• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Any character generation suggestions?

Jame

SOC-14 5K
I'm trying to generate a character using the T20 rules, but T20 lite isn't really helping. Does anyone have any suggestions/comments/etcetera? Thanks! :confused:

I don't have either the Player's Handbook or the Traveller's Handbook. Also, I'm trying to design a merchant, how do I determine even attributes?

Here's a brief overview:

1) Generate ability scores. (4d6, take the three highest, arrange to taste.)

2) Pick a homeworld, or randomly generate one using the tables in the THB. From there, you gain a free feat (or three, if you're from an asteroid belt or vacuum world), and select three points worth of homeworld related skills.

3) Generate a first level character of the original class.

4) Go through Prior History, levelling up the character at the end of each term.

5) Muster out and buy equipment.

Then you're done. There's too much information for your specific request for me to be specific about everything, but that's the jist of it, from my experience. You will definitely need the book to get much further than step one.

Hope this helps,
Flynn

Thanks, it's a great help. T20 seems to have the info now that I know what to look for.
I apreciate your advice!

My pleasure. In reviewing T20 Lite, there does seem to be enough there for at least the Merchant, though it is scattered over a few pages.

Best of luck,
Flynn

So lets see if I have this correct.

If you are looking to play a traveler class that had a prior background of Navy it would look something like this?

1. Roll up character stats/race/world.
2. Traveler level 1. Get starting skills/feats/bonus feats for traveler class.
3. Prior history Navy term 1. Get starting Navy feats. If you level get skills/feats from Navy class.
4. Repeat 3 for each prior history until you are ready to muster out or get kicked out.

So, if this character spent 3 terms in the Navy for prior history and made enough exp to get to 4th level. He would be a level 3 Navy level 1 Traveler?

Originally posted by Jabbamagnus:
So lets see if I have this correct.

If you are looking to play a traveler class that had a prior background of Navy it would look something like this?

1. Roll up character stats/race/world.
2. Traveler level 1. Get starting skills/feats/bonus feats for traveler class.
3. Prior history Navy term 1. Get starting Navy feats. If you level get skills/feats from Navy class.
Or you could replace #2 with Navy service Class, then get out of Navy and get into Traveller Class.

You just have to comply with the requirements to multiclass into another class, starting in the Traveller class isn`t an obligation.

Originally posted by Jabbamagnus:
So, if this character spent 3 terms in the Navy for prior history and made enough exp to get to 4th level. He would be a level 3 Navy level 1 Traveler?
Close, but just surviving the 3 terms would actually put you at level 5 (even higher with any promotions, medals, or XP bonuses - with lucky die rolls you could be as high as 13th level).

According to the rules, you can take those in pretty much any non-service class you want in addition to Navy (you can only take multi-class into a service you are actually in). You could be a 1st level rogue, 1st level academic, 1st level traveller, 1st level professional and 1st level navy - 5 total levels. Of couse, you have feats up the wazoo, but not much for BAB if you do this.

Personally, I think a core class to start, 1-2 classes for prior history, then possibly one more after mustering out is the best way to do the multi-class - it makes better game sense.

Back