Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old December 4th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 2
The Thing Citizen
Default Would this work?

It's amazing that a jump drive takes up so little space on a ship, really. I mean, a jump3 drive takes up 4% of a ships volume, that's only twice as much as a jump1 and gives triple the jump range.

The bear is the fact the jump fuel takes 10% of the volume per parsec, so a jump3 engine with fuel takes up 34% of a ship's volume as opposed to the 12% that a jump 1 takes...

Anyway, I was thinking of a ship with some special modifications to it that took advantage of a jump drive's really tiny volume need.

Now picture this with me here: We have what appears to be a beyowulf class ship, but she has a jump3 engine. Her cargo holds are modified to allow the crew to quickly convert them from cargo to fuel in a few hours.

So for a jump1 run, no problem, use the ship as is.

Have someone who needs cargo delivered at jump2 and is willing to pay for it? Convert one section of the modified hold to a fuel tank and you're a jump2 ship.

Someone needs desperately to get somewhere at jump3 and has an imperial credit voucher? Convert both modified hold sections to fuel tanks and plot a jump3 course.

This might cost a bit, but it could give a regular beyowulf some serious flexibility that could give it an edge. The problem I see is that if it were feasible and cost effective every freaking beyowulf in the galaxy would have been converted over to it, so I have to wonder why they haven't.

Any ideas on why? Or was this just a great idea the game writers missed and a player picked up?
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Icosahedron Citizen

Isn't this what collapsible fuel tanks do?
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:56 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Yup. Standard option since MT.
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Captain Midnight Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icosahedron View Post
Isn't this what collapsible fuel tanks do?
I thought it was "demountable" fuel tanks, instead of "collapsible" ones; I know GT makes the distinction. The difference is that the demountables come with enough pumps and structural supports and everything else needed to allow their tankage to be included with the integral ship's tankage, and they are a pain to install and remove. With collapsibles, you have to pump it over to the main tankage before it can be used, so you wind up having enough fuel to do a second jump, but you have to do it as two jumps of shorter length instead of a single longer jump.

There's also the question of whether the additional flexibility is going to justify the loss of revenue from the space required for the bigger jump drive and the folded-up tanks, in addition to the initial cost of the tanks and drives. Increasing the jump by 1 for a 200-ton ship takes two more tons of jump drive, and even after discounts for standardization and quantity, that's going to run you at least an extra 7 MCr.

The GM gets to decide if there is enough call for extra jump capability to economically justify the decision, but if there's that much demand, I'd expect J-3 shipping to already exist.
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Plankowner Citizen

CT allowed both versions. Book 5 I believe

Collapsable tanks took up cargo space but didn't add to ship volume.
Demountable (drop) tanks did not take up cargo space but added to ship volume and you lost it at the time of jump.
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:59 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

CT only offered drop tanks.

MT added dismountable and collapsible tanks.
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Captain Midnight Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankowner View Post
CT allowed both versions. Book 5 I believe

Collapsable tanks took up cargo space but didn't add to ship volume.
Demountable (drop) tanks did not take up cargo space but added to ship volume and you lost it at the time of jump.
There's actually three different options, if you include drop tanks. There's the "collapsible" option, which you'd have to pump the fuel out of separately; there's the "interior demountable" option, which takes up cargo space, but can be included in the fuel required for a longer jump; and then there are "drop tanks", which are carried external to the hull and get emptied and dropped before going into jump.
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Gallery : 4
G. Kashkanun Anderson Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post

I'm pretty sure that Trillion Credit Squadron added the collapsible tank option, although I don't have my book collection handy at the moment to make certain of that.

But assuming that's true, then collapsible tanks count as a CT offering, too.

Although when you think about it, it would be an incredible feat of nanotechnology to create a material pliant enough to be collapsible and yet impermeable enough to keep all that hydrogen from leaking everywhere.
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Gallery : 2
fredofmars Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post

Actually it was CT. Trillion Credit Squadron (Adventure 5) added dismountable and collapsible tanks (as well as percentage based fuel purifiers).
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:34 PM

Captain Midnight Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kashkanun Anderson View Post
Although when you think about it, it would be an incredible feat of nanotechnology to create a material pliant enough to be collapsible and yet impermeable enough to keep all that hydrogen from leaking everywhere.
Especially when you consider the efforts required to keep it in a liquid state, not to mention the low temperatures. Slamming it into a HeftyBag isn't going to get the job done.