
...But with the Resurgence (dare I say that?), the war-games are integrally COMBINED with the RPG games, and we MIGHT see more people catching on to Striker (the odds are good).

...But that leaves them, again, with the same lack of resources all us 'old-timers' experienced - which hurt Striker, inevitably. Which brings us back to purpose and hosting....

Thanks for the help. We'll keep in touch here, on this board, for the moment, until I can cobble together an E-group...

Gats'

Okay - to get 'hosted' (geocities is hosting you now) see the msg @ bottom of the Traveller Downport site

'Do you have a Traveller web site? Ask about free, no-hassle, no banner hosting here on our dedicated Traveller server. ...'

Email to ct@downport.com (I think Ronnie Brown?)

If you get no response I'll try (just want to make sure you really want to do this!).

From my experience (corp intranets) with team sites:
1) Having only one person posting leads to problems - its like leaving voice mail - there is ALLWAYS a phone tag going on because posting is never the central person's sole job! (Its also nice for all members to be able to post content and instantly see it!)
In situations where quality and content are a concern one person/group should be responsible - in this senario mutual trust is a given
wink.gif

You've allready set the style - we should use an HTML template to maintain consistency and agree on graphic content (size/ antialias/ background/ trans) and fonts.

2) EMail - not good - I get enough allready and maintaining seperate accounts just is a hassle (I know, I still do it) - its easier to just go to a site (like this forum). How about a forum - Yahoo Clubs are free and easy to setup - we can use an unlisted club and if you want it can still send new posts to your email (personalize!). They're usually ready 1-2 days...
This will work better than E-Groups for playing as everbody actually gets the messages (E-Mails can individually fail and tracking is a pain - still usefull for 'secret' dialogs)
I'll take care of this if you want - let me know!

I love designing weapons, vehicles, etc.. and this seems a good forum - from what I remember of STIKER, unfortunately I have no STRIKER stuffs (and only played a couple of times)
smile.gif
, so...

...I am working on some spreadsheets ( I am not that good at it, and it is...comprehensive ) so one can easily design weapons, vehicles, etc for Striker. ...Gatsby<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you can zip up what you've got and put on your existing site?

Looks like Red24 is interested too...

Anywho, sorry for the long post everybody!

I am trying to caome up with a fairly universal format, so a user can download a file (or print from the screen) some vehicle designs. Not everyone has MSword or Excel, so those are out. Is Notepad just a Windows only thing? Any ideas as to file format?

Gats'

I am trying to caome up with a fairly universal format, so a user can download a file (or print from the screen) some vehicle designs. Not everyone has MSword or Excel, so those are out. Is Notepad just a Windows only thing? Any ideas as to file format?

Gats'
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plain Text always works, i.e. from Notepad. Though for web files simple HTML should work fine as well.
As long as you have a consistent format for posting the vehicles in, either (or both) Text/HTML would work. I know the Striker construction rules had a vehicle description format that was fairly compact and straight forward. Start there.

Back