Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old March 8th, 2021, 12:23 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Default Immortality Drugs

An offshoot of Anagathic research, some researchers tried to create Immortality Drugs, with several degrees of success which was then suppressed by the Imperium. An underground market began with two leading "brands": Eterna, and Methuselex

Most Citizens don't know this exists.

Immortality Drug I - Methuselex
Increases life span of most beings.
Reproductive drugs could help keep population down, if used.
Add (d1000 - 3d10) to life span, before aging rolls start.
Street value Cr10,000 per dose

Immortality Drug II – Eterna

Extremely increases the life span of most beings.
Newer reproductive drugs could help keep the population down, if used.
Add d10000 (4d10) to life span, before aging rolls start.
Street value Cr1,000,000 per dose

(I really have to figure out some Mishaps for these.)
Old March 8th, 2021, 06:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
vegascat Citizen
Default Anagathics IMTU

Anagathics

Ambrosia, Anagathic drink for the Old Ones

Anyone found taking anagathics will take a permanent Social Standing loss of 1D6 plus a third of his Social Standing.
Ambrosia; Honey, Blood, Gold bottle-based alcohol drink used for life extension of the old ones. One pint equals one month for the old ones or 4 years for humans of any species, reversing aging fails. For humans, Roll Con save for each drink, minus one per drink. A fail causes an immediate effect of an aging fail and any more drinks of ambrosia will cause 1D6 more aging fails as it is now toxic to that person. Ambrosia poisonous for any other life form causing genetic damage. Droyne have a similar Ambrosia like drink called Ambliss.

Ambliss is an Ambrosia like drink for Droyne and Chirpers. Ingredients are Honey, Droyne blood, and other common items. It is poisonous for any other life form causing genetic damage leading to death. For Droyne and Chirpers. roll a Con save for each drink, minus one per drink. A fail causes an immediate effect of an aging fail, and any more drinks of ambrosia will cause 1D6 more aging fails as it is now toxic to that person, It reverses aging fails and can add to stats. On a roll of 5-6 it will add 1 to each stat on a 4-6 D6 roll. For chirpers the first drink only also adds to Int 1D6 points.

Thraller sap. An anagathics based on the Thraller plant grown on only a few garden worlds. When properly possessed will stop aging effects if taken once per month. It adds +6 to aging rolls, minus 1 per month missed within a year for every aging check after the first dose is taken. Each time a dose is taken, the person suffers horrible delusions for 6+4D6 hours.
Old March 8th, 2021, 11:51 PM
Count

Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

I like those. Makes me think of the Smart Bars that are around with their Brain drinks and such. I like how you add a bonus to the Aging roll - that makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by Spinward Scout; March 9th, 2021 at 04:00 AM..
Old March 9th, 2021, 12:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

It saound like what is proposed is a means of stopping your body from aging for an extended period of time. However, an individual taking the drugs can still die from all sorts of other things besides their body getting older.

My question is how risk-adverse are such people going to be so as not to jeopardize their extended youth?

Second, how likely are such individuals apt to make friends with anyone who is not on the drugs, knowing that they will watch them grow older and die?

Third, how do these individuals deal with the envy of all of those who cannot afford the drugs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old March 9th, 2021, 05:14 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
(I really have to figure out some Mishaps for these.)
Some suggestions (not mutually exclusive):
  • Instead of subtracting 3d10/4d10, multiply those by 10. If they roll higher tan the d1000/d10000, this may be a major mishap (evne leading to instant death)...
  • Make an END based task roll modified by the Doctor administring it). If failed, lifespan is so increased, but aging continues, so making the user a nageing long lived person (a side effect known as Tithonus1 síndrome, after the Solomani Greek mithos)
See that the second one is quite cruel, probably the reason why those drugs are not that much sought for...
Note 1: link to Wikipedia

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 9th, 2021, 09:17 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Some people might want eternal youth, in order that their bodies can and are likely to survive risky activities.
Old March 9th, 2021, 10:54 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

One thing I would do is adhere strictly to an INT+EDU skill limit, 'forgetting' disused skills while learning new ones, at best retaining a skill-0 and eventually atrophying away.

"Fly a helicopter? Why yes I have done that. 2000 years ago. No 3000, that was my 14th wife and the Rule of Man was still going. She was nice. Bit rusty on the flying, sort of like an air/raft, takeoff won't be a problem but I can't guarantee the landing."
Old March 9th, 2021, 11:13 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
Some people might want eternal youth, in order that their bodies can and are likely to survive risky activities.
That's why the second suggested mishap is so cruel and would justify those drugs not being popular...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 9th, 2021, 11:54 PM
Count

So how about these for Mishap Tables? I think I got everyone's ideas.

Immortality Drug Mishaps (1d6)
1.) Physical Mishaps
2/) Mental Mishap
3.) Major Mishap
4.) Mental Mishap
5.) Physical Mishaps
6.) Mental Mishap

Major Mishaps (1d6)
(Odd) Imstantaneous Death
- an adverse reaction shutting down all major organs
(Even) Catatonia
- the body still functions but the Mind is destroyed

Physical Mishaps (1d4)
1.) Normal Aging (Tithonus síndrome)
- the Body ages normally, bit the Mind doesn't age
2.) Permenant Gradual Lloss of Voluntary Motor Functions
- causing a minus 1 to STR or DEX once per Century
3.) Permenant Disfigurement
- Causing an immediate Loss of 1d6 to STR or DEX or SOC
4.) Permenant Genetic Damage
- causing Infertility

Mental Mishaps (1d6)
1.) Endangerment Anxiety
- resulting in irrational reactions similar to Post-traumatic Stress
2.) Isolationism
- due to others not having their life entended and watching them die
3.) Target of Envy
- having to deal with the Jealousy of those without the Life Extension
4.) Invulnerability Delusion
- has a growing idea of being "bulletproof"
5.) Memory Loss
- causing a minus 1 to EDU once per Century
6.) Loss of Reason
- causing a minus 1 to INT once per Century
Old March 10th, 2021, 09:52 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
2.) Isolationism
- due to others not having their life entended and watching them die
About this, I'd suggest people to watch the TV serial Forever

Quote:
3.) Target of Envy
- having to deal with the Jealousy of those without the Life Extensión
IMHO, this would be more a social tan mental effect. I'd suggest to change it to Paranoia, by believing this envy exists, even while no one may have it, or even know (s)he is so old...