Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 11:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Cymew Citizen
I friend of mine are constantly bitching about how much about the Traveller universe he finds strange.

One of the things he don't like, and talks about quite a lot, is how the Solomani are portrayed.

I'm beginning to get a little sick of hearing him rant about it.

How are the Solomani really? Are they collectivistic evil pseudo nazis or have I listened to much to my ranting friend?
Old June 2nd, 2003, 11:51 AM

lightsenshi Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to lightsenshi
Yes, we're all evil sadistic bastards bent on world domination.

And Pinky, quit sticking your tail into the light socket.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 01:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Mythmere Citizen
We have met the Solomani, and they are us. [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]
Old June 2nd, 2003, 01:49 PM

Tom Schoene Citizen
In some versions, the Solmani COnfederation certainly do read as fascistic and racist, with Solmani Security (SolSec) doing a fair impression of the East German Stasi and being suprisingly popular despite it. In others (notably GT, I would say) the Solomani get a more even-handed appraisal. But they are definitely not particularly nice people in any version.

The GT timeline suggests the Confederation is suffering serious internal problems, in part because of too much SolSec interference. Think Eastern Europe, c. 1990.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 06:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

clementk Citizen
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Cymew:
How are the Solomani really? Are they collectivistic evil pseudo nazis or have I listened to much to my ranting friend?
Well just keep in mind that though the offical government itself (or at least elements of it) may be reprehensible the average Solomani citizen or even party member/official may more than likely not be. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also depending on the time line there may be several nominally Solomoni worlds under Imperium Military rule in the Solomani Rim. I've used this for my latest T20 character to turn the tables on the normal perception of Solomani. She's not liked much by the Solomani Movement either.

And there are also a good number of semi or totally independant colony worlds that have little to nothing to do with the offical party line. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

IMTU I'd have the Solomani as similar to a long standing Despotic type goverment starting to come apart at the seams under the weight of its own propaganda. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] For me Solomani represent the almost insane drive to succeed [not quite Nietzche's Will to Power though] in Humans, while Vilani are more of a cyclical view of Humaniti. (ala China, most early American cultures, etc.) [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

Though FWIW the Solomani character is question (Asu-chibi-chan!) is of mostly Asian descent. However her Half-Irish father gave her enough wanderlust to want to Travell. [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

Casey
Old June 2nd, 2003, 07:13 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
I find it interesting the protrayal of the Confederation government as evil. It is true that the Confederation has a long arm and intervenes more in the worlds of its realm more than the Imperium. But, as a confederation, it is made up of hundreads of statelets which each have greater or lesser degrees of liberty. Think of Earth, in the 21st century, looking at the current United Nations setup as a model. The UN itself is not elected, but, several countries have complex proceedures to get Ambassadors appointed (which includes those of the UN)...whilst, it is true that the UN has evolved into something more akin to the European Parliament. It would be interesting to ask how can the powers of the Secretary General of Sol. Confederation be limited? Thus far, it has resided in a balance of power at the top institutions of power - SolSec, Military, Judicary, and the General Assembly. So I don't think of the Solomani as inheritantly evil but just lucky enough to have the government they deserve to borrow a Czech expression.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:50 PM

sandman Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to sandman Send a message via AIM to sandman
Quote:
Originally posted by Cymew:
I friend of mine are constantly bitching about how much about the Traveller universe he finds strange.

One of the things he don't like, and talks about quite a lot, is how the Solomani are portrayed.
Why is it that the "Evil"/"Bad" have to be the Others? Why shouldn't it be "Our Future Selves" that have gone bad? It's Sci-Fi. But it has some bases in the truth of Human Nature: We're not always the "Good" Ones ourselves.

Reminds me of why I liked B5: It wasn't US VS THEM, it was US VS US. Always portaying the Humans from Terra (i.e: Solomani) as the "Good Ones" in every SF shows/games is a superiority complexe I find annoying.

It's both Good and Refreshing to have something that is out of the Rubber Stamp Sci-Fi. IMHO, the Solomani being the "Bad Ones" instead of the Imperium serves to show the players "Think Different, You're not in Kensas Anymore".
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:51 PM

sandman Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to sandman Send a message via AIM to sandman
By the way.... they're not necessarily EEEEvil, but they're not running a Paradise Island either.

Just like the Imperium can have worlds ranging from the Perfect Heaven to the Perfect Hell. As long as Trade isn't suffering.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:59 PM

TKalbfus Citizen
I think the name Solomani Confederation should give you a hint. They are more like the Confederate States of America than Nazi Germany. They don't include aliens, don't trust aliens, don't treat aliens as equals, and don't give aliens any inalienable rights. Their is no Hitler-like figure running things, there is a General Secretary who is elected by member worlds. It is a republic of a sort, though not of the nicest sort if you are an alien. You have to be human to be a citizen. That's my interpretation of it.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 02:37 AM

Cymew Citizen
A lot of interesting feedback from all of you.

I realize this must have been discussed to death many times before...

I think the main problem with Solomani, for my friend that is, is that it doesn't sound plausible at all. Last night he told me he thinks it odd that there are worlds now nominally under Imperium control that wants to get back to Solomani control, and he has a hard time getting how anyone can want to get back under the yoke of stasi...

I haven't read much about Solomani myself, but GT Solomani Rim is one of the sources my friend uses while saying they are unlikley as portrayed.

I'm beginning to think that colonial England or the CSA in space sounds very beliveable!