• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

1G ship on a 10G world....

Murph

SOC-14 1K
What happens if you have a 1G acceleration ship and it lands on a 10G world?

My answer:

You just take off. Once Contra-grav is there, the field surrounding your ship is whatever gravity you want and so therefore you can take off and land without issues since you have nullified the local gravity. Escape velocity and mass become irrelevant with Contra-grav technology.

Reference: H. Beam Piper
either Cosmic Computer, Space Viking, or Four Day Planet.

My answer:

You just take off. Once Contra-grav is there, the field surrounding your ship is whatever gravity you want and so therefore you can take off and land without issues since you have nullified the local gravity. Escape velocity and mass become irrelevant with Contra-grav technology.

Reference: H. Beam Piper
either Cosmic Computer, Space Viking, or Four Day Planet.
This is how I posit that LBB3 air/rafts (and similar grav technology) work.
In a word ... LITHOBRAKING ... :eek: 💥

In slightly more words:
10G pointed down to the ground ... minus 1G pointed up into the sky ... still equals 9G down into the ground. :eek: 💥
This is how Striker and subsequent rule sets say it works.

Only in these forums can 10-1 = -1 ... :cautious:

Next you'll be telling us that 1G acceleration is all you need to escape the event horizon of a black hole ... 🤭
depends on how fast you went in and at what angle. that whole slingshot thing. of course, spagettization may put a damper on that attempt

A 1 g accel ship takes 19 minutes to reach 40,270 km/h or escape speed from the Earth. It takes 350 days to reach .99 c at 1 g, probably anywhere except over the event horizon, and had fuel for that time, maybe. Online physics calculators are fun.

My answer:

Honestly, that is my take too. But Traveller has mostly been hazy on the exact mechanics.

A 1 g accel ship takes 19 minutes to reach 40,270 km/h or escape speed from the Earth.
In the absence of a gravity well ...

I'm not quite sure how to tell you this (so that you'll believe me) so let's make this as obvious as possible.
👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇 + 👆 = (wait for it...) 👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇

Count them yourself if you don't believe me.

Where I come from ... 10x Down + 1x Up = 9x Down = :eek:💥

You're asserting this:
👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇 + 👆 = 👆

Where you come from ... 10x Down + 1x Up = 1x Up = 🚀✨

I can't explain it any plainer than this.

Last edited:
In the absence of a gravity well ...
That is the escape speed, so in that it is figured in. However, the rules state that a vehicle accelerates at it's g thrust rate, nothing else. In reality there would be more calcs, though given that time and energy are unlimited, the only variable to change is time.

1703816227819.png

Irrelevant.
Above 2 G, your heart and circulatory system will quickly fail, so even if the ship can fly … at 10G you will be dead before it lands. :cool:

My answer:

You just take off.
If that is the way you want it, that is the way it works IYTU.

If you don't bother to house-rule it then by default that is way it works in TNE, but not in CT or MT.

My answer:

The only way the math works for that is if the ship's acceleration is x(-G).

10G surface gravity world?
Turn on your 1G contra-grav technology and ... 10G x (-1G) = -10G ... you are YEETed up into space at 10G.
If you had 2G contra-grav technology ... 10G x (-2G) = -20G ... you are YEETed up into space at 20G(!), because your contra-grav tech is twice as powerful as the 1G version!

To use a mildly famous quote from a professor ... "It's not even wrong."

Turn on your 1G contra-grav technology and ... 10G x (-1G) = -10G ...
TNE contra-grav is not CT anti-grav, it works differently...

FF&S, p23:
Contra-grav negates the gravitational force of over 99% of the vehicle's weight. This allows light lift vehicles to actually be buoyant on worlds with sufficiently dense atmospheres. However, all contra-grav vehicles are assumed to have vectored thrust agencies to hold up the remaining fraction of their weight, allowing them to hover.
Contra-grav is not limited to 1 G or 2 G, it negates nearly all gravity. How that works I have no idea, somehow the craft is unaffected by the geometry of curved space-time...

If that is the way you want it, that is the way it works IYTU.

If you don't bother to house-rule it then by default that is way it works in TNE, but not in CT or MT.
Actually Contragrav in TNE screens 99% of gravity...

Though Inertial Compensation is a different thingy....

Though in CT, gravs have a limit... As per Secret of the ancients....

Consider, your air/raft weighs 4 tons, can carry 4 tons and move at 100kph... Which doesn't match the mechanism in Striker very well...

Though honestly I am comfortable with multiple flavors of gravity vehicles... In my head cannon lifters are kinda like SW's landspeeders whose altitude limit is NOE.... With more expensive Grav being capable of free flight. With plasma drives being the main Maneuver drive.

Consider, your air/raft weighs 4 tons, can carry 4 tons and move at 100kph... Which doesn't match the mechanism in Striker very well...
Assume it's always fully loaded, don't recalculate for changes in local gravity (or atmosphere). and give it 1.1g thrust. Aside from not having an assigned NOE speed, it pretty clearly lines up.

Mind you, change local gravity or atmospheric density and it stops lining up at all.

Back