Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
gcbright Citizen
Default How do your players Professions affect your games?

Hi,

Ever since I noticed Tbeard99's note that he was a lawyer, I have wondered how having a lawyer in his group might affect the game.

In our games, players professions really do color some aspects of our games in very cool ways.

A women in our group has her Masters in Nursing, so she just didn't like the crisp clean way medicine worked in traveller. Now in our games, we have no generic drugs. Each drug is manufactured on different worlds, have different side effects, drug interactions and overdose effects.

A constant subplot with her pc is to check out the pharmacology of each planet visited and fully research the drugs before restocking the ship's medicine cabinet. She also publishes a newsletter (that is how we justify using her drug resource in our other games)

It is also interesting how such a minor thing just adds a little flavor to the game. (No, I don't want that healing drug, it gives me a rash, I prefer brand X).

So does the real world background of your players flavor your campaign and if so how?

Thanks
Old October 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

The only time I recall ever seeing external expertise overtly applied inside a game was ages ago. It wasn't profession, simply knowledge. And it wasn't Traveller. It was D&D. So it may not be at all what you're looking for...

Someone in the party fell off a high cliff. The mage of the group immediately declared he'd cast Feather Fall on them to slow the decent and save the character. That was why he had the spell after all. The ref was ready to accept it and all looked rosy...

...then another player pulled out a pocket calculator, and after a couple quick clicks announced that by the time the mage cast the spell the falling character would have already gone splat at the bottom. It was kind of funny in a way.

It took the game publishers several years to correct the casting time of that spell so it would actually work in such a circumstance.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+

Well, when I was first playing RPGs in general, it was with my fellow Marines (air wing mostly).

We really tended to organized tactics & quick decisions/actions.

In a OrcCon Traveller tournament in LA in 1985 (I think), we blew the mind of the Ref. There were 4 of us (who regularly played together... AD&D, Traveller, Gamma World, Champions) in one 8-player tournament session.

We were all in the stolen grav-limo, heading back to the ship with the stolen android, being pursued by the local cools.

At a certain point, when we crash-landed the grav-limo, the Ref had everyone write down their next action... without any consultation between the players.

When he read our 4, his jaw dropped. Just from what we had learned of each other's characters' skills and knowledge during the session, we all declared our own parts of a well-planned break-out/evasion/cover-fire sequence that allowed all of us to reach our ship and escape the planet.

Without talking or reading each other's notes.

Similarly, we all played Twilight 2000 a bit differently than the civilians we sometimes gamed with did... I wonder why?

Last edited by BlackBat242; October 3rd, 2008 at 11:25 PM..
Old October 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Ran Targas Citizen

My latest group is all engineers so details are everything; physics and chemistry better be right or the illusion is broken and the game suffers.

I did have a doctor player once who insisted on treating traumatic injuries despite not having any medical skill; band aids and aspirin are one thing but gun shot wounds are another.
Old October 5th, 2008, 12:44 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit savage's Blog
savage Citizen
Default Player Characters

The first time my wife, an analytically educated refined woman played we started with Shadowrun and handed her a street urchin character. A bath for this individual was almost a weekly event. Her life was her cargo van and survival. We also pointed out that staying in character resulted in point based rewards at the end of each session.

Interesting response... she made it her own and dropped the rhetoric of day to day life in favor of playing the character. Crispy always has an a sentimental meaning for her. So the same should apply to any Traveller campaign. Point our that this is role play and story telling... not reality.
Sarriiu of Depot, CORR1511 50 KB
Count Efate, SPIN1705, Mar Skull, SPIN2420
Knight Ngimi ANTA2535, Mar Syzygy SOLO3006
TAS LISH2836
http://corridordepot.blogspot.com/
Cry Havoc and let slip the VARGRs of war.
William Shakespeare's Revised Works,"Julius Caesar", Act 3 scene 1. MTU654
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I'm a Substitute Teacher... when I was playing in a BTVS game, my GM had old-fashioned arena scheduling... with punch cards... for a game supposedly set in 2005.

He also had rules that violated HIPPA compliance for the school nurse (My character).

Now, most of my players over the years have been military or at least JROTC or CAP cadets. So almost all of us have a decent knowledge of guns, rank systems, and military customs and courtesies.

I'm also an SCA court herald... so when we play Pendragon, or Traveller, Courts of the Nobles are pretty well handled. Now, mind you, not all courts look like proper courts... but when they don't, it IS on purpose.

Most of my friends have studied at least 2 martial arts each (not counting Gun-Fu), so we tend to appreciate realistic martial arts. Several of us studied armed martial arts. We also appreciated the Street Fighter RPG... proving we can enjoy Chanbarra... but we usually like to have any detail in the system at least make sense.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

gcbright Citizen
Default Nothing like playing with Marines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBat242 View Post
Well, when I was first playing RPGs in general, it was with my fellow Marines (air wing mostly).

We really tended to organized tactics & quick decisions/actions.

Similarly, we all played Twilight 2000 a bit differently than the civilians we sometimes gamed with did... I wonder why?
There is nothing like playing with marines to get really good SOPs (esp. air wing). Back when I started traveller, our Friday night group was down at Cherry Point NC. Half civilian, half air wing marines. Our first ten min. of any session were to assign combat roles for when trouble started, always worked like a charm.

Thanks
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

ThunderChilde Citizen
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChilde Send a message via Yahoo to ThunderChilde

BTRC published an operatives field manual, as a civilian student of the military, I have found it invaluable on several occasions. All thought out SOP can be the glue that holds a team together, for some people its as replelent as a skunk.

On a seperate point, I loved Street Fighter when we were playing it. I am not a big fan of the rest of White Wolf's games, SF however rocked. So did the supplements, its nice when they add to the game but don't overshadow what came earlier(Palladium).

BTRC: Blacksburg Tactical Research Company, Milleniums End and related products like Guns! Guns! Guns!, which I am given to understand was a source for FF&S.

There I was surrounded by friends, alone with my dice, when suddenly.....

If you're going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill

Unapologetic supporter of MGT, warts and all.

A computer once beat me at Chess, but it was no match for me at Kick Boxing
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbright View Post
Half civilian, half air wing marines. Our first ten min. of any session were to assign combat roles for when trouble started, always worked like a charm.
Could you write some of that up and post it, please? I'm sure that kind of info would be great for beginners or people without combat training.
Old October 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Baron

Gallery : 79
Visit Darkhstarr's Blog
Darkhstarr has disabled reputation

Not much, I'm afraid. I'm an accountant by schooling. Then I got into hotel reservations, now I'm a mail clerk for an insurance company.

My hobbies & reading have had more influence, seaborne transportation, piracy, diplomacy, archaeology, anthropology, paleontology & being a member of the L-5 Society back in the 70's.

"That which does not kill you has made a tactical error." Rule #35 of 'The 7 Habits of Highly Successful Pirates'.

"Sometimes your purpose in life is to be a bad example." Baron Manaxian Roakheil Darkhstarr