Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old September 11th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
I guess with all the time invested in the tactical map, loading the cargo without incident seems a little unlikely. Doesn't it.

... sigh.
That is does, but I'm brimming with confidence that this crew could hold off an entire army of Aslan jumping out of battleships and supported by several divisions of feral, rabid Vargr.

They sure seem jumpy enough that if anyone drops a box it'll be a massacre.

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:42 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Hampton will land nose to the west. We'll do the ro-ro thing and have the loaders come in the nose and leave through the stern.
Hmm. That isn't the way they usually do it, but then they usually don't have a ship that can do it that way. Usual procedure (as Nero will tell you - wait, which thread is this? - oh well, no need to say it twice) is for three or four loaders (these are heavy-duty forklifts able to lift 1/4 dTon containers weighing up to 25 tons - the containers you are moving the metal in at 1/4 dTon with apparent weight of 20 tons, due to built-in gravs taking off half the weight)... umm, where was I?

OK, anyway, starting over again, Nero will tell you (or maybe already has if you did any planning over comms) that the usual procedure is for four or five loaders to form a line bringing stuff up out of secure storage, driving it to the loading door of the ship, at which point the ship's cargo-handling hoists take over and the loader goes back for another container.

However, since your ship is a different layout, he may be persuaded to try this new idea of drive-thru loading. One consideration though, is that these forklifts aren't high-speed vehicles, so there would be some dead time, driving back from where they exit the ship, back the full length of the ship and down into secure storage again. Which way would be more efficient sounds like an exam problem from my pre-law operations management days - headache time!

Quote:
The doors are wide enough for two containers to come in at a time and split off to either side in the bay.
[OOC: Hmm... maybe... let's see... each container is a 1.5m cube, and I wouldn't think the loader would need to be a lot wider. I've actually never driven one, although I think it would be similar to driving a tractor w a load on the front, just closer to the ground. So yeah, looks like both bow and stern cargo doors are 9m wide, should be no problem. Not sure how many loaders Nero has available; I guess I ought to decide on reasonable range of numbers and roll for it. OK, he has 6 loaders, so you can figure out how you want to work w that.]

Quote:
I'll keep an eye on the front and Donoma can watch the rear. If thing go south I can assist outside getting out through the port side lock. If things go really south I can use the top turret.
[OOC: Umm, top turret is missiles... Although I do remember mention somewhere of using sandcaster as anti-personnel like a giant shotgun, probably not so good if you have friends anywhere near the foes.]

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:59 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Hmm. That isn't the way they usually do it, but then they usually don't have a ship that can do it that way. Usual procedure (as Nero will tell you - wait, which thread is this? - oh well, no need to say it twice) is for three or four loaders (these are heavy-duty forklifts able to lift 1/4 dTon containers weighing up to 25 tons - the containers you are moving the metal in at 1/4 dTon with apparent weight of 20 tons, due to built-in gravs taking off half the weight)... umm, where was I?

OK, anyway, starting over again, Nero will tell you (or maybe already has if you did any planning over comms) that the usual procedure is for four or five loaders to form a line bringing stuff up out of secure storage, driving it to the loading door of the ship, at which point the ship's cargo-handling hoists take over and the loader goes back for another container.

However, since your ship is a different layout, he may be persuaded to try this new idea of drive-thru loading. One consideration though, is that these forklifts aren't high-speed vehicles, so there would be some dead time, driving back from where they exit the ship, back the full length of the ship and down into secure storage again. Which way would be more efficient sounds like an exam problem from my pre-law operations management days - headache time!

[OOC: Hmm... maybe... let's see... each container is a 1.5m cube, and I wouldn't think the loader would need to be a lot wider. I've actually never driven one, although I think it would be similar to driving a tractor w a load on the front, just closer to the ground. So yeah, looks like both bow and stern cargo doors are 9m wide, should be no problem. Not sure how many loaders Nero has available; I guess I ought to decide on reasonable range of numbers and roll for it. OK, he has 6 loaders, so you can figure out how you want to work w that.]

[OOC: Umm, top turret is missiles... Although I do remember mention somewhere of using sandcaster as anti-personnel like a giant shotgun, probably not so good if you have friends anywhere near the foes.]
Well waddaya want..the ground crew wasn't around to guide me and show more than, "Yeah hey buddy- put your ship over there. Yeah yeah thats fine, whatever."

And the top turret is closest if time is of the essence. Hampton can slave the lasers to it but he wasn't about to use the missiles.

Old September 11th, 2013, 11:04 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

[OOC: FYI guys, I'm currently on page 64 of 66 in this IC thread, trying to get caught up. I see that some stuff I have responded to got sorted out later, so right now I am just going to get caught up reading all the way through without replying to anything.

Re dispositions of people, I see y'all allocating your security, but whatever plan you end up using for loading the ship will need some people w Cargo skill.

