Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old January 29th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Question EVA in Jump Space?

Reading through ship descriptions in GT: Starships, I noticed the little story in the description of the Liverpool dispersed-hull bulk freighter, in which thieves hid inside a habitat module and shipped themselves as freight, then came out "during the voyage" and stole valuables from other cargo modules. Assuming that "during the voyage" means they came out of their module while in jump space to break into the other modules, this raises a few questions.

If there are answers to these questions in rules somewhere, I'd like to know where; if not, I'd like to hear how you would rule IYTU.

1) Is extra-vehicular activity possible while in jump space?

2) If it is possible to go outside the hull, does it matter whether or not you stay inside the jump grid?

3) If you go outside the jump grid while in jump space, what happens?

4) Does the jump grid on a dispersed structure hull closely follow the outside of each module and connecting struts, or does it form some kind of bubble shape of sufficient size to contain the whole ship?
Old January 29th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Reading through ship descriptions in GT: Starships, I noticed the little story in the description of the Liverpool dispersed-hull bulk freighter, in which thieves hid inside a habitat module and shipped themselves as freight, then came out "during the voyage" and stole valuables from other cargo modules. Assuming that "during the voyage" means they came out of their module while in jump space to break into the other modules, this raises a few questions.

If there are answers to these questions in rules somewhere, I'd like to know where; if not, I'd like to hear how you would rule IYTU.

1) Is extra-vehicular activity possible while in jump space?

2) If it is possible to go outside the hull, does it matter whether or not you stay inside the jump grid?

3) If you go outside the jump grid while in jump space, what happens?

4) Does the jump grid on a dispersed structure hull closely follow the outside of each module and connecting struts, or does it form some kind of bubble shape of sufficient size to contain the whole ship?
1 - yes. as long as you don't extend more than 1m away from the hull.

2 - the grid is at the hull level, except in certain special cases - stay within a bubble defined by 1m away from the grid.

3 - anything extending past the (highly visible) edge of the bubble loses baryon cohesion, and flies apart into quarks right to the edge of the bubble. The quarks precipitate out separately from the ship. This has been used once as a means to perform a needed amputation without a surgical kit in one game...

4 - closely follows.

My views are strongly informed by DGP's MT-canon Starship Operator's Manual.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:34 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit Carlobrand's Blog
Carlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected CitizenCarlobrand Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post

2 - the grid is at the hull level, except in certain special cases - stay within a bubble defined by 1m away from the grid.

3 - anything extending past the (highly visible) edge of the bubble loses baryon cohesion, and flies apart into quarks right to the edge of the bubble. The quarks precipitate out separately from the ship. This has been used once as a means to perform a needed amputation without a surgical kit in one game...

4 - closely follows.

Doesn't Starship Operator's Manual feature a story in which a crewman dies several days after exposure to jump space?
Comments made are for the purpose of offering alternative campaign settings for consideration. The writer acknowledges that Traveller is intended to emulate certain common science fiction tropes and that, in the course of emulating those tropes and providing a better playing experience, some liberties must be taken with science. No statement by the writer should be interpreted as constituting a criticism of the game on that basis ... except for that bit about Virus. Dude, really?!
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

Mongoose Traveller uses a hydrogen jump bubble that surrounds the entire vessel, thus there can be quite a bit of normal space to move around in during jump. I put it at 1 meter from the vessel's longest axis so there are tight spaces and big open ones at the same time.

Personally I've never been a fan of the jump grid because I can't see a way around combat damage not disrupting or damaging the grid thus making jump too risky or even impossible.
Old January 30th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Lycanorukke Citizen+Lycanorukke Citizen+Lycanorukke Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlobrand View Post
Doesn't Starship Operator's Manual feature a story in which a crewman dies several days after exposure to jump space?
IIRC - the medic got sucked out into N-space after a misjump ripped a hole in the hull during transition, the steward went looking inside the compartment but got too close to the jump field protruding into the hole (didn't touch it though), got a bad case of 'jump sickness' and died after a few days because of no medic.

As for can/can't crawl around the hull in jump - just go by Rule Zero: "The GM is always right"
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Knight

Visit Blue Ghost's Blog
Blue Ghost has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanorukke View Post
IIRC - the medic got sucked out into N-space after a misjump ripped a hole in the hull during transition, the steward went looking inside the compartment but got too close to the jump field protruding into the hole (didn't touch it though), got a bad case of 'jump sickness' and died after a few days because of no medic.

As for can/can't crawl around the hull in jump - just go by Rule Zero: "The GM is always right"
I think the design rules state a ship uses either a bubble or a grid. The bubble configuation costs nothing and takes up no space in the design, where the grid costs some. Therefore one might argue that as an emergency back up, say a destroyer that's suffered heavy damage but still has its jump drive, it could jump out via a bubble instead of relying on its grid.

