• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

3D Starship Images

Just made some updates:

- Replaced "placeholder" turret from original images with a more refined version based on the turret from Bryan Gibson's new SDB design.

- Finally got around to creating a decent backdrop for the "Scout on orbital approach" image.

Blimey- how fast does this man work!!!?! Love 'em- I am totally a sucker for this kind of thing, and (glances at lightwave icon lurking on desktop) wish I could do it mydself. However, i think I will be forever stuck in the 2D realm... I think that 3D modelled ships are the best way to vividly realise the Traveller milieu visually,especially if like me, your players aren't rules monkeys that devour source boooks. A few of these pics just "put you there" as it were. I know there's more to Traveller than ships, but hey, it's like popping out and taing a photo. I would like to know- from start to finish with the first skin done (ie. not counting tweak time) how long does a ship take?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fortunato:
Blimey- how fast does this man work!!!?! Love 'em- I am totally a sucker for this kind of thing, and (glances at lightwave icon lurking on desktop) wish I could do it mydself. However, i think I will be forever stuck in the 2D realm... I think that 3D modelled ships are the best way to vividly realise the Traveller milieu visually,especially if like me, your players aren't rules monkeys that devour source boooks. A few of these pics just "put you there" as it were. I know there's more to Traveller than ships, but hey, it's like popping out and taing a photo. I would like to know- from start to finish with the first skin done (ie. not counting tweak time) how long does a ship take?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the compliments!
smile.gif
My wife and I just had a baby so I'm taking a few weeks off work, thus, I'm able to focus on my artwork a bit more (in between diaper changes) and turn around changes pretty fast.

I agree with you, a picture is worth a thousand words, or at least a very detailed Universal Craft Profile.
wink.gif

I'm a gearhead myself and I try to keep my work "true" to the Traveller universe while appearing both visually appealing and plausible.

It's difficult to say how long it takes to create a model since I don't do 3D for a living so I've never closely tracked the time spent on it. I would venture to guess that it took about a week or so of work to model the scout and another couple of days for the texturing and then an endless series of test renders to tweak geometry, textures, mapping lighting, etc.

On my PictureTrail page, there's some ship models -- The Orion-style battleship from the novel 'Footfall' is at the top of the sidebar. Further down the sidebar is a Traveller battlewagon model, a Kokirrak-class Dreadnaught, and Bryan's Scout ship, also unfinished. The Scout should be right about 1/72 scale, at 17 inches long.

------------------
----------
Joe Brown

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fulacin Highport:
On my PictureTrail page, there's some ship models -- The Orion-style battleship from the novel 'Footfall' is at the top of the sidebar. Further down the sidebar is a Traveller battlewagon model, a Kokirrak-class Dreadnaught, and Bryan's Scout ship, also unfinished. The Scout should be right about 1/72 scale, at 17 inches long.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool! Be sure to keep us posted on the progress.

Hunter

I'm trying out a new rendering technique that looks similar to a "technical illustration" lineart style. I've posted a few sample images and I'd like feedback on how this style compares to the "photorealistic" style that I've posted before.
http://www.tedlindsey.com/3d/default.htm

TIA!

[This message has been edited by tlindsey (edited 14 May 2002).]

Very cool! I like it from a model-builders point-of-view; anything that gives me angles and views that assist the construction process!

------------------
----------
Joe Brown

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tlindsey:
I'm trying out a new rendering technique that looks similar to a "technical illustration" lineart style. I've posted a few sample images and I'd like feedback on how this style compares to the "photorealistic" style that I've posted before.

[This message has been edited by tlindsey (edited 14 May 2002).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very nice. I think I like the line art renders better for interior art, though the photorealistic ones would work better as cover art.

The one thing I'd suggest is to darken up some of the detail lines, panel edges, etc. They tend to disappear right now.

I'm trying out a new rendering technique that looks similar to a "technical illustration" lineart style.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mr Lindsey,

This is so totally awesome - I love the way that looks! I'd love to see the scout vessel rendered in that style, if it's just a matter of re-rendering.

Keep up the great work!

-FCS

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FlightCommanderSolitude:
Mr Lindsey,

This is so totally awesome - I love the way that looks! I'd love to see the scout vessel rendered in that style, if it's just a matter of re-rendering.

Keep up the great work!

-FCS
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you like the new style.
smile.gif
I wish it were as easy as just re-rendering the images. The two Scout images next to the b&w SDB images are rendered using the lineart style and "flat" textures. It's kind of hard to tell based on the thumbnails. Check 'em out and let me know what you think. I'll work up some b&w images of the Scout when I have some time.

- Ted

The two Scout images next to the b&w SDB images are rendered using the lineart style and "flat" textures.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm loving it. I can't which I like more - the b/w line art, the flat-textured lineart, or the photorealistic renderings - they're all so cool. The flat-textured renders have that cool technical-sketch look to them, and the structural details really stand out.

Gnarly!

-FCS

I posted some additional tests of the Scout all done up in black and white lineart.
http://www.tedlindsey.com/3d/default.htm

Fulacin: I'd love to see the "real" model of the Scout when you have a chance to finish it.

Tom Schoene: I agree that the lineart style seems to work better for interior illustrations. I'm still working on "tuning" the render to get a pleasing result. It's probably going to take some level tweaking in Photoshop to get them to look just right.

FCS: As promised.
smile.gif

And I would love to have the model finished to show off, too!
smile.gif

I'm currently juggling about nine model projects around, and hope to have at least five of them finished within a week.

That will clear the decks sufficiently enough to get the Scout finished, and get started on the SDB. Once those are knocked out, the Merc Cruiser is next.

Crowding me for time is the annual Wonderfest show in Louisville the weekend of the 24th... or in 8 days. After that, I'll have a bit more time for pure Traveller modeling.

------------------
----------
Joe Brown

[This message has been edited by Fulacin Highport (edited 15 May 2002).]

very very cool

I wouldn;t mind just being able to do so good a pencil/ink rendering let alone the rest of the stages
wink.gif

------------------
Neo

"Et semel emissum volat irrevocabile verbum".

Hey Joe

I love the real models you have done from the picture trail of some of the ships. Great work. Were you using clay or making molds when creating the models? I spent about 20 hours on the Merc Crusier in 3D. It has a lot of work to be done before it will be in the same class as Teds 3Ds. I hope Ted will explain how he gets the great detail in his maps. I have only be doing 3D for about a year and half and have never tried any spaces ships. I mostly do product CGIs for a candle company.

Well I hope to do one of the vehicles if I have some time. I have a lot of irons in the fire. hehe

Later, Eric R.

Originally posted by BadDogMerc:
Hey Joe

I love the real models you have done from the picture trail of some of the ships. Great work. Were you using clay or making molds when creating the models?
Thanks for the kind words!

Using clay? Making molds? What odd words these Terrans use.....

When model building, a whole bunch of my work is in the form of "one-off's". I have (to date) only made one master that was actually 'kitted' up as a resin model (an aerospace fighter, Battletech).

I just use whatever materials are available which will get the model done. Sheet plastic, polystyrene foam (the pink insulation foam), epoxy putty, wood, metal.... whatever will work.

I just returned from the annual Superbowl of sci-fi modeling, held in Louisville Kentucky, so I'm a bit burnt-out on doing any models at the moment. But getting the new Scout finished is next up on my list, even before building the new Moya kit!

Back