Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old December 6th, 2020, 11:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

It is meant to be an incentive, since there's not much opportunity for pillage and looting on the sea.
Old December 9th, 2020, 09:00 PM

Gallery : 5
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

The following item comes from the The Sea Services in the Korean War 1950-1953 section on the Marines in the Pusan Perimeter.

Quote:
There was not enough time in most instances for weapons familiarization training. Company A of the 1st Tank Battalion had been accustomed to the M4A3 Medium tank with either the 75-mm. gun or the 105-mm. howitzer. Activated on 7 July for service with the Brigade, the unit was equipped with M–26 “Pershing” tanks and 90-mm. guns. Captain Gearl M. English, the commanding officer, managed to snatch 1 day in which to take his men to the range with 2 of the new machines. Each gunner and loader was limited to 2 rounds, and the 90-mm. guns were never fired again until they were taken into combat in Korea.
This is NOT the recommended way to send a unit into combat, but I suspect that the T-34/85 used by the North Koreans in the initial invasion thoroughly spooked the people in Washington. The standard M4A3E8 with the 76mm gun proved quite capable of dealing with the T-34.

However, this does give one thoughts about a Traveller military unit being sent into combat with newly issued equipment that they had not been trained on or familiar with. That might prove to be quite challenging to the players. All these new goodies, but what exactly do they do?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old December 9th, 2020, 11:21 PM

Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

The source for the following quote is the same as the previous one. If gives you a good idea as to the manning of a Marine Air Wing of World War 2-Korean War vintage.

Quote:
On this same date, the Brigade’s air component amounted to 192 officers and 1,358 men. The principal units were as follows:
VMF–214: 29 officers, 157 men, 24 F4U4B aircraft.
VMF–323: 29 officers, 157 men, 24 F4U4B aircraft.
VMF(N)–513: 15 officers, 98 men, 12 F4U5N aircraft.
VMO–6: 15 officers, 63 men, 8 OY and 4 HO3S–1 aircraft.
The F4U were the Corsair, the F4U5N were the night fighter version with a wing-mounted radar, the OY were light liaison aircraft, and the HO3S-1 light Sikorsky utility helicopters. If anyone wants more information on the aircraft. private message me and I will send it to you.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Last edited by Timerover51; February 19th, 2021 at 08:39 PM..
Old December 9th, 2020, 11:23 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timerover51 View Post
VMF–214: 29 officers, 157 men, 24 F4U4B aircraft.
Pappy Boyington's group.
Old December 9th, 2020, 11:37 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 16
Proneutron Citizen+Proneutron Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Pappy Boyington's group.
I met him a couple of times at airshows in CA Central Valley. He was with a Japanese WW2 pilot.
Old December 10th, 2020, 12:23 AM

Gallery : 9
Grav_Moped Citizen+Grav_Moped Citizen+

Quote:
However, this does give one thoughts about a Traveller military unit being sent into combat with newly issued equipment that they had not been trained on or familiar with. That might prove to be quite challenging to the players. All these new goodies, but what exactly do they do?
Friend Computer has assigned you a Device. You do not have clearance to know how it works or even what it is. While you may infer that it is a weapon of some sort, this knowledge is above your clearance level and you will be terminated if your teammates realize that you know this.

Of course, if they realize this, they will also know that they have information beyond their own clearance level and will be terminated as well if this is discovered.
Old December 10th, 2020, 10:18 AM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneutron View Post
I met him a couple of times at airshows in CA Central Valley. He was with a Japanese WW2 pilot.
Yup ditto. The Japanese pilot was supposedly the guy who shot him down.

I got both of their autographs, and bought a rising sun shirt from the Japanese guy. I think he was also selling a book.

This was probably spring 1981.
Old December 11th, 2020, 01:53 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
The following item comes from the The Sea Services in the Korean War 1950-1953 section on the Marines in the Pusan Perimeter.

This is NOT the recommended way to send a unit into combat, but I suspect that the T-34/85 used by the North Koreans in the initial invasion thoroughly spooked the people in Washington. The standard M4A3E8 with the 76mm gun proved quite capable of dealing with the T-34.

I have a familiarization mechanic for that.

So Gunnery covers EVERYTHING from starship weapons to TL5 HMGs and guns.

The skill allows for quick adjustment to using something unfamiliar without major negatives, but only time and training with new equipment will allow the full skill+ DMs to kick in.
Old December 12th, 2020, 05:35 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

It pretty much depends on what precise definitions the skills and sub skills give.

You could end up with quite some overlap, and/or grey areas, as when I install groundscale weapon systems on spacecraft.
Old February 19th, 2021, 08:50 PM

Visit Timerover51's Blog

I came across the following reports of a couple of very brave men while reading Volume 8 of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion. The records do make for some interesting reading as well as some boring material, but they do give a lot of insight as to the day to day operations of a nautical force.

Quote:
I would bring to your notice the heroic conduct of Thomas C. Barton, seaman, who, when a shell with cartridge attached fell out of the howitzer upon the deck, the charge, which must have been wet, being ignited, got a bucket of water and threw it upon it, thereby preventing its explosion.
That would be the equivalent of smothering a live grenade with an object today.

Quote:
I would particularly mention Edwin Smith (ordinary seaman) for gallantry,
who swam on shore under the fire of the enemy with a line, while lying aground on the opposite bank, which rendered me important service, as the risk of lowering a boat would have been extremely hazardous.
Basically, Seaman Smith swam to the opposite bank and fastened a line so that the ship could pull itself off from where it had grounded in a fairly narrow river.

The Medal of Honor did exist, but no lower decorations. I just thought that these two individuals should be remembered today. The action took place on October 3, 1862.