Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old August 19th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
[img]smile.gif[/img] Several

What OS and not everyone having a computer at the gaming table to name the biggest two.

Tried a computer for running some bookeeping drudgery at the gaming table a couple times and it just slowed things down and distracted everybody from the role-playing.

I'm with the KISS crowd on this. In fact I'd love to make this diceless, but that is a whole other set of challenges

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Oh, thanks for the update on BITS Sigg. My bookmarks are still being slowly recovered manually [img]smile.gif[/img] This is one more done.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Old August 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 114
flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++flykiller Citizen++
Quote:
I'm with the KISS crowd on this.
well, good luck with that. the subject matter is not simple. agility vs maneuver, atmospheres, missile flight times, sand deployment, gravity wells, sensors, ecm, charge times ....

there's already book 2, high guard, and mayday. seems to me the problem is already solved as good as it's ever going to be solved, short of a graphics program.
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:
Well I still think "The Role-Playing Space Combat System"* put out as a free pdf for T4 was a great way to go. Unfortunately I can't seem to find current sources for it as a download.
There's a reason there's such a faint web presence for the RPSCS.

Even the authors didn't use it. Ah, T4's demise didn't help, but Eris never used it.

And although QSDS was comprehensive, well-formatted, and had straightforward table lookups, it doesn't feel quick, and doesn't look quick. It feels and looks like a gearhead product, a cross between a electronics catalog and logarithm tables.

It is not powerful enough to satisfy gearheads, who could simply use Andy Akins' FFS2 spreadsheet.
Tools Link
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Noble

Gallery : 0
mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Two of my favourite sets of ship combat rules for use in an rpg are the ones from the Cyberpunk space supplements and White Wolf's Trinity.
Old August 19th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Well T4 is the reason our group didn't use it but still I gave it a good read and a couple quick test runs back then and it seemed good to me. I seem to recall seeing before that Eris didn't use it. Do you know what the main problem points were?

I'll have to look at it again, it's been a while, and maybe this read will put it in a different light for me.

As for simplifying, well it'd be nice to keep it fast moving and easy and I think there are ways to do it. As you say CT had a few ways that weren't too bad. It'd be nice if it scaled well up and down to be able to handle vehicle combat in the same format and go beyond a few ships to fleet ops. Even if it was just the way MT handled the combat scaling (again, not actually used but looked at).

Old August 19th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Berg Citizen
Maybe when someone does each of the deckplans they can include a damage table on the side so each ship has there own. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Tom
Old August 19th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Not a bad idea. But it doesn't even have to be based on (or wait for) deckplans. Each ship design, included or home built should have it's own damage table included in the writeup.

Old August 19th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Berg Citizen
When we figure out starship combat, we design a standard table that each ship uses. By standard I mean 2d6, 3d6, etc.

Tom
Old August 19th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jame Citizen
I never really understood, or even looked at in depth, the space combat system, but I did enjoy T4's take on the assigning of damage...
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares