• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Couple Missile Opinions

Correct, but not Newton (force), energy is measured in Joule [J].
Yea, "Joules aren't Newtons" except that you multiple Newtons by 1 (meter? I think?) and get Joules.

"Science".

No matter.

A kilo of TNT is about 4.5MJ, so 31MJ for a missile hit "isn't that much", in the end. So, that model is kind of lousy from a kinetic energy pov.

Yea, "Joules aren't Newtons" except that you multiple Newtons by 1 (meter? I think?) and get Joules.
Yes, if you drag something with the force of X Newton a distance of 1 m you have expended X Joule of energy. Doesn't have much application on explosions.

A kilo of TNT is about 4.5MJ, so 31MJ for a missile hit "isn't that much", in the end. So, that model is kind of lousy from a kinetic energy pov.
Your example was a kinetic energy of 31 GJ, a thousand times more than 31 MJ.

By comparison a current tank round has a kinetic energy of 10-20 MJ. A solid penetrator with a thousand times more energy would punch quite a large hole through quite a lot of armour...

Not an impressive amount of energy compared to nukes, but concentrated to a small point it would penetrate quite well...

AD, my missile use case scenario for nukes is pre-ND. That also reduces the armor possible to be mounted to counter effects, and the spinals are less efficient fed by larger power plants.

Mesons at TL15 rule with the possible exception of those wack distributed hulls. Of course having 20+% PA should keep those would be Admiral Euriskos honest.

AD, my missile use case scenario for nukes is pre-ND. That also reduces the armor possible to be mounted to counter effects, and the spinals are less efficient fed by larger power plants.
OK, at lower TLs missiles is the most important weapon, but spinals are still the only way to permanently disable ships. As missiles dominates combat it becomes even more important to have heavy armour; expect more planetoids at lower TLs. You can't really have good armour and good agility, so you have to choose one of them.

The Eurisko fleet is an example of what happens at TL-12. It presents the enemy with a battle-line of armour 18 rocks with missile armament only. The fleet has a few spinals too (IIRC seven spinals vs 70+ missile rocks), but they are less well defended and would be scraped immediately if put in the battle-line.

The first part of the battle is slowly grinding down the enemy missile line by hopefully inflicting more weapon hits than the enemy can repair. Then when the battle-line is about to break, you place your spinals in the battle-line to exploit the breakthrough and kill damaged ships in the reserve.

The other alternative is agility 6 armour 4 missile frigates that are difficult to hit, but easy to damage. More vulnerable to PAs, less vulnerable to mesons.

You need many small missile batteries to generate lots of hits against slow rocks, and many large missile batteries to hit small, fast missile frigates. No single choice is best against all opponents...

Back