Personally, I don't see the advantage in a grid over a bubble.
Old January 30th, 2013, 06:46 AM

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post

4 - closely follows.

So how, on a dispersed freighter with external cargo modules, do the modules make it into jump... seeing as they protrude well over 1m past the ship's structure?

Or do you say that the modules have a jump-grid incorporated into them which hooks into the ship's jump-grid power system?

Just another thing which counts heavily, in my opinion, against having jump-grids.
Old January 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
So how, on a dispersed freighter with external cargo modules, do the modules make it into jump... seeing as they protrude well over 1m past the ship's structure?

Or do you say that the modules have a jump-grid incorporated into them which hooks into the ship's jump-grid power system?

Just another thing which counts heavily, in my opinion, against having jump-grids.
The modules typically have a grid. When they don't, a cable-net grid can be bought. Carried ships have a grid, and there is a connection port for using it.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 30th, 2013, 08:31 AM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I think the design rules state a ship uses either a bubble or a grid. The bubble configuation costs nothing and takes up no space in the design, where the grid costs some. Therefore one might argue that as an emergency back up, say a destroyer that's suffered heavy damage but still has its jump drive, it could jump out via a bubble instead of relying on its grid.

Personally, I don't see the advantage in a grid over a bubble.
A grid allows a ship to be exactly the same volume in jump space no matter what configuration it is.

A bubble suggests that the volume of the bubble is the critical volume for calculating jump fuel (assuming that the fuel forms the bubble). Assuming a 1 meter thick 'bubble' clinging to the hull, a 100 dT sphere will have a significantly smaller surface area and bubble volume than a 100 dT dispersed stricture - so the sphere should need less bubble (jump drive? jump fuel?) than the dispersed structure.

The grid makes less sense (for the battle damage reasons already mentioned) but the grid matches the jump rules more closely.
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:31 AM

Gallery : 15
samuelvss Citizen
Default Jump Bubble v. Grids

IMTU, jump bubbles are easier to set up for a standard, self-contained ship, but they lack flexibility. Just as it is more costly and even cumbersome to put tow points and matched tow cables on military vehicles, something that civilian vehicles rarely need, so jump grids bring both a bit of capability and problems.

IMTU, a bubble must be "tuned" to the ship quite exactly, OTW there is both the chance of misjump and a greater use of jump fuel (1D%). The tuning is very important, but fairly straitforward. It can be done in 1D6 at a Class A starport, or hours by a ship with Model/2 or greater. The jump bubble, properly tuned, extends about an average of 1m above the outer edge of the ship and its' components, but has a basically smooth shape, such that on a Sulieman, the sharp angles and top of the turret come within about .5 m, and the space just around the base of the turret is has almost 2m of space between the bubble and the deck. Carried craft can be "tuned in" to the ship's jump bubble, as noted. Battle damage may include hull plates, struts and debris that protrude into or too close to (most Engineering sources use .25m as a guideline) the bubble, creating a chance (+1) or misjump.

A jump grid acts as "instant tuning," and is in effect, "plug and play." There is a jump field created in both cases, which is the same roughly 1m average distance from the hull. This is called a "jump bubble" in common usage, (just as the ignorant refer to carrying "clips" for their autopistols ), causing some confusion in those grounhogs who don't clearly know the difference. A carried craft's jump grid is, by definition, attached to its' carrying ship when they dock. If the ship jumps without it, the jump fuel consumption is reduced proportionately. Modules can be carried as deck cargo if the ship is thus designed, and added and removed between jumps without lengthy tuning that prevents last minute additions. A disabled ship can be attached to one that has the fuel and jump drive sufficient to jump with it, and the connection of the grids (and lashing of the hulls together so there is no relative movement), takes minutes, and the drives of one function to jump the two of them. A small craft can be docked to a ship that does not normally carry it, with a potential reduction in jump number, and change in jump fuel consumption.

A hole in the grid causes minor problems, as the jump field will sag. If it sags enough, then this can cause a clearance problem, from the underlying structure or debris, with a possibility of misjump, as with the bubble discussion, above. Generally, a massive hole will require grid jumpers or even a net. This is an Engineering function, though Mechanical skill is useful in cutting away rubble that is protruding. The jumpers are magnetically attached, and do not require any actual mechanical or electical process to connect. An EVA is always required to attach jumpers, however. A net, however, requires 1D6 turns to employ in EVA, and is usually only carried on military ships, or those with a particular need, such as Belters or those working in salvage.

SVSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Leave the gun; take the cannoli."