Of the plans I have seen suggested so far, I would mention that if you are using the ship's handling systems you need at least one Cargo-trained crewperson directing the "grabbing" of the container and directing where it is to be placed (this can be done at Security Station console or by datapad), then another Cargo-trained crewperson at the destination of that container to take over the control (probably by datapad) of setting it down exactly where it needs to go, and it if is stacked on top of another container, then latching them together for added stability. If you are running double rows of unloading/grabbing, then double the needed crew to four; if only having one container "grabbed" at a time, but then routing to two different locations for setting down, you can manage with three (one at grabber, one at each setting down location).

If you go w the drive-thru idea (although I just read Henry's security suggestion of keeping all non-crew off the ship, and I'm pretty sure Gayne will agree w that if I can get him to post), then you need at least one Cargo-trained crewperson at each set-down location to direct the loader-drivers. You might want to have someone using the hoist to lift and record weight of each container as it enters the ship, then put it back on the loader - that would slow things down a lot, but otherwise you'd lose exact data on mass-distribution within the ship.

Of PCs, only Doc explicitly has Cargo-1; anybody else w time in Merchants will have Cargo-0. Of NPCs, Bruno has Cargo-2, while Janna and Benjamin have Cargo-1.

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:08 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

[Max]
As the ship lands and the first cargo load rolls aboard the ship, Max comes to his senses. "If the fate of the ship comes down to me defending the ship with this shotgun, we're pretty much already in deep ... water. No more caffeine for this group for a while." Max says to himself. Then he selects a spot outside in the shadow of the ship and drags out a table, a portable generator and a griddle. He places some cups and a big pitcher of sweet tea (decaf) at one end and the griddle at the other end and begins making Monte Cristo sandwiches for anyone that stops for a break and needs one. The shotgun is secured near the generator, out of the way when Max is cooking, but close enough to keep an eye on.

[It is getting close to lunch local time, and cooking requires some prep time.]

Last edited by atpollard; September 12th, 2013 at 09:34 AM..
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:21 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

(OOC: seeing one problem I don't want to forget to mention: there is a "book" version of a Launch w a single laser, and there is another "book" version of a launch with a rack of 3 missiles. The original plans Sabredog sent me specified the missiles, so that is what I put in the Ship Document. Now, someone has mentioned your Launch having a laser...

I really think a laser is more likely to be useful to your group, so I don't mind if you change your minds right now and want to retcon this. Just decide now, because we won't be flip-flopping.]

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
ErianFrost Citizen

Quote:
Hampton switches to Kalos' private frequency, "After spending this fine morning watching everyone run around with maps and getting all tactical n' stuff, worrying about incoming mortar shells and aliens from space I just had a crazy thought. What if we just fry everyone out there with the lasers, take half the goods and go be pirates? That's got to be less stressful for some of the crew, right?"
[OOC: Kalos is pretty sure Hampton is joking, but just to be on the safe side...]

"In my experience, Captain, few pirates manage to retire. Not to mention, we've made a Deal with Mr. Vulpinerrim. I don't think I see any way to justify double-crossing him."
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:27 PM

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
(OOC) If I turn on the top turret fire control to use for target acquisition in say, search mode, will I cook anyone outside the ship while I use it to scan from incoming aircraft? Likewise, will the ship's main sensors cook everyone outside if those are used, or would the top turrets be OK for the personnel on the ground who would be shielded by the ship's hull?

That would spot anything out to damn near the gas giant and keep us from losing an Air/Raft when it gets shot out of the sky by a laser or missile long before the guy in it sees incoming threats.
Maybe real radars might cook bystanders (I remember seeing video of a wad of tinfoil tossed up in front of a radar emitter), but I don't want sensors doing that IMTU. For one thing, it is added complication; for another, it is yet another powerful anti-personnel weapon. (No need for guns, just power up the radars and microwave nearby enemies!) So either your active sensors work on something different than radar, or else it is more magic stuff (*sigh*), but anyway, active sensors are not a microwave weapon and are not a danger to bystanders.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:34 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
(OOC: seeing one problem I don't want to forget to mention: there is a "book" version of a Launch w a single laser, and there is another "book" version of a launch with a rack of 3 missiles. The original plans Sabredog sent me specified the missiles, so that is what I put in the Ship Document. Now, someone has mentioned your Launch having a laser...

I really think a laser is more likely to be useful to your group, so I don't mind if you change your minds right now and want to retcon this. Just decide now, because we won't be flip-flopping.]
Laser

Old September 11th, 2013, 11:40 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErianFrost View Post
[OOC: Kalos is pretty sure Hampton is joking, but just to be on the safe side...]

"In my experience, Captain, few pirates manage to retire. Not to mention, we've made a Deal with Mr. Vulpinerrim. I don't think I see any way to justify double-crossing him."
"You're fancy lawyer talk will be the death of me, Kalos. Fine, we'll make an honest dollar this time but I think I'd look pretty roguish with a patch on one eye."

Closed Thread