• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

2300AD Supplement Review

Spire

SOC-5
So I'm looking at the Earth/Cyber-Tech Source book and Bayern adventure and wondering if they are worth picking up. Specifically, the Earth/Cbyertech book claims that it has details of the ships defending Earth. I understand that Bayern expands on info for the American Arm and two or three "new" alien races.

Any info is appreciated and ratings (1= Least Vital/Useful, 10=Most Vital/Useful) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-MCM

Originally posted by Spire:
So I'm looking at the Earth/Cyber-Tech Source book and Bayern adventure and wondering if they are worth picking up. Specifically, the Earth/Cbyertech book claims that it has details of the ships defending Earth. I understand that Bayern expands on info for the American Arm and two or three "new" alien races.

Any info is appreciated and ratings (1= Least Vital/Useful, 10=Most Vital/Useful) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-MCM
ECS details the OQC (Orbital Quarantine Command), but provides no hard-and-fast details on any ships. It has some other good stuff, though. Some of it poorly integrated, but still good.

I like Bayern. However, it provides NO information on the American Arm. It does provide some info on one alien race, "The Little Guys" but nothing overly detailed. Of course, it also has the AGRA intelligence, but that's not a usuable alien. That's a "scare the beejeezus out of the world" sort of alien.

Colin
2320AD writer and certified nutjob

yeah, bayern has an arthur c. clarke feel to it. you contact the aliens but have no real understanding of them because they're so much more advanced.

Of course, it also has the AGRA intelligence, but that's not a usuable alien. That's a "scare the beejeezus out of the world" sort of alien.
We talking "Alien" type alien?

"Little Guys", like "greys"?

Doesn't Bayern take place in the American Arm, or rather at the "end" of the arm?

-MCM

bayern talks about how they pass through part of the american arm, before leaving it to go far far away, I think they are talking 200-300 ly out. its a major major exploration.

the little guys are 4 armed monkeys who have nuked them selves to the stone age.

the ARGA is like nothing a human can describe.

the book provides an amazing setting, and background information for something somewhat star-trek like "something new every episode", as they travel towards their destination (the Pleides star cluster).

Earth/CyberTech has good background info, but all of the stats on countries seems kinda wack.
I'm unsure if I am reading it wrong all these times, or if 5 diferent people made up numbers for a series of stats, and never talked to one another.

the Cybertech part is limited, and rather dated when you compare it to anything current (cyberpunk 2020).

the OQC idea is cool. but flawed, since there is no writing anywhere about any kind of orbital cargo areas besides the beanstalk.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I think the SOL system is one of the most HIGHLY underdeveloped parts of the game setting.

theres just SO much stuff in our own system, right THERE (not ly away) for the plucking.

in my view of 2300ad, theres a big collection of stuff in our solar system.

No, for the AGRA intelligence we're talking "god" sort of alien. It was moving stars around as some sort of cosmic construction project. Some sort of fifth-dimensional being.

As for the Little Guys, no, they're not Greys. Think monkey-faced, furry, four-armed critters that blasted themselves back to the stone-age in a system-wide war. The ones encountered on the moonbase were fighting a war against some (barely) functioning robots that had worked for the other side in the war.

Colin
2320AD Guy

